Teraforming of Halo Rings

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Motive8
Data [Conditional]

Teraforming of Halo Rings

Unread post by Motive8 »

probably a dumb question but what was the need to Teraform the Halo rings if they were a weapon of distruction just sitting out in space.?
Again if this is a dumb question flam-on :lol:
Corbob
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Teraforming of Halo Rings

Unread post by Corbob »

Motive8 wrote:probably a dumb question but what was the need to Teraform the Halo rings if they were a weapon of distruction just sitting out in space.?
Again if this is a dumb question flam-on :lol:
IDK, I'm just now reading the Halo novels but maybe because they were afraid the flood were on the Halo rings themselves?
ACEfanatic02
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ACEfanatic02 »

I can think of several reasons...

A. Perhaps the ecosystem was necessary for the testing of new countermeasures against the Flood. Remember, they aren't solely killing machines--that's just the backup.

B. Or maybe it's purely decorative. Why do we have landscaping out in front of military HQs? The Forerunners seem pretty obsessed with aesthetics.

...I had more reasons than that, but it's 2 AM here and I can't seem to get them in any coherent form...

-ACE
Hun7er
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hun7er »

im not sure this belongs in the ARG forum, but it IS an interesting question.

my theory is that the forerunner put an environment / atmosphere on the rings so that they would be easier to build and fix. that way they wouldn't have to be in space suits all the time or whatnot.
Motive8
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Motive8 »

yea im not sure it should be here either,i was just trying to figure out if there were anything to connect the rings to earth or humans. if i didnt know the game id think that was a form of ARK to sustain life for a period.? anyways i was gust curiose if it was written or said why it was importaint to spend all that time and energy on a weapon of mass distruction.
Kurk
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Kurk »

perhaps by the time the halos had been created, the planets that the forreruners had colonised where all destroyed or corrupted by the flood.
Spartan Erik
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Spartan Erik »

To study the flood you need to put them in various environments. That was one of the purposes for the Halos, containment and research. Second purpose was to destroy in case the first purpose couldn't be fulfilled
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

It's possible that the Halos weren't created, at first, with the sole purpose of being weapons to destroy the universe. Notice how each one we've visited is located over a gas giant? It could be that they put them there as a sort of forward position that their ships could go to and get resupplied, or they were a sort of staging ground that were used when colonizing those worlds. It's possible that the actual weapon functionality was added afterwards.

The reason I say that is because it would seem like a counter-productive plan to put the Flood on the things that you need to get to to destroy them. If you can't get anyone through to activate the dang things, and from what 343 makes it sound like the Ark can only be used if there is a abort in the firing sequence, then the Flood would eventually break containment and spread. I'm not sure though, it seems like a very convoluted way to wipe out the Flood for my tastes.
ACEfanatic02
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ACEfanatic02 »

ODST Epsilon wrote:The reason I say that is because it would seem like a counter-productive plan to put the Flood on the things that you need to get to to destroy them. If you can't get anyone through to activate the dang things, and from what 343 makes it sound like the Ark can only be used if there is a abort in the firing sequence, then the Flood would eventually break containment and spread. I'm not sure though, it seems like a very convoluted way to wipe out the Flood for my tastes.
I'm of the opinion that genocide should be difficult.

Anyway, I suspect the actual Flood were locked down pretty tight. It just doesn't seem that way because the Covenant keep letting them out.

-ACE
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

It does sound like a good test facility, away from other systems. Each Halo also had multiple environments, which would help in finding what settings the Flood didn't like.