StarImage3 Update

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: StarImage3 Update

Unread post by Avateur »

Corbob wrote:Has anyone tried making the three images a single animated gif to morph them. This is pretty much the time line idea but with a twist.
Yes, right here. alstrong's post.
Corbob
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Corbob »

Avateur wrote:
Corbob wrote:Has anyone tried making the three images a single animated gif to morph them. This is pretty much the time line idea but with a twist.
Yes, right here. alstrong's post.
Hmmm, thanks.. It doesn't seem like anything there.. Are there any tags on the images maybe even hidden? I'm sure someone has thought of that but it's worth a shot. Try opening the original images in notepad for any hidden hints.
WFGeppetto
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by WFGeppetto »

I think it is an elapsed time thing. Maybe every 16hrs? Also, when it comes to the 3D mapping of these, I don't see many practical ways of doing it. You could map them all about a sphere, but then you would only have a new way of seeing the same thing. The only other idea I have for 3d would be to assume an orientation that seemed correct, and then apply the "z" dimension to each pic. In other words pic 1 is X wide by Y high at Z=0, pic 2 is x wide by y high at Z=0+/- unit measurement. Like if you stacked them on top of each other with the appropriate amount of space between. I could map that in AutoCAD, but nobody could view it that didn't have CAD, and It would take forever, and I don't think it would help.

I know that wasn't very helpful, but I'm just trying to help elimnate possiblities. I am pretty sure, these are just here for us to see, and try to understand, but I don't think that we will have to manipulate them. I bet, when server5 opens we all just say "oh". I like the 16hr theory.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

The 16hr theory is interesting... The one question I keep asking myself is why did they blatantly leave repeated groups of stars in the pictures? It could mean something, or it could simply be someone working on the ARG getting sloppy/lazy.
WFGeppetto
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by WFGeppetto »

They left patterns so that we would see that it isn't an actual picture. I think the idea was to prevent us from scanning for constellations, and speculating upon which part of our sky this could be. Didn't work very well, but I think that's why they did it.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

That's a decent idea. Makes sense. Still bothers me a lot, though. Has anyone catalogued all of the repeating groups (other than the few posts only pointing out one or two)? I'll go see if there's anything at the wiki.... Haven't seen anything at CI or UF.
Mrguy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Mrguy »

Has anybody thought that the symbol could be a time line? Each segment is a plot of time?
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Well its possible, but as of now it doesn't look like it. It takes a LONG, LONG, LONG time for stars to visibly move. There are galaxies that are moving at MILLIONS of miles per hour but appear to be barely moving (if at all) to us (via Hubble telescope). And these are stars, hence the name StarImageX, not planets. So this cannot be the "every 16 hrs a planet is taken".

EDIT: If you compare the star alignments used by the Egyptians to set up the pyramids, you find that there is barely a difference in position. The only difference is that our planet is tilted because we have a small precession about the poles of a few degrees. Thats 3,000 yrs ago. Someone check me on the alignment, if you need to.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

c2h6o wrote:Well its possible, but as of now it doesn't look like it. It takes a LONG, LONG, LONG time for stars to visibly move. There are galaxies that are moving at MILLIONS of miles per hour but appear to be barely moving (if at all) to us (via Hubble telescope). And these are stars, hence the name StarImageX, not planets. So this cannot be the "every 16 hrs a planet is taken".

EDIT: If you compare the star alignments used by the Egyptians to set up the pyramids, you find that there is barely a difference in position. The only difference is that our planet is tilted because we have a small precession about the poles of a few degrees. Thats 3,000 yrs ago. Someone check me on the alignment, if you need to.
Yeah, this is why I've been doubtful about the pictures being a similar area of the sky over time... Like I've seen others say, it doesn't appear like we are going to get anywhere until we have the last two maps... And even then, it might still be difficult to find the meaning in them.
Yawar
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Yawar »

Yeah, stars don't move that fast, but their visibility does change. They do put out star charts to show what you or I could see when we look up in different months.

I like the time lapse idea though, and I'm wondering if it links into the infestation image. Perhaps it is a time lapse showing the spread of flood infected systems or the loss of life on those systems?