Adjutant Reflex: Birthing reaction to the Halo Activation

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

sdwoodchuck
Data [Conditional]

Adjutant Reflex: Birthing reaction to the Halo Activation

Unread post by sdwoodchuck »

As I mentioned in Discussion, one definition for "Adjutant" is the name of an African Stork. Storks are a symbol of Birth. "Birthing" Reflex, Ark, and Cradle of Life.

It seems to me that Adjutant Reflex is a reactionary AI (hence, the "reflex"). When the Halos are activated and life is destroyed, its reflex is "birthing" new civilization. It just so happens that he does this in Africa. I doubt it is a literal creation of life (the "comic" seems to suggest otherwise); rather it is the sparking of that technological evolution.

Granted, I've noticed others have come to the same general conclusion, but the Stork reference further supplies some credibility to this, and I haven't seen that brought up yet.

EDIT: Following up on the Stork theme.

The Stork, symbolically, carries a child to its parents. So then, if Adjutant Reflex is the Stork, and he is contacting us, I posit that humanity is the "Child." And the parents it is supposedly bringing us to--the forerunner? Perhaps on the wings of Iris?

Doesn't that sound like one heck of a Great Journey? I believe the Covenant Prophets know this, and are trying to eliminate humans, in order to be the passengers on the Stork named Iris, as activated by Adjutant Reflex and the Ark.
Lichtonatus
Facilitator [Conditional]

Re: Adjutant Reflex: Birthing reaction to the Halo Activation

Unread post by Lichtonatus »

I'm confused now. Is this Stork a literalstork? Or a metaphor?
sdwoodchuck
Data [Conditional]

Extended Metaphor. "Adjutant" is a species of African Stork. Considering the location of the Ark, as well as the use of "wings" terminology in one of AR's posts, there is at least some grounds to believe that this definition of "Adjutant" is not simply coincidence, though certainly not definite.

If you're looking at that definition of its name, then the next logical question would be: what is its function? Storks are a symbol of "birth," so an Adjutant Reflex would be a reaction that brings about the birth of something. "Reaction to what?" and "Birthing what?" are the next questions. It's reasonable that it would be reacting to the firing of the Halo installations, since after that a "birth" is going to be somewhat necessary.

People have speculated that we will be "carried on the wings of Iris." If it is "us" as humans that are to be carried on those wings, then we can assume that, sticking to the metaphor, we are the beings that will be carried forward to birth new civilization. I believe that the Covenant Prophets have figured this out, and wanting to escape the mass destruction of the firing of the Halos (either for the sake of their own lives, or for the sake of their species), have decided to take Humanity's place on Iris. This trip "on the wings of Iris" is what they refer to when they mention "The Great Journey."
Jman
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Jman »

sdwoodchuck wrote:Extended Metaphor. "Adjutant" is a species of African Stork. Considering the location of the Ark, as well as the use of "wings" terminology in one of AR's posts, there is at least some grounds to believe that this definition of "Adjutant" is not simply coincidence, though certainly not definite.

If you're looking at that definition of its name, then the next logical question would be: what is its function? Storks are a symbol of "birth," so an Adjutant Reflex would be a reaction that brings about the birth of something. "Reaction to what?" and "Birthing what?" are the next questions. It's reasonable that it would be reacting to the firing of the Halo installations, since after that a "birth" is going to be somewhat necessary.

People have speculated that we will be "carried on the wings of Iris." If it is "us" as humans that are to be carried on those wings, then we can assume that, sticking to the metaphor, we are the beings that will be carried forward to birth new civilization. I believe that the Covenant Prophets have figured this out, and wanting to escape the mass destruction of the firing of the Halos (either for the sake of their own lives, or for the sake of their species), have decided to take Humanity's place on Iris. This trip "on the wings of Iris" is what they refer to when they mention "The Great Journey."
Holy shit...that's amazing.

By jove! I think he's got it!
Lichtonatus

I think I get it now. The Halos firing will screw everything up, so he's asking who will see to it that life as we know it carries on to some degree. But the Covenant want to be those that do this instead of us..... Right?
sdwoodchuck
Data [Conditional]

I'm not sure if he's "asking" so much as telling us that the journey on the wings of Iris is going to begin (probably when the counter reaches zero).
Lichtonatus

Right. Cheers. Some of this stuff is confusing. Add that to the fact it's quite late and my brain has gone kaput from a day of exams (well, 1 exam) and i'm keeping up quite well :D
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

When I have some brainpower tomorrow I'm going to go through all the pieces we have, particularly the poem from the email. Dissect it if I can.
Lichtonatus

I think someone dissected it in huge amounts of detail in another thread. I recommend taking a look. cant remember where the thread was (defnintely on this forum though)
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

I've seen a couple of them, but not done in a way that I would like. We'll see.