Repeating patterns in StarImage1

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

reaperdude42
Data [Conditional]

Re: Repeating patterns in StarImage1

Unread post by reaperdude42 »

DHalo wrote:Hmmm, we'll...there's a large conglomerate of stars in a single area. That area is full of blackness, and that symbol. Don't stars usually hang around blackness when its a black hole?
Yes they do.. Black holes are normally found in the centre of galaxies, unfortunatly this doesnt look like an image of the centre of a galaxie to me. A few "rouge" Black holes have been found that are not in the centre of galaxies, however the gravity from a black holes drops off exponentially the further away you get. In fact if our sun turned into a black hole we wouldnt really notice (except for the fact that the sky would become dark) We would evenetually be sucked into it but it would take an extremely long time.

In otherwords i dont think we are looking at a black hole... But its a nice hypothesis ;)
Phydaux
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Phydaux »

<offtopic>
reaperdude42 wrote:...In fact if our sun turned into a black hole we wouldnt really notice (except for the fact that the sky would become dark) We would evenetually be sucked into it but it would take an extremely long time. ...

If the Sun was to supernova and turn into a black hole (which will not happen because it's too small) the black hole would have less gravity than the Sun (as some mass is lost during the supernova). If the Sun was to be replaced with a black hole of equal mass the gravity affecting Earth wouldn't change.
We wouldn't get sucked in by the black hole any more than the Sun is sucking us in now. If anything, we'd be sucked in less by a black hole than the Sun.
</offtopic>
USMikeC117
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by USMikeC117 »

First post, just wanted to put this out there. When looking at the overlapped image, it seems to me that it slightly resembles the Milky Way Galaxy.

Overlapped image
Milky Way Galaxy, taken from here.

The bacterial sections would show the primary places the Flood have spread to. Asuming the glyph is Earth, it would show the infection just starting to reach Earth after having spread to most other parts of the galaxy, including places where Halo installations have been placed. Just something that popped into my head.

Oh, and for S's and G's: if you tilt your head to the left when looking at the bacteria image, between the central infestation and the outer ring appears to be an image of a Guy Fawke's mask from V for Vendetta. Coincidence? I think not.
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

I haven't seen it mentioned, so I thought I'd ask . . . has anyone removed all the duplicated portions of the image and seen what remains? That might reveal a familiar night sky, or at least a locatable one. I'd do it if that eraser in MS Paint wasn't so blocky.
Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Air Sparrow Hawk »

reaperdude42 wrote:
DHalo wrote:Hmmm, we'll...there's a large conglomerate of stars in a single area. That area is full of blackness, and that symbol. Don't stars usually hang around blackness when its a black hole?
Yes they do.. Black holes are normally found in the centre of galaxies, unfortunatly this doesnt look like an image of the centre of a galaxie to me. A few "rouge" Black holes have been found that are not in the centre of galaxies, however the gravity from a black holes drops off exponentially the further away you get. In fact if our sun turned into a black hole we wouldnt really notice (except for the fact that the sky would become dark) We would evenetually be sucked into it but it would take an extremely long time.

In otherwords i dont think we are looking at a black hole... But its a nice hypothesis ;)
I don't know about us not noticing for a while. I was taught that if our sun became a black hole we'd be dead in a few miliseconds.

Criticise if you think I'm wrong, I'm no astronomer and I don't tend to look into these things much.
Sable
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Sable »

If the Sun collapsed to a black hole with exactly one solar mass, there would be absolutely no change in the planet's orbits - the black hole would be generating one solar mass's worth of gravity, ergo nothing would change.

It would take a little more than eight minutes for us to notice this, since it takes eight minutes for light to go from the Sun to Earth.

There would be no gradual or sudden sucking-into-edness, unless our current astronomical course shows an orbital decay that would eventually wind up with us hitting the sun anyway.

Stars the size of our sun don't collapse into black holes as a general rule; their stellar life cycle is rather radically different, ending as a white dwarf star if I'm remembering correctly.
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

Sable wrote:If the Sun collapsed to a black hole with exactly one solar mass, there would be absolutely no change in the planet's orbits - the black hole would be generating one solar mass's worth of gravity, ergo nothing would change.

It would take a little more than eight minutes for us to notice this, since it takes eight minutes for light to go from the Sun to Earth.

There would be no gradual or sudden sucking-into-edness, unless our current astronomical course shows an orbital decay that would eventually wind up with us hitting the sun anyway.

Stars the size of our sun don't collapse into black holes as a general rule; their stellar life cycle is rather radically different, ending as a white dwarf star if I'm remembering correctly.
Yeah, just after the ejection of the outer layer of the Sun. No spectacular blaze of glory for the Sun, :(
Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Air Sparrow Hawk »

Sable wrote:If the Sun collapsed to a black hole with exactly one solar mass, there would be absolutely no change in the planet's orbits - the black hole would be generating one solar mass's worth of gravity, ergo nothing would change.

I never knew that, also I was supposed to know it for science class back when I was in school. No worries, I passed my exams decently anyway. I'll remember that little bit of info for future reference.
FrenzyTheKillbot
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by FrenzyTheKillbot »

you guys are kind of forgetting the key point that the sun provides absolutely all energy to the earth. With or without gravitational differences we'd freeze to death probably sooner than later.
reaperdude42
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by reaperdude42 »

Im fascinated by all this, however it is miles off topic so shall we all take this conversation to the astronomy and astrophysics forums and leave this thread to the usefull conversation of the repeating patterns in Starimage1... :D

On that note has anyone found anything new on this... There must be at least one image editing guru out there that can tell us what is going on here...