Flood from outside galaxy?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Flood from outside galaxy?

Unread post by c2h6o »

I think its a very good theory. Why wouldn't the Forerunner just eliminate the rest of the Flood - the test subjects??

Imagine this - you're walking down this dark hallway, and you hear this god awful blood curdling scream coming from a room. The door is flung open, and this highly decorated war hero runs out and crashes unto the floor in a heap. He pulls out his gun, and blows his head off.

...you wouldn't want to go in there, would you? And think if you had all of them in containment, and all you had to do to eliminate them was push a button. Wouldn't you do it, even if it were to benefit the science of mankind, in some way?

They obviously are throughout the galaxy.
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kiloh Ekim »

c2h6o wrote:I think its a very good theory. Why wouldn't the Forerunner just eliminate the rest of the Flood - the test subjects??

Imagine this - you're walking down this dark hallway, and you hear this god awful blood curdling scream coming from a room. The door is flung open, and this highly decorated war hero runs out and crashes unto the floor in a heap. He pulls out his gun, and blows his head off.

...you wouldn't want to go in there, would you? And think if you had all of them in containment, and all you had to do to eliminate them was push a button. Wouldn't you do it, even if it were to benefit the science of mankind, in some way?

There's one problem with that. We have two articles of evidence that contradict one another.
Server 1:
and it seems that we pinned all of our hopes on this single suicidal plan... Millions of brave and honored souls died trying to avert this desperate, terrible solution
This easily indicates that the forerunners weren't sitting in a high-tech sofa in another galaxy while fingering the trigger of the-gun-pointed-at-the-head of ours. The reason that they kept the flood specimens on halo as to further study them; to unlock their secrets. Think about it, who wouldn't want to be able to have the power the flood have? To conquer empires, to live forever.

Then there's the matter of the other server:
BUT WHEN THE MIND REALIZED WE HAD ITS MEASURE
it spoke to us
MOCKINGLY, DISMISSIVELY
It has done this before
ELSEWHERE
There's no riddle here. "It spoke to us"... "It has done this before"... "Elsewhere" It spoke to them elsewhere, so it's not saying that the forerunners didn't make them, it's saying that the forerunners had interacted with them before, somewhere else. Only question that is left is, where? This place would have been the place of either discovery or creation of the flood. I get the feeling that we'll see this later in the ARG and it will answer all our questions, but for now we speculate.
yakaman
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by yakaman »

There's no riddle here. "It spoke to us"... "It has done this before"... "Elsewhere" It spoke to them elsewhere, so it's not saying that the forerunners didn't make them, it's saying that the forerunners had interacted with them before, somewhere else.
I disagree with this interpretation (though I acknowledge it as a logical one). To me, this meant that it had done this before, to other species, in other galaxies. That it (Gravemind, the Flood, Death) is as prevelant as life, and as widespread. Although you still might be right, and Forerunner may have had previous experience with it in their past....

What if ultimately evolution is not life vs. life, but really life vs. death? What if Gravemind is not a monument to humanity's sins, but life's? What if Gravemind is the natural result of life, and always emerges to counter life? It's anithesis?

Think about what that means - to be the antithesis of life. Think about the universality of that. Wherever life exists, death will emerge to balance the equation. What if Strep is just one of the opening salvos in what will eventually become a war with the Flood? The common cold? The Flu?

What if Gravemind is the pinnacle of Death's evolution?
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

KNOW THAT ENERGETIC AND TENACIOUS AS LIFE IS
IT HAS AN ANTITHESIS JUST AS POWERFUL
IT IS THAT THING THAT WE MUST OBLITERATE

there ya go
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

yakaman wrote:What if Gravemind is the pinnacle of Death's evolution?
:shock:

Sweet swirling onion rings. You may be on to something.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

Admiral Whitcomb wrote:KNOW THAT ENERGETIC AND TENACIOUS AS LIFE IS
IT HAS AN ANTITHESIS JUST AS POWERFUL
IT IS THAT THING THAT WE MUST OBLITERATE

there ya go
gspawn
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by gspawn »

c2h6o wrote:I think its a very good theory. Why wouldn't the Forerunner just eliminate the rest of the Flood - the test subjects??

You must not have played Halo 1...
Chief, and the whole crew with him, HAVE gone in there, and they HAVE pulled the hand off the button.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

See my post in "the flood-natural or artificial"
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

gspawn wrote:

You must not have played Halo 1...
Chief, and the whole crew with him, HAVE gone in there, and they HAVE pulled the hand off the button.
Umm...I meant without killing all of humanity in the process. They could have killed them while they were in containment for research. (But for the Forerunner, if the Flood in containment WERE the last one left...they're desire to know all in the galaxy, that seduction, would have ironically been their downfall. Something tells me that the Forerunner wouldn't use any of the evil facets of the Flood's ablilities, had they learned them. The Forerunner want to ultimately protect life, at whatever the cost.)

EDIT: Which they weren't able to do since the Covenant had already let them out. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
yakaman
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by yakaman »

Why preserve the thing that had just caused you to wipe out all life in the galaxy? Why not let it starve to death and be done with it?

The only answer I can come up with: The Forerunner believed that whatever life came next would meet up with the Flood, in some form, in some way, no matter what. Then it all makes sense....

The "samples" (Flood) stored at the "Research Facilities" (halos et al) are there to give whomever came next the one thing the Forerunners lacked: time. A head start.