100,000 Years

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Odyon
Data [Conditional]

100,000 Years

Unread post by Odyon »

Just noticed this post from Raiden47 at B.net:
So.. the event takes place every 100,000 years? Why hath you awaken so early this time? And on which variable of the array are we currently? How many are there? Why 545 years early.. have we received word?
along with many other posts on this line.

One of the levels (or sections of a level) from Halo 2 called "100,000 Years War." I had always wondered what that meant when I saw it. Undoubtedly related, but how and why remains to be seen.

I haven't found much connecting this with discussion about the 100,000 Years War and wondered if anyone had ideas there (since I have none at this point)? Knowing more about the War will probably help decode things since AR is clearly related in some fashion.

May be nothing, but at this stage anything is possible.
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Re: 100,000 Years

Unread post by robotchickengod »

Odyon wrote:Just noticed this post from Raiden47 at B.net:
So.. the event takes place every 100,000 years? Why hath you awaken so early this time? And on which variable of the array are we currently? How many are there? Why 545 years early.. have we received word?
along with many other posts on this line.

One of the levels (or sections of a level) from Halo 2 called "100,000 Years War." I had always wondered what that meant when I saw it. Undoubtedly related, but how and why remains to be seen.

I haven't found much connecting this with discussion about the 100,000 Years War and wondered if anyone had ideas there (since I have none at this point)? Knowing more about the War will probably help decode things since AR is clearly related in some fashion.

May be nothing, but at this stage anything is possible.
Well, I guess I'll make a random statement...Up to this point, I always assumed that the Forerunner society was like our idea of a super technologically advanced, almost Utopian society. But....but...What if there was actually a Forerunner civil war? This would give a reason for the development of the biological weapons(the flood). I have another theory, but that is it for now until I put everything in its place.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Well, that's the question; why did the Forerunner build the Halos/Ark? As part of a civil war? Where do the Flood fit in? And so on.
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Okay, I am rusty on some of the Halo information but...when in any of the canon does it say the Forerunner created the flood?
endejas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by endejas »

The Halos were built as a "weapon of last resort." My guess is that they were first built to study the Flood, then modified to contain them, or it might've happened vice versa. I'm thinking the 100,000 Years War is referring to the time inbetween the Halo Array firing, and the Chief/Arbiter finding Halo, in which the Flood fight to survive, as they starve to death, and fight Halos' defenses.

robotchickengod: It's never been confirmed, but it's one of the major theories flying around.
Odyon
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Odyon »

robotchickengod wrote:Okay, I am rusty on some of the Halo information but...when in any of the canon does it say the Forerunner created the flood?
I don't know that there is information about this either way. Could be they created the Flood, could be that they didn't.

The Flood evolving naturally is currently a simpler solution given that we don't have a solid/confirmed reason for the Forerunners to create the Flood in the first place outside of accidental creation.

Odyon
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

This is going way outside of where I should probably, but has anyone seen Serenity? What if the flood were an accidental creation because the Forerunners were trying to create a perfect society. And if they are human, then they would have a governing body which tried to cover it up as long as possible...the halo rings used as research, could have been colonies...sorry if that was way off topic.

Thats at least the only way I can think of a civil war happening. Primarily because their own people were the flood, and the flood take over almost everything.

There may be a possibility to the war being among the flood themselves for survival and against forerunner automated systems though. I actually like that idea.
RVideo
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by RVideo »

I always interpreted the 100,000 years war as being the constant skirmishes between the Sentinels, the Enforcers and the Flood, a seemingly perpetual stalemate. Going through this level, you often will see the Halo defenses and the Flood engaging one another (?)
Odyon
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Odyon »

RVideo wrote:I always interpreted the 100,000 years war as being the constant skirmishes between the Sentinels, the Enforcers and the Flood, a seemingly perpetual stalemate. Going through this level, you often will see the Halo defenses and the Flood engaging one another (?)
This is a great explanation for the 100,000 Years War section of Halo 2. Related, but not so deep as some may like for the AR side of thing.

I tend to go for the simplest explanation, and this fits the bill so far given what we know. That may change, but until more information is released or deciphered, I'm thinking that the only relation between AR and the 100,000 year time span is the first firing and priming (as of Halo 2) of the Halo network in 2552.
deadguy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by deadguy »

I always kind of assumed that the 100,000 year war was a war with the flood.

Perhaps the forerunners forced a deal (a truce) onto the flood (gravemind) that said the flood could survive, but only if they stay confined to the terraformed rings (halos). If they attempt to leave, they will be destroyed.. the rings enforce the deal.

Gravemind knows that all of the forerunners are gone, and when the covenant release the flood, so begins his plotting to free his race from the rings entirely.

Seems likely to me that this is the case because it seems odd that the 100,000 years matches the last time the halos were fired. So this would mean that the war is still ongoing if it started when the halos were last fired. Suggesting that gravemind is still fighting his imprisonment (and the imprisonment of his race).