Server 3 Content General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

beelzebub
Data [Conditional]

Re: Server 3 Content General Discussion

Unread post by beelzebub »

So, I have a question which I haven't seen discussed... who exactly is the Contender?
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Um...Marlon Brando? ;)

Wait, I'm sorry, he coulda been a contender. :P

Seriously, that's a good question. Is the "contender" a reference to a Reclaimer, or some other world-saving hero (or goat)?
Exiled Zealot
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Exiled Zealot »

Is there anything in Stephen Hawkings' book itself that could be a potential clue? I don't have "The Universe in a Nutshell", but even a page number (depends on the copy of the work I guess) or whatever could be a juicy inkling.

Does the text have anything useful near where the equation was found?

I know how to derive the equation for Schrodinger's, and I know how to do a few problems given a specified potential energy of the system... but I don't think that level of complexity is what Bungie's going to use.

Everybody here should think "Occam's Razor".
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I feel like "the contender" is us. Maybe we were already being groomed for succession, before this whole Flood mess even came up. Like the Forerunner knew that, like any civilization, eventually they would be destroyed. So they looked at the races that had sprouted up elsewhere in the galaxy and picked us as the most likely to advance to their own level someday.

Like, they were always planning on giving us the keys to the car, you know?
sassafras
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sassafras »

maimbot 9000 wrote:I feel like "the contender" is us. Maybe we were already being groomed for succession, before this whole Flood mess even came up. Like the Forerunner knew that, like any civilization, eventually they would be destroyed. So they looked at the races that had sprouted up elsewhere in the galaxy and picked us as the most likely to advance to their own level someday.

Like, they were always planning on giving us the keys to the car, you know?
That, personally doesn't make much sense to me because all we really know about the forerunner is that they were a race of (as JS puts it) "Questionable Morals" and therefore it's not a far stretch to guess that they probably weren't thinking about how to help another civilization as much as they were to stay alive. Although the idea that only humans are Reclaimers and can activate Halo still intrigues me.

That's off topic though...

Anyway, I also wanted to chime in on the possible relation of the wave function to the idea of it being related to slipspace of some sort. I think that this too is pushing it a little too far. First of all, the Schrodinger function only applies to our traditional four-dimensional spacetime (one dimension being time) whereas slipspace is stated to be a manifestation of the underlying multiple curled dimensions in our universe. If you want an idea of what that's like, read about String Theory or pick up a copy of The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. In essence, they just aren't compatible.

Not to mention the whole undeniable fact that any third grader could have solved any of the puzzles to the previous servers (Whether they would have had the insight to apply Lumiere is debatable) so I wouldn't count on this equation being some sort of challenge for us post-bacheloreatte types.
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

I missed servor 3 because I was away looking at colleges! The moon-chart said August 1-3, oh well. Could someone give me a one or two sentence recap about any new clues for number 4, which I *will* get...

Also, I heard that Servor 3 needed a mic? I don't have one for the computer, so was it an upload choice? (For future reference)
churcchh
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by churcchh »

in response to the contender question,mabye the contender is the arbiter

MC=reclaimer
Arbiter=contender

just guessing though
WillBurke
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by WillBurke »

Fairly sure this isnt really of any importance but one of the 'flood containment control' links was to a dublin-based website (amond other - i know)...Schrodinger established the theoretical physics centre in Trinity College Dublin (my own college), we have a lecture theatre named after him...maybe the glyph is carved into one of the benchs...now how deadly would that be?
supremely
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by supremely »

churcchh wrote:in response to the contender question,mabye the contender is the arbiter
MC=reclaimer
Arbiter=contender
just guessing though
hmmm... but they're working together. contender would mean
Wiktionary wrote: Noun
Singular
contender
Plural
contenders
contender (plural contenders)
Someone who competes with one or more other people
adversary... i mean sure, they WERE adversaries but now they're stuck in some weird hybrid type of partnership. it doesnt fit.
churcchh
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by churcchh »

yes they working together now but what about later