How does Halo work?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Spartan 062
Data [Conditional]

Re: How does Halo work?

Unread post by Spartan 062 »

kulervo wrote: 1. The Halo's wipe out calcium deposits in life with calcium. So there is no issue with cosmic rays, or sound frequencies that destroy brains. See the halopedia article i link above.
This Calcium theory is pretty well supported. Take a look at Conversations from the Universe:
343 Guilty Spark wrote:Revolution 56-11.334: Oh dear. Containment protocols appear to have been violated.

The interlopers appear to have accidentally released the Flood Infection Forms. This situation is rapidly deteriorating. Most of these interlopers appear to contain ample calcium stores. And they've brought plentiful means for the Flood to escape containment and spread. How impossibly thoughtless. I suppose I'll have to activate the facility.
The interlopers in this case is referring to the Covenant after they released the Flood.
urk
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by urk »

From the Array Recorder Data:
Confrm: Array burn radium {check} 3.0
Maybe a clue for you to mull over. Perhaps radiation is used in some fashion? It would kill sizable organics without destroying physical structures or effecting planetary bodies.
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

urk wrote:From the Array Recorder Data:
Confrm: Array burn radium {check} 3.0
Maybe a clue for you to mull over. Perhaps radiation is used in some fashion? It would kill sizable organics without destroying physical structures or effecting planetary bodies.
When I first saw that line I was interested too. But if radiation is the weapon, it would take 25000 years to wipe the galaxy. Either way, I guess we know radium is involved somehow now.
urk
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by urk »

Pak wrote:When I first saw that line I was interested too. But if radiation is the weapon, it would take 25000 years to wipe the galaxy. Either way, I guess we know radium is involved somehow now.
Perhaps the effect is amplified or altered in some way. Obviously, it's not just straight radiation with radium, as we understand it. Who knows though? Radium might just be part of the firing sequence, but it is odd that it gets particular mention in the process.
Rainstorm1031
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Rainstorm1031 »

I always interpretted radium as radii or something like that... I never once thought of a radiation connection... I think what the data really is, is confirming the magnitude of Halo's destruction, or the size of it... the radius of the "blast".
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Rainstorm1031 wrote:I always interpretted radium as radii or something like that... I never once thought of a radiation connection... I think what the data really is, is confirming the magnitude of Halo's destruction, or the size of it... the radius of the "blast".
I would think that they would just use "radii" then. No matter how you say it, radium cannot be connected with radii.

I think it may mean actually Radium. On earth today , Radium (Ra) is used as a radiation standard. Since it was (one of) the first radioactive substance ever found and concentrated, today other radioactive substances can be stated in "mg Ra".

I'm in nuclear medicine, and if you have, say, a 100 mCi (wiki the unit) source of Cesium-137, you say you have X mg Ra, which is the unit which the doctors use.

So, this could explain the {check} part also. I think it literally means that the Radium is used to check the systems in the Halo. If you are going to check the system, do you use the main standard, or do you use some random substance which requires some extra work in your calculations? The standard. Whether it has to do with the actual firing, or the measurement of its firing, such as a radiation detector, is pure speculation.
ACEfanatic02
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ACEfanatic02 »

Is it really so inconceivable that the Halos would use radiation?

Think about it. It's only 25,000 years until the galaxy is wiped clean. Even if the Flood were to run, the blast would inevitably catch up to them. With the entire galaxy stripped barren, they don't have time to wait for new species to evolve. (Complex life takes a rather long time to come about.)

In any case, we've been shown that Slipspace and real space are disconnected and do not effect each other. And I quote (FoR, p. 137):
He noted that it's trajectory brought it close to Sigma Octanus IV ... which, if the rock were in real space, would be cause for alarm. In Slipspace, however, it could pass "through" the planet, and no one would notice.
Therefore, a weapon in Slipspace would be more or less worthless. Yes, yes, of course the Forerunner have much more advanced technology, but that's taking the easy explanation. Bungie doesn't do that with important plot points.

-ACE
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

ACEfanatic02 wrote:Is it really so inconceivable that the Halos would use radiation?

In any case, we've been shown that Slipspace and real space are disconnected and do not effect each other. And I quote (FoR, p. 137):
He noted that it's trajectory brought it close to Sigma Octanus IV ... which, if the rock were in real space, would be cause for alarm. In Slipspace, however, it could pass "through" the planet, and no one would notice.
Therefore, a weapon in Slipspace would be more or less worthless. Yes, yes, of course the Forerunner have much more advanced technology, but that's taking the easy explanation. Bungie doesn't do that with important plot points.

-ACE
Yes. Thank you. Also, when ships exit slipspace, it appears as if they come out of nowhere. Thats because they do. Well, from somewhere else in the galaxy, that is.

"The Forerunner have very advanced technology, so it just is." This just will simply not do, Bungie!!
ACEfanatic02 wrote:
Is it really so inconceivable that the Halos would use radiation?

Think about it. It's only 25,000 years until the galaxy is wiped clean. Even if the Flood were to run, the blast would inevitably catch up to them. With the entire galaxy stripped barren, they don't have time to wait for new species to evolve. (Complex life takes a rather long time to come about.)

-ACE
Well, they are immune to the blast, supposedly. But the best solution to kill us and the Covenant would be to make it instantaneous.

While on the topic, why would the Forerunner give us a "shield world", if the intention of the Halos are to destroy all life? Just how many species are there on the index? I think there's a profound connection between humans and the Forerunner. I mean, it would seem as though they are trying to eliminate the Covenant. :( They are theorized to be their "creations" anyways.
kulervo
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by kulervo »

"Even if the Flood were to run, the blast would inevitably catch up to them."

The problem is that with a radiation wave that isn't true. All the preceding paragraphs about slipspace are good arguments that slipspace doesn't interact with normal space. But if you are (like the flood) an intelligent menace capable of hiding in slipspace, normal radiation would just not be a problem. You could just hide in slipspace till the radiation passed. In fact the best strategy would be this:
Step 1: See oncoming radiation wave.
Step 2: Run 25,000 light years (or so) in front of it via slipspace.
Step 3: Hang out for 24,999 years.
Step 4: Return to origin area of the wave via slipspace.
Step 5: Take over planets that have had 25,000 years to regenerate.

What you need is something that has an effect on both slipspace and real space. Like the mini-halo from ILB, which shut down the chatter net, and sent a ftl signal.
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

kulervo wrote:"Even if the Flood were to run, the blast would inevitably catch up to them."

The problem is that with a radiation wave that isn't true. All the preceding paragraphs about slipspace are good arguments that slipspace doesn't interact with normal space. But if you are (like the flood) an intelligent menace capable of hiding in slipspace, normal radiation would just not be a problem. You could just hide in slipspace till the radiation passed. In fact the best strategy would be this:
Step 1: See oncoming radiation wave.
Step 2: Run 25,000 light years (or so) in front of it via slipspace.
Step 3: Hang out for 24,999 years.
Step 4: Return to origin area of the wave via slipspace.
Step 5: Take over planets that have had 25,000 years to regenerate.

What you need is something that has an effect on both slipspace and real space. Like the mini-halo from ILB, which shut down the chatter net, and sent a ftl signal.
The flood dosn't need to hide. They are not harmed by Halo.