Server 3 Content General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Dunia
Data [Conditional]

Re: Server 3 Content General Discussion

Unread post by Dunia »

Sable wrote:We have no wave function to start with, so how can we use the Equation to project that function forward or back?
They did give us a wave frequency. 719hz

Maybe another portion of the wave function will arrive later.

/EDIT: Didn't they also give us pulse as well? That would give us wavelength right?
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Dunia wrote:
Sable wrote:We have no wave function to start with, so how can we use the Equation to project that function forward or back?
They did give us a wave frequency. 719hz

Maybe another portion of the wave function will arrive later.

/EDIT: Didn't they also give us pulse as well? That would give us wavelength right?
You would see a lower case omega sign in there if there was a frequency to the wave. And, it isn't the standard wave that you're thinking about. If it is an "ocean" wave, then there only a limited area that it can exist. It would have to be between some plates or something. Otherwise, the wave function appears as a "hill" or something, going to 0 at +/- infinity.

EDIT: Oh, and the wavelength for a light pulse would be 2.998E8/719 = 416968.011 m if it pertains to the Halo universe.
Sable
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Sable »

A wave function is not a wave length.

An expression of 719Hz indicates an oscillation in some medium of 719 times per second in a wave form.

This is not a wave function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function

That's the Wiki on a wave function.

We have not, as near as I have been able to tell, been given a wave function.
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Sable wrote:A wave function is not a wave length.

An expression of 719Hz indicates an oscillation in some medium of 719 times per second in a wave form.

This is not a wave function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function

That's the Wiki on a wave function.

We have not, as near as I have been able to tell, been given a wave function.
I didn't say that the wave function's frequency was 719 hz. I said that for a light pulse. Read my post again. And that psi times psi_bar is the wave function squared. But, for a problem in QM, there can be a wave function that has an infinite number of possible wavelengths. Look up the infinite well problem in a Wiki. In this case, it is the lowest energy one, hence the "ground state" notation.
Sable
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Sable »

C2 -

My apologies, I wasn't actually responding to your post. I was responding to Dunia's - to my knowledge, you can't express wave function probability in terms of oscillatory waveforms, ergo it would appear the phrasing of 719Hz is irrelevant to the equation.
Dunia
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Dunia »

Properties of the Wave Function

wave speed (v) - the speed of the wave's propagation

amplitude (A) - the maximum magnitude of the displacement from equilibrium, in SI units of meters. The amplitude is indicated in blue in the picture.

period (T) - is the time for one wave cycle (two pulses, or from crest to crest or trough to trough), in SI units of seconds (though it may be referred to as "seconds per cycle").

frequency (f) - the number of cycles in a unit of time. The SI unit of frequncy is the hertz (Hz) and 1 Hz = 1 cycle/s = 1 s-1
angular frequency (omega) - is 2pi times the frequency, in SI units of radians per second.

wavelength (lambda) - the distance between any two points at corresponding positions on successive repetitions in the wave, so (for example) from one crest or trough to the next, in SI units of meters. The wavelength is indicated in red in the picture.

wave number (k) - also called the propagation constant, this useful quantity is defined as 2 pi divided by the wavelength, so the SI units are radians per meter.

pulse - one half-wavelength, from equilibrium back

Some useful equations in defining the above quantities are:
v = lambda / T = lambda f
omega = 2 pi f = 2 pi/T
T = 1 / f = 2 pi/omega
k = 2pi/omega
omega = vk
I'm trying to get up to speed with my limited physics knowledge.
I thought that frequency was a part of the wave function. Based on what I'm quoting above.
The pulse that I'm referring to is actually the one that AR mentioned and then showed up on server 1.
What I was trying to do is back into the wave function, but this might be beyond me.

EDIT: My basic thought on this problem was that we were not supposed to solve it (agreeing with what you stated above). Just to plug the numbers into each part of the equation that we were given in the picture. That would give us a string of digits for perhaps an IP address or "FIND KIOSK", GPS coords, etc. I'm not trying to argue for a position I really don't understand, just showing what lead me to my statement. Thanks for the wiki link, but it's incredibly confusing.

http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/waves/wavefun.htm

Has a section on wave functions that are periodic functions of time. Is much easier to follow than the wiki for physics noobs like me.
Last edited by Dunia on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
s1r render
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by s1r render »

Saw some people mentioning slip space so I figured id add my two cents. Sorry if this has been posted before. Slip space is how the covenant and the UNSC move around to different star systems. Also according to http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Slipspace:
The Forerunner were somehow capable of advanced message carrier waves in Slipspace. This way, messages could travel at great speeds throughout their empire.
Just thought Id throw that in.
Dunia
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Dunia »

I looked for the infinite well problem in Wiki and had no results. It did bring up the "Infinite Monkey" theorum. :lol:
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Dunia wrote:I looked for the infinite well problem in Wiki and had no results. It did bring up the "Infinite Monkey" theorum. :lol:
Heh, maybe chimps are planning to take over, aka The Planet of the Apes. But, the infinite well is really extraneous info. I think I'm reading way too deep into this. I think the main message to carry away is that the Forerunner and Humans use the same maths and sciences, further indicating a connection. I'm going to end my ramblings about QM because its starting to flood the boards, and is probably unimportant. But I think that we all learned something new from this. 8-)
Zero
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Zero »

Infinite might relate to the Space Time contium.