Flood from outside galaxy?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Baratos
Data [Conditional]

Flood from outside galaxy?

Unread post by Baratos »

We may have been fools to think that all intelligence follows the rules we've set
The Flood is no idiot parasite
{/No simple infection to be cured and cauterized/}
It has a center, a Mind
{/And that discovery gave us a way to fight it/}
{/But when the mind realized we had its measure/}
it spoke to us
{/Mockingly, Dismissively/}
It has done this before
{/Elsewhere/}
From one of the Server 2 threads, a transcription of most of the writing in the Server 2 video. The question I have is: where is the other place the Flood have infested?
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Flood from outside galaxy?

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Yes, I think we just found out, pretty conclusively, that the Flood are not the creation of the Forerunner. They are from... elsewhere... and it sounds like the Forerunner were massively unprepared to fight them.

I have to say I got chills watching that video, learning that the Flood had conquered, I presume, other galaxies. That the infection is bigger than anyone thought. Hell, maybe we're the only uninfected galaxy left.
Icy Inferno
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Icy Inferno »

Maybe Halo 3 doesn't have a happy ending...

Considering that the flood completely erased a race that was so far beyond anything that the covenant or humanity could ever create it makes you wonder how in the heck humanity is going to fight off a parasite that has conquered not only the forerunners, but other galaxys and survived a life ending blast on the thing that blasted them (the flood were discovered on halo is what I'm refering to).

Not to mention that it seems like humanity and the covenant are going to beat the hell out of each then have to deal with the flood.
johny 5
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by johny 5 »

I brought up a similar idea a while back, and everyone told me to STFU.

Basically, the argument goes like this:

1. When the Halos are activated, they destroy all life in the galaxy
2. The Halos were activated 100k years ago
3. Humans were not destroyed 100k years ago

Therefore, Humans did not exist in the same galaxy as the Halos. My theory is that the Forerunners toasted their own galaxy and sent a ship out to find a new one. They found ours, and they found Earth. They put the Ark here on Earth.

If you follow the analog from the Bible story, it makes sense that the Forerunner Ark is a method of repopulating a galaxy (or perhaps a single civilization).
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Menelven »

Except the Halo's are in our Galaxy. It would have taken a few hundred years for any Human ship to reach another Galaxy.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I really think the revelation that the Forerunner are from another galaxy (if you choose to interpret the mp3 that way) answers a lot of questions.

1. The Forerunner did not create the Flood. However, the mp3 talks about failures, and progress blinding/blocking you. So the Forerunner screwed up somehow. Maybe they inadvertently signaled the Flood? Brought them to our galaxy?

2. Flood samples were left on the Halo for us. This is why we're Reclaimers, this is why the mp3s talk about us picking up old tools and making up for mistakes and whatnot--the Forerunner knew the Flood were larger than this galaxy, and left it to us, their favorite "children," to pick up where they left off and find a way to defeat the parasite (and since the Flood are presumably prevalent in other galaxies and the spaces between, keeping a few alive for study here isn't that big a deal).

They leave behind samples of the Flood AND the way to combat them, all on one giant relic (well, seven of them). WE are meant to study the Flood, WE are meant to find a way to beat them back. And based on the end of that new e3 trailer, with the Chief quietly studying what I'm guessing is a control mechanism for the African artifact, maybe HE has to make the awful decision to activate the rings again.

And since Joe Staten indicated that the Forerunner are not around in this galaxy, perhaps they've been busy in other galaxies, trying other ways to fight the parasite. Maybe they come back here to help, maybe they're too guilty to return.
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

johny 5 wrote:I brought up a similar idea a while back, and everyone told me to STFU.

Basically, the argument goes like this:

1. When the Halos are activated, they destroy all life in the galaxy
2. The Halos were activated 100k years ago
3. Humans were not destroyed 100k years ago

Therefore, Humans did not exist in the same galaxy as the Halos. My theory is that the Forerunners toasted their own galaxy and sent a ship out to find a new one. They found ours, and they found Earth. They put the Ark here on Earth.

If you follow the analog from the Bible story, it makes sense that the Forerunner Ark is a method of repopulating a galaxy (or perhaps a single civilization).
Are you saying that the Halo's are in a different galaxy? At the end of Halo 1 they leave in a fighter craft. It would be hard for them to get back to earth if it was that far away, I think one of them might also have noticed where they were. Also the blind jump made to halo 1 was not blind but cortana used information they had got off reach.

If your saying the Halo's were fired in a different galaxy then after that they jumped into ours then, that could work.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

what about the lines saying "Reset" in the document from server 05? perhaps when the halo's fire, they arent destroyed, but "reset" into an offline state to be used again
pterodactyl
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by pterodactyl »

I don't think they are destroyed. Honestly, I believe that the force of the Halo firing sends it into another galaxy and resets it. I mean, if they are trying to kill all of the Flood's possible hosts, you would need A LOT of Halos..
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

But 343GS said that the halo's were designed to eradicate all life within THIS galaxy.
Halo: The Flood Page 256
"This installation has a maximum effective radius of twenty- five thousand light years, but once the others folow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomas to sustain the Flood."
So maybe the forerunners wanted to eliminate all life here, to keep the flood away, then secretly repopulate this galaxy after the flood no longer had an interest in it. of course that raises the question of why the forerunners would keep the flood on the halos...