Repeating patterns in StarImage1

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

3zz
Data [Conditional]

Re: Repeating patterns in StarImage1

Unread post by 3zz »

Me going on with the offtopic a bit longer:
Black holes send out massive radiation, if I remember correctly, so it wouldnt be very healthy for us. Plus, black holes are formed when a stars gravity becomes so large it begins to pull itself in. As its mass becomes more concentrated into a smaller space its gravity increases even more. This process continues untill all its mass is condenced into an infinately small space with near infinate gravity, so much that it even pulls in all the light that travels by it. Im pretty sure this would be sufficient to pull in the earth as well.
But as we also know, Sol is only a middle-sized star, which dont supernova/blackhole. Therefore all Sol-blackhole speculation is obsolete.

As for the star map... Im afraid we've pretty much exhausted our leads... I cant imagine what we've missed. Ergo I conclude the image may be usefull in correlation to future data new servers may unlock.
Last edited by 3zz on Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Air Sparrow Hawk »

Sable wrote:If the Sun collapsed to a black hole with exactly one solar mass, there would be absolutely no change in the planet's orbits - the black hole would be generating one solar mass's worth of gravity, ergo nothing would change.

It would take a little more than eight minutes for us to notice this, since it takes eight minutes for light to go from the Sun to Earth.

There would be no gradual or sudden sucking-into-edness, unless our current astronomical course shows an orbital decay that would eventually wind up with us hitting the sun anyway.

Stars the size of our sun don't collapse into black holes as a general rule; their stellar life cycle is rather radically different, ending as a white dwarf star if I'm remembering correctly.
Yeah, I wanted to put an end to this so I asked my old Science Tutor. They told me typically Stars the size of the Sun wouldn't become a black hole (as you said) but if it did the entire Solar System would be sucked into it in a matter of seconds. The distance we are from the Sun is tiny by galactic stardards. Feel free to believe what you will though, my science tutor is also no Astronomer, just a science tutor.

Anyway, there has to be something in that starimage1 file. Has anyone tried putting different filters on or anything like that? Who knows, it might reveal something. It's worth trying out anyways.
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

I'm sure there is something in the star image, and the cell image, but we probably can't get to it yet. If they are telling this story in reverse (this is my final transmission) as has been discussed in other threads, then what we've downloaded are the last pieces of the puzzle. We'll probably need more before it starts to make sense. Until then every theory is really is plausible as the next, and there have been many, many good ones, but who's to say if we're even facing the right direction?
beelzebub
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by beelzebub »

Air Sparrow Hawk wrote:Yeah, I wanted to put an end to this so I asked my old Science Tutor. They told me typically Stars the size of the Sun wouldn't become a black hole (as you said) but if it did the entire Solar System would be sucked into it in a matter of seconds. The distance we are from the Sun is tiny by galactic stardards. Feel free to believe what you will though, my science tutor is also no Astronomer, just a science tutor.

Anyway, there has to be something in that starimage1 file. Has anyone tried putting different filters on or anything like that? Who knows, it might reveal something. It's worth trying out anyways.
Sable is correct. If the Sun suddenly became a black hole (which is a function of density, not of mass) there would be no difference on Earth, other than the sudden lack of solar radiation and solar wind. The latter might produce a slight difference in net gravitational force - since now there would ONLY be the gravitational mass of the Sol black hole, as opposed to the net force of gravity minus the outward pressure of the solar wind, but this would result only in a decay in our orbit (which might even resolve, or might result in us slingshotting off into nowhere, I'm not sure). In any event, we would NOT be sucked in in seconds. This makes no sense. The gravitational pull of a black hole is no stronger than any other object of equal mass at a comparable distance. It's only within the event horizon that things become complicated.

Long story short: get a new science tutor.
3zz
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by 3zz »

Then what do you describe as 'event horison'. Plus, what are you basing this on, I'd like to read that through personally.

Ive read books that told me what I posted above, black holes are the mass of a star compressed into a tiny spec of space, thereby effectively creating a huge gravitational force (gravity=mass*density in some way (not literally that equation)). Ergo huge gravitational pull on all planets around it.
Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Air Sparrow Hawk »

Okies I looked it up on the internet, I concede, apparently as long as you stay out of the horizon of the black hole (It's range of effect) then there is no extra gravitational pull and since the gravitational pull hasn't changed the orbits of the neighbouring planets wouldn't either, we'd still freeze over and die though. Trust me, you'll never hear me say that again. ;)

Anyways, back on topic. Has anyone thought of ANYTHING that may be of help? Any knowledge on the subject at hand may prove quite adjutantful (is that a word? I just wanted to use it! :) ).
gspawn
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by gspawn »

The "event horizon" is the point where the gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that not even light can escape (er... barring Hawking radiation... but if you don't get "event horizon", you won't get Hawking radiation- trust me).

So if Earth were close enough to the sun that the sun's collapse would put us inside the event horizon, yeah we'd be screwed. But I'm pretty sure that event horizon would currently be inside the sun... so there's not much danger.