Suprising? Maybe a lead?

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

OneStraw
Data [Undefined]

Suprising? Maybe a lead?

Unread post by OneStraw »

So this may have already been discovered. and I can't see any leads myself. Feel free to flame if I am just repeating something that has already been found. :D

So I was reading through the HALO GRAPHIC NOVEL the other day and I discovered during the last story the lead characted is given a picture of an old african tribe.
This reminded me greatly of the comic at http://www.halo3.com/comic/ So I continued to search through. JUST IN CASE.

I don't have a camera/scanner so I cant show you on here. but check
PAGE 95 OF THE HALO GRAPHIC NOVEL and you will see that an Elite speaks in an alien language with symbols very similar to the symbol associated with the IRIS ARG. especially the middle one.

Whether this helps or not, I dunno. thought I'd share the info with everyone :D

P.S. The lead characted also talks about "the ark" in this story. I think it might have some relevance. But it was published ages ago now so who knows. :D
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Suprising? Maybe a lead?

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

I really wish I had gotten the HGN, just keep putting it off for some reason. Seeing as I don't have it, I can't really speculate on anything, but it's possible the Covenant adopted the Forerunner glyphs for their own use so that may be where the similarity comes from. But I'll leave it to the people who actually have the HGN to dig into the theories.
ryanivr
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ryanivr »

Believe it or not, I actually JUST found the same thing. However, I don't think that it relates to this ARG, it is still a little weird.

Those symbols...from what I know....are Forerunner. Not Covenant.

The HGN makes it seem that the Elite is speaking the Covenant language...but in reality, it is really speaking forerunner. We know that they have a history, but did the covenant take their language?
EliteSniper177
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by EliteSniper177 »

well in the very beginning, he says he knows why they invaded, and knows that they want to get to the ark, under new Mombasa. Theres no way to take a picture 100,000 years ago though, but maybe that was a tribe that has some memory of a story passed along, through generations, that talks about the forerunner coming to earth, or maybe it was a cave drawing, that that crazy guy on the streets had taken a picture of. And that elite must of been speaking forerunner or something, to use those glyphs, but those look like these:

and on another note, the novel says that the 3 glyphs he used were translated to "We need to clear this area before we can secure access to the Ark", so this could be related
KLind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by KLind »

Been posted somewhere before, but if you look in the panel under it, what they said translates to something about " the ark".

dun dun dun

EDIT: Beaten. :ugeek:
Hun7er
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hun7er »

they are definitely forerunner symbols, and we know the translation (according to the interview with mr. staten that's been floating around, elites have a rudimentary understanding of forerunner glyphs). i made a crude image (mspaint ftw, maybe i'll photoshop it if anybody discovers something of interest).

as you can see, these glyphs follow a four pronged structure- not the 5 structure we see with the ARG. i don't think they can help us.
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

Yeah, if those are the ones in the story I'd chalk that up to Bungie and co. staying true to similarities within the Halo universe and the Forerunner glyph language and not a direct link between anything important. Then again, it could be a case of them changing things a little bit and the symbol is the new one for the Ark.
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

EliteSniper177 wrote:well in the very beginning, he says he knows why they invaded, and knows that they want to get to the ark, under new Mombasa. Theres no way to take a picture 100,000 years ago though, but maybe that was a tribe that has some memory of a story passed along, through generations, that talks about the forerunner coming to earth, or maybe it was a cave drawing, that that crazy guy on the streets had taken a picture of. And that elite must of been speaking forerunner or something, to use those glyphs, but those look like these:

and on another note, the novel says that the 3 glyphs he used were translated to "We need to clear this area before we can secure access to the Ark", so this could be related
No way that is a translation of the symbols, he has read something and knows that the area has to be cleared. The symbols say something else not "We need to clear this area before we can secure access to the Ark".
EliteSniper177
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by EliteSniper177 »

the comic says that the guy leaves his translator on, especially around town, to translate local dialect, so i think that the artist implied that the translator was translating the covenant speech, and besides that, who else would say it, the human race doesn't even know about the ark at this point
Spartan 062
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Spartan 062 »

tauren0004.JPG
tauren0004.JPG (203.52 KiB) Viewed 8664 times
There you go. Scanned ub3r big (I hope no one beat me to it in the time this took to get worked out on this crappy computerbox).

I think it's safe to assume that the glyphs are being translated at the bottom, as that must be what is implied. It makes more sense anyway. Why would the humans want to secure access to the Ark? It isn't likely they even know what it is.