Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Log5_Transcript General Discussion

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Okay, I'm going to throw a bunch of stuff together and see what sticks.

THESIS
The Forerunnershad forerunners--they themselves were trying to find the remnants of some ancient (to them) civilization that had preceded them, and then disappeared.

SUPPORT
Consider: The transcript calls us "unique denizens." Denizen:

1. an inhabitant; resident.
2. a person who regularly frequents a place; habitué: the denizens of a local bar.
3. British. an alien admitted to residence and to certain rights of citizenship in a country.
4. anything adapted to a new place, condition, etc., as an animal or plant not indigenous to a place but successfully naturalized.

[from dictionary.com]

Consider: In "Conversations from the Universe," 343 says this:

"A primitive, hegemonizing swarm calling itself The Covenant has landed on Installation 04. Apparently seeking something specific. Exploring! Meddling! I've seen it all before. They'll record what they see and they'll leave."

Consider: The buildings on Delta Halo that Cortana noted were far older than the Halos themselves, and appeared to have been somewhat lovingly preserved, perhaps even revered. They do not look anything like the other Forerunner architecture we have seen.

WHAT THE HELL

I think there's another race out there, one that came before all others and then vanished. Except not quite. This is a race so advanced that the Forerunners can't find them, but they're still here, watching. They are the civilization that left behind the buildings, which the Forerunners carefully moved to the Halos. They are the civilization that visited the Halos, recorded what they saw, and left. And they are the civilization that messed with human DNA, making us advance far faster than we would have otherwise. It is this last thing that makes us special to the Forerunners. They knew about Earth a long, long time ago--the shot of Pangea proves this. When they came back here and found us 100,000 years ago, they weren't expecting to find us in our current state. Something had happened to us. Which is why they were cataloging the DNA of every species on Earth--to try to figure out what had happened.

FINISH THE FIGHT

Remember Myth? Light and Dark in cycles, always fighting. Dark here is the Flood. Light is whatever race is sufficiently advanced to knock the Flood out of our galaxy for a while. These pre-Forerunner fought the Flood and lost. On their way out, they messed with Forerunner DNA to advance them, to get them ready to take over the fight. When it became clear the Forerunner weren't going to win, either, they came back and messed with us, as new contenders.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Maimbot 9000 wrote: These pre-Forerunner fought the Flood and lost. On their way out, they messed with Forerunner DNA to advance them, to get them ready to take over the fight. When it became clear the Forerunner weren't going to win, either, they came back and messed with us, as new contenders.
Playing the Devil's Advocate...

It seems possible, but a little far-fetched to me. Honestly, I think you're over-thinking it. Granted, the structures of Delta Halo were much different than those we saw on Alpha Halo, but why then would these structures only be seen on Delta Halo? What makes that installation so special that it has preserved these structures?
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

We didn't see everything on Alpha Halo. I don't know--all I know is Cortana pointed out those structures, and the artificial nature of that lake, and they're loose ends until we get an explanation. I'm just randomly connecting things in an attempt to explain.

I will probably believe something completely different tomorrow, and don't even completely buy it today, but I like the way this idea ties back to Myth.
MC_
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by MC_ »

Wait a minute... I've seen this somewhere before... I know! Did anyone else's transcript from the first server also save as Log5_transcript?
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Maimbot 9000 wrote:We didn't see everything on Alpha Halo. I don't know--all I know is Cortana pointed out those structures, and the artificial nature of that lake, and they're loose ends until we get an explanation. I'm just randomly connecting things in an attempt to explain.

I will probably believe something completely different tomorrow, and don't even completely buy it today, but I like the way this idea ties back to Myth.
Agreed; they certainly are loose ends, unlike anything we've seen before. However, a thought just struck me:

The description of Warlock indicates that "despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, some stubbornly maintain that this structure was once a Forerunner arena." So there's a possibility. Likewise, and even more intriguing is Relic (I'm looking these up right now, heh): "Covenant scripture dictates that structures of this type are memorials to Forerunners who fell in battle against the Flood." Relic looks like a third, entirely different style of building, almost like a mix of the two we've seen before.

In any case, the architecture is the only truly reliable evidence we have; I don't trust much of anything that the Covenant believe anymore.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

MC_ wrote:Wait a minute... I've seen this somewhere before... I know! Did anyone else's transcript from the first server also save as Log5_transcript?
Ishn't dat veerd? I believe that was the source of the conflict between whether that episode was #1 or #5. It shoulda been Log1, but chronologically it's technically the last.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

yes, had to do a lot of adjusting on the wiki references to fix that. I was hoping there wouldn't be duplicate file names in server 5 :?
Yavanna
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Yavanna »

looking at the second half of Log5:

The thing we built on that world will vouchsafe their lives,
{//}
If the plan succeeds, and they are saved, it will be a good world.
If the plan fails,
{//}
it will remain an enigma forever
{//}

it seems to me that the forerunners somehow knew of their impeding doom and they placed some kind of faith that earth,or possibly more specifically humanity, would fulfill some unclear objective or purpose.

There are many things that are unclear in the Log5_Transcript. By which i mean all the vague words used, ie. "the thing," "that world," "they are," and "it will." But what i think can be drawn as certain or confirmed is the forerunner's strong interest in earth and that they made some intentional efforts to save it.

most of what i have stated is completely obvious. Log5 also seems to be a pinnacle of importance to the Iris storyline and as such i believe it has sparked more questions and makes no attempts ant answers. I think its safe to say that in the coming month up until halo3's release, Iris will continue to develop the story it has to tell...
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Echelon Three wrote:
MC_ wrote:Wait a minute... I've seen this somewhere before... I know! Did anyone else's transcript from the first server also save as Log5_transcript?
Ishn't dat veerd? I believe that was the source of the conflict between whether that episode was #1 or #5. It shoulda been Log1, but chronologically it's technically the last.
I think this is because they probably did a test run of everything before the game actually started, but their code wasn't quite perfect, so things got a little confusoid... half the stuff from 1 got named 5 because it wasn't properly reset back to 1 after the test was completed.
yakaman
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by yakaman »

@ Maimbot: I like.
THESIS
The Forerunnershad forerunners--they themselves were trying to find the remnants of some ancient (to them) civilization that had preceded them, and then disappeared.
I like alot. I don't think there is enough evidence to support it (or deny it), but it sure has a nice ring to it. Cortana's statement on Delta Halo is definitely a baffler, and I've never been able to fit it into any theory.

The big mysteries have become:
:arrow: What makes us special? I used to think it was because the Forerunner did something to us.
:arrow: What is our nature that might allow us to counter the Flood?
:arrow: What happened to derail the Reclaimation plan? Current theories involve a dissenter, and likely, Gravemind

The most interesting thing about server 05 was the deep secrecy of both Earth, and the Halo plan. It seems like perhaps a very, very small percentage of Forerunner knew of it. This makes sense; were the Flood to absorb anyone with this knowledge, the plan would be for naught.

Man, I love how this is shaping up. I cannot wait for September 25th.