Clock Dynamics

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Clock Dynamics

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Forgive me if this has been posted yet; I don't check these boards.

After a LOT of reverse engineering in the IRC channel, we think we've found out why the clock speeds up. It seems to calculate the time between your system's clock and June 21st at midnight. Then, rather than counting to midnight on June 21st, it counts down to June 20th. This makes it look like the clock is counting faster (and it really is). What it also means is that each time you refresh, the clock moves a little bit faster. No matter how many times you refresh, though, it will always end at midnight on June 20th. What happens at midnight on June 20th? We don't know yet, suffice it to say that it's probably something sexy. Assuming the date doesn't change, the clock will always try to compensate for time lost, making it look like it's going insanely fast in the hours leading up to the end.

Much thanks to _3of9, Milk, and Coweh (and probably some others, but you guys suck anyway. :P)
Lichtonatus
Facilitator [Conditional]

Re: Clock Dynamics

Unread post by Lichtonatus »

Does that relate at all to the fact that the clock is now going stupid fast?
Captain Milk
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Captain Milk »

Yes, it explains WHY the clock is going fast, did you even read that post?
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Lichtonatus wrote:Does that relate at all to the fact that the clock is now going stupid fast?
Yes, as time nears midnight of June 20th, the clock's speed will increase. OK, think of it this way:

The clock calculates time between the current time and midnight of the 21st. Let's say it's midnight of the 19th. that's 48 hours. BUT, the timer counts down to the 20th, which would be 24 hours. that extra 24 hours needs to go somewhere. In order to get rid of the extra time, the clock speeds up.
Ryoseth
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ryoseth »

Ibeechu wrote:Forgive me if this has been posted yet; I don't check these boards.

After a LOT of reverse engineering in the IRC channel, we think we've found out why the clock speeds up. It seems to calculate the time between your system's clock and June 21st at midnight. Then, rather than counting to midnight on June 21st, it counts down to June 20th. This makes it look like the clock is counting faster (and it really is). What it also means is that each time you refresh, the clock moves a little bit faster. No matter how many times you refresh, though, it will always end at midnight on June 20th. What happens at midnight on June 20th? We don't know yet, suffice it to say that it's probably something sexy. Assuming the date doesn't change, the clock will always try to compensate for time lost, making it look like it's going insanely fast in the hours leading up to the end.

Much thanks to _3of9, Milk, and Coweh (and probably some others, but you guys suck anyway. :P)
i dont mean to be rude, but i think you mean to say midnight june 19th...
i think you might be right for the speed up. how it calculates for the original end date.
but the end date is actually wednesday morning, 12am. [midnight June 19th, tuesday]
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Ryoseth wrote:
Ibeechu wrote:Forgive me if this has been posted yet; I don't check these boards.

i think you might be right for the speed up. how it calculates for the original end date.
but the end date is actually wednesday morning, 12am. [midnight June 19th, tuesday]
The ActionScript in the SWF (thanks to _3of9 for decompiling, by the way) says June 20th, 00:00, which would be midnight on June 20th. Midnight refers to the morning of the date, so Midnight of June 20th comes right after 11:59 PM on June 19th.
Ryoseth
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ryoseth »

Ibeechu wrote:
Ryoseth wrote:

The ActionScript in the SWF (thanks to _3of9 for decompiling, by the way) says June 20th, 00:00, which would be midnight on June 20th. Midnight refers to the morning of the date, so Midnight of June 20th comes right after 11:59 PM on June 19th.
that's exACTLY where everyone is making the mistake....
1 minute past 11:59 PM on Tuesday night is 12:00AM Wednesday morning...
I KNOW it seems wierd, but thats the way it been since the dawn of time....
00:00:00 Wednesday June 20th is 0 hours...0minutes...0seconds into June 20th.
[which if u want it easier...1 second past 23:59:59 Tuesday June 19th turns out to be 00:00:00 Wednesday morning]
you can't have 24:00:01, that would imply it goes to 25 hours a day.

think of it this way...lets say it is 12:25AM...what would you say it is? morning? or afternoon?
or even 12:59AM... it is 12:59 in the morning. 12:59 PM is 1 minute before 1 o clock in the afternoon [1PM : 13:00:00]
Systema Eterna
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Systema Eterna »

0700 GMT on June 20 2007/June 21 2007. I showed you guys the screenshot first haha.
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Ryoseth wrote: that's exACTLY where everyone is making the mistake....
1 minute past 11:59 PM on Tuesday night is 12:00AM Wednesday morning...
I KNOW it seems wierd, but thats the way it been since the dawn of time....
00:00:00 Wednesday June 20th is 0 hours...0minutes...0seconds into June 20th.
[which if u want it easier...1 second past 23:59:59 Tuesday June 19th turns out to be 00:00:00 Wednesday morning]
you can't have 24:00:01, that would imply it goes to 25 hours a day.

think of it this way...lets say it is 12:25AM...what would you say it is? morning? or afternoon?
or even 12:59AM... it is 12:59 in the morning. 12:59 PM is 1 minute before 1 o clock in the afternoon [1PM : 13:00:00]
The problem with 12 AM and 12 PM is that there's no correct way to designate one as noon and one as midnight. The only correct ways are by saying noon or midnight. That's where the confusion comes in, so from now on, I will refer to 00:00 as midnight and 12:00 as noon. Midnight on June 20th occurs halfway between noon on June 19th and noon on June 20th. You and I are saying the same thing, so I'm not sure what you're arguing.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Ibeechu wrote: The problem with 12 AM and 12 PM is that there's no correct way to designate one as noon and one as midnight. The only correct ways are by saying noon or midnight. That's where the confusion comes in, so from now on, I will refer to 00:00 as midnight and 12:00 as noon. Midnight on June 20th occurs halfway between noon on June 19th and noon on June 20th. You and I are saying the same thing, so I'm not sure what you're arguing.
Miwitawy time huwts my bwains... :D