Problem I Just Noticed with the Dates....

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

echelon3
Data [Conditional]

Problem I Just Noticed with the Dates....

Unread post by echelon3 »

Alright, this is a little bit off topic, but when AdjutantReflex First started posting he had given some equation and numbers when someone had asked the date, and someone figured it out that the incident AR is talking about took place 100,000 years ago, and AR itself had confirmed that. When I started thinking about it though, dinosaurs were killed off 56 million years ago and I didnt think there were any other mass extinctions. I was also pretty sure that humans were around before that. I went and checked Wikipedia for a couple timelines and sure enough look what I found:
195 ka | Omo1, Omo2 (Ethiopia, Omo river) are the earliest known Homo sapiens.
ka means thousand years ago. And those are just the first Homo sapiens; Australopithecus, Neanderthals, Homo erectus and others came before them even. Now I know from looking at "The Cradle of Life" that humans were alive when the Forerunners were building the Ark, but if the Halo Array fired after they built the Ark, the Ark wouldn't save all of the humans would it? And also, I don't think there were any mass "extinctions" that would have been attributable to the firing of the Halo Array.
i just thought i'd bring that up.
shamanistcrage
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Problem I Just Noticed with the Dates....

Unread post by shamanistcrage »

you are assuming that the comic was 100,000 years ago? perhaps it wasnt, maybe "the gods" didnt build on earth then, maybe it was much further into the timeline
shamanistcrage
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by shamanistcrage »

lol. not flaming you, just a thought.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Hmm, well remember that if this Ark is anything like the Biblical Ark everyone makes connections to, then Earth would be shielded somehow from the Halo array's firing; ideally no change would be seen on Earth, only everywhere else. But good stuff though, I like the thinking.
echelon3
Data [Conditional]

well actually now that im thinking about what i found along with the cradle of life, im thinking that the cradle of life takes place a little before 100000 years ago,which is the reason "the gods" (forerunners) are building the Ark in the first place, to be able to save some sentient species of some sort so that life will still go on and won't have to begin anew. My guess is that Earth is the only place the Flood hadn't infected yet deeming it perfect for Ark placement and the salvation of its inhabitants. What I was wondering about is that between the dawn of humans and now there was no extinction that would be attributed to the firing of the Halos. And I doubt the Ark would be able to hold the entire human population. The only reason I'm bringing this up is because usually new 'facts' about the Halo universe are made so that they line up with real history making it more realistic.
My God, I feel like a Televangelist now, all this talk about Arks and salvation.....
^^^^D'oh!
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Haha, good point about televangelism. WE WILL BE SAVED BY THE ARK! hah.

And that's the really great part about this ARG is that the Halo story already meshed so well with human history.
Norn
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Norn »

Many people speculate that the structure that is shown in the announcement trailer is what can make a planet into a "Shield World". I never read Eric Nylunds' "Ghosts of Onyx", but from what I can gather Onyx was a shield world as well. Now, if there exist shields, there must be swords, The Halos. I think the Forerunner deemed our planet far enough away to be safe from Flood invasion before the human race would become smart enough to fire the Halos again and stop the flood when they return. Or, maybe they felt pitty for us. Either way, the structure at Voi must have saved us from the extinction of Halo. That may explain Cortana's rambling about "I am your shield, I am your sword." Of course, the Covanent had their own saving structures, but they may have been able to find theirs, and that is why they worship the Forerunner. And know about them already. Also, they may have been able to create their advanced technology with the Forerunner structures they found on their planets.

I just made about half of that up. This theory is kinda going somewhere.
echelon3
Data [Conditional]

norn, you have to remember that 80% of the Covenant technology is taken from the Forerunners. Plus I never thought asthe Ark as something that would be a shield to the whole planet. I was figuring that the Ark was protected but anything ouitside the Ark was history. I was alslo thinking that when the Halos fire, they fire a sort of Bio-EMP, killing everything sentient but leaving planets, stars etc unharmed.
Norn
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Norn »

echelon3 wrote: I was alslo thinking that when the Halos fire, they fire a sort of Bio-EMP, killing everything sentient but leaving planets, stars etc unharmed.
I think that too. I did not imply that the Halos destroy the actual rocks, and sand, and dust of planets and stars. I meant that the structures have the ability to cover/shield an entire planet from the "Bio-EMP."
echelon3
Data [Conditional]

Norn wrote:
echelon3 wrote: I was alslo thinking that when the Halos fire, they fire a sort of Bio-EMP, killing everything sentient but leaving planets, stars etc unharmed.
I think that too. I did not imply that the Halos destroy the actual rocks, and sand, and dust of planets and stars. I meant that the structures have the ability to cover/shield an entire planet from the "Bio-EMP."
well what i was trying to clear up was basically i had jus thought that the ark was something on Earth that had limited space and would only be able to shield whatever was inside it. plus i was thinking that you had meant that it protected the planet from being blown to smithereens. but thanx for clearing that up at least we're on the same page now lol