What are we waiting for/Whats the next step?

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

magictiger
Data [Undefined]

Re: What are we waiting for/Whats the next step?

Unread post by magictiger »

I'm sure it's already been said, but http://206.16.223.63/sota_images/SOTA_membership.pdf comes from a commented out link in http://206.16.223.63/members.html

<!--
<a href="sota_images/SOTA_membership.pdf" target=new><font color="#00FF00">Click here to fill out the Membership application.</font></a>
Membership Chairman – Aaron Elliot.
-->

After looking at the text of the PDF, I shot an email to doyougrok@societyoftheancients.com and got a nice Mail Delivery Failed response.

doyougrok@societyoftheancients.com
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<doyougrok@societyoftheancients.com>:
host custmx.register.com [216.21.229.239]: 550 relay not permitted

custmx.register.com is the registered mail exchange for societyoftheancients.com, which means we can't email to anything on that domain for now.

*sigh* I love dead ends.
cauc8xsens8x
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by cauc8xsens8x »

Everyone keeps saying that this is boring compared to ILB, but several people have mentioned that this is about the story of Halo. And that is the plan truth.

Alot of people are upset with Microsoft, and while technically Bungie is doing this, they are only a small branch of them, and Bungie does a great job of story telling.

Also this was immediately labeled as an ARG, when in fact it only started out as a viral story until the sightings of SOTA in all the major cities, thats the only indication we have that this is and ARG. It is more like the Cortana letters in that we are being filled in on the story to come, we are being told this information, not living it like ILB.

So let's try and lay off of Bungie and let them tell us this tale the way the want to.
spartan117
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by spartan117 »

every lunar cycle is when they check applications. so maybe let be accepting today.
atenz
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by atenz »

well i guess to me its kind of like reading a book, except they stop every few paragraphs, and you ahve to flip through 50 pages to find the next few words. and i think it is an ARG....but due to the guy running out in the middle of a hurricane during the I LOVE BEES campaign to answer telaphone (did that really happen? and wow imagine the sack on that guy....what a gamer....lol) maybe they dont want to be blamed for the death of someone if somthing unexpected happens, and someone playing there ARG was killed? can you say lawsuit? wow jack thompson would have a damned field day over this if somthing happened to one of us. so ARG? yes. Extremely interactive ARG? no. MS is just watching out for us.
gspawn
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by gspawn »

This is the pace at which all ARGs move, from my experience.
ILB's first few (months?) were a guy on the (Unfiction?) forums recieving a jar of honey with jumbled-up letters in it, then staring at the counter and the jumbled-up code on the site hoping for clues, puruising Dana's blog (which seemed like a normal, average, non-ARG blog for a long time), etc. Most people only came on board after the GPS data was deciphered- and that was basically the big climax.

There's a loooong wind-up, and then all of a sudden everything explodes in a few frantic bursts as the big bits fall into place. There are 4 servers left to unlock, and just over 2 months to do it in. If we got one server every 2 weeks, that's be a pretty decent schedule.
atenz
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by atenz »

well it almost seems like everything bvlew up backwards. we had a HUGE influx of information in the beginning, now its just....nothing, maybe a cryptic post from AR every now and then, but other wise thats it. theyve given us clues, but no way to decipher one of them (the star map) other then the fact that its been cloned in some places, but what does a cloned map with ONE symbol have to do with this ARG? as far as i know weve overlayed the map and the bacterial slide, and all of this wonderful stuff, but we still have nothing. and what is with all this 7/1/7 and 7/5/7 ? if these are dates that bungie are releasing to tell us that somthing is going to happen on one of these days, then what happened yesterday?