Start of 2008 Gaming

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Start of 2008 Gaming

Unread post by Avateur »

So, I've been away now for quite a while due to a great game I've been playing known as Lost Odyssey. I can't recommend this game enough to everyone. It's so long, so epic, and so beautiful. Hell, it's created by Hironobu Sakaguchi (yes, the creator of Final Fantasy). Hell! We HALO fans love our Marty music. Well, Lost Odyssey has music composed by Nobuo Uematsu (yes, the composer of the music in many-a-Final Fantasy game). That alone should be enough to get a gamer's mouth watering for this game!

The story is extremely rich and deep, and the attachment to your characters is pretty solid as the game goes on. The game consists of four discs, so that alone should tell you it's a pretty epic story. The game is definitely not easy, but that doesn't detract from the fun. I've been busy for almost a month playing this game, and I still haven't beat it yet. And no, I haven't been using a strategy guide, GameFAQs, or anything like that. I'm already nearly 50 hours in, and from what I read at Kotaku, I could easily get 100 hours out of this game if I really go exploring (and I sure as hell do!).

Moving on, Mass Effect, assuming you (the readers) already have it, will have its first DLC released on March 10 for 400 MS points, and everyone I know is very excited to get it. It'll introduce a new race that was found within the Mass Effect prequel novel, and it'll add something like an hour and a half more gameplay to the already grand story. Keep your eyes out for that.

On a side note, Bungie's melee fix to HALO 3, the "map exploit" fixes on a select few maps (although I think it's BS that they didn't fix the exploits in Narrows), and the fix to the ranking system have made H3 a much more fun game to play. It's definitely worth coming back to if you've shunned it due to its angering abilities. I'm very pleased with the fixes. :)

That's all I've got for right now. Naturally, keep your eyes open for the CoD4 DLC of new multiplayer maps and the HALO 3 DLC of new multiplayer maps coming out some time in the next few months. I'll update this topic as I manage to play more games. Money's sort of tight as of the moment, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get some of the games coming out in the near future. Have a great time gaming everyone!
writer87
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Start of 2008 Gaming

Unread post by writer87 »

I Chewpa Thingy, fully endorse this product. Chewpa seal of awesome fun time japanese game approval.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

And the gaming continues! Coming April 15, 2008, the HALO 3 Legendary DLC will be released for 800 MS points. Revealed approximately two hours ago, Avalanche is the newest map coming to H3! A spiritual predecessor to Sidewinder (not a remake), it looks ready to become a fan-favorite! Here are my general thoughts on this new map as posted in the topic at HBO:
I have a couple of complaints and a bit of skepticism regarding this new map, both of which I could go into great detail on, but after having had the time to read the post, view the pics, discuss my complaints and thoughts with other HBOers (warranted and unwarranted), I have to say that I'm extremely intrigued and excited about this new map, and that this map alone has convinced me to buy the next round of DLC. April 15th everyone!! Here's hoping that this map, while not Sidewinder, is as great as or at least as fun as Sidewinder.

Hell, forget Sidewinder. Here's hoping this map creates a name for itself and becomes one of the best maps made out of all 3 games. I can't wait to jump into that Avalanche!
There are plenty of other thoughts and opinions (as of this posting about 98% in favor of the new map), so the topic will definitely be worth a read as the day goes on and HBOers wake up. I can't wait!
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Menelven »

I want headlong, the best BTB map
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LordOsiris »

Personally, 1 more remake will be enough. I love lots of H:CE and H2 maps, and would love to see them in the game, but it would be even cooler to see some stuff that Bungie's never done before.
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

So who's excited for what the rest of the year?
I want to play GTA 4 and Too Human. Any thing else though, doesn't get me excited. Trust me, I would love to play MGS 4 and have played the 3 before it, but I can't justify spending 450 on a box for one game. What does everyone else think?
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

My most anticipated game of 2008 is Starcraft II. Hands down. I'm looking forward to Gears of War 2 as well. Halo Wars is a must, of course. I'm still debating with myself on Too Human, and GTA IV looks like the same game they've already made about 5-6 times, so I don't see myself buying it.
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

How did I forget about Starcraft II? I've been playing the original since 2000. /sad face/
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

So I started a new facebook group that applies to most of us.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12391377919

Join if interested!
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

So. What's everyone's (those who still actually visit here) thoughts on the new maps?