Server 2 Resgistration OPEN!

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Sable
Data [Conditional]

Re: Server 2 Resgistration OPEN!

Unread post by Sable »

That's curious...

The graphic looks like part of the "Western Africa" frame from the Server 01 video, cropped and overlayed over one of the "bacteria" frames, again from Server 01.

It's kind of cool, if you stare at it your brain interprets the pixels as moving (They aren't, though).
UnrealCh13f
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by UnrealCh13f »

maybe do a chat on the irc on a private channel during the press conference and see if we notice anything that is related to this ARG???
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

I'll volunteer for that! I'm watching it already so I'll join and keep an eye out.
sassafras
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sassafras »

The general consensus now on the b.net forums is that the server dialog that worked for the first server (ie the first IP address) got reset somehow and went through the whole cycle of allowing a new 100 people to sign up. No new content was given to them and no new server is available. If you look at the way the sites are built and the way they're redirecting, the "key path" page set is sitting on a different site than the one existing server. It probably got reset (think crashed from all the traffic stupid kids kept throwing at it hitting refresh every two seconds) and when it came back online, the script for the hundred keys ran again....

Or maybe it's all part of their secret master plan to piss everyone off. Who knows, I don't think Microsoft would screw up something that they knew would have an immense response to (think ilovebees.com^2) but then again, servers do go down, and a minor hiccup would cause a huge ruckus, and who wants to admit that this ARG is... actually... a game....? No, so they're keeping mum and taking servers offline and letting everyone cool their jets. It'll probably just get spun into some tale later on. No, just wait and see.
maybe do a chat on the irc on a private channel during the press conference and see if we notice anything that is related to this ARG???
I like that idea.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Make that server 1 is back up
Dareye
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Dareye »

The general consensus now on the b.net forums is that the server dialog that worked for the first server (ie the first IP address) got reset somehow and went through the whole cycle of allowing a new 100 people to sign up. No new content was given to them and no new server is available. If you look at the way the sites are built and the way they're redirecting, the "key path" page set is sitting on a different site than the one existing server. It probably got reset (think crashed from all the traffic stupid kids kept throwing at it hitting refresh every two seconds) and when it came back online, the script for the hundred keys ran again....
sounds like a perfectly good explination. so we got all worked up for naught... wheres that 4th part of the message?
tygron
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by tygron »

i'd join in the irc chat, but i'm not shure I wana imerse myself into hbo just yet.... although 99% of us here are from hbo probably. I think i'll sit out on the irc, but maybe not.... i'm just hoping something happens today.... but if all it was is a server crash... i'm gonna be mad.

(wtf everytime i hit submit and it refreshes and then I can post.... WTF?)
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Dareye wrote:
sounds like a perfectly good explination. so we got all worked up for naught... wheres that 4th part of the message?
Didn't it do this at the first server's opening? I believe I remember a pause between entering codes and the server actually opening. I also remember that I couldnt DL the Array_Recorder_Data.txt for a while. It just wouldn't save for me for some reason. Saying that this is a glitch though, I think, is a step too far. You're losing the ARG "This is not a game" aspect.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Whatever delay there was didn't last for even 5 minutes with the original server.
tygron
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by tygron »

Ok to be in the arg... lets say the server keys got dropped and backups of the 1st server (theres always a spare set of keys) were used to unlock server 2. Server 2 is trying to open but it caused server 1 to crash and that made server 2 to take it's place and now some system is making a copy of server 2 so the info can be passed down.

EDIT: fixed some typos that made my post confusing.
Last edited by tygron on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.