Who thinks 7/7/07 will be a big event?

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Who thinks 7/7/07 will be a big event?

Unread post by Air Sparrow Hawk »

mike g wrote:why do you asume it will be midnight
server 1 opened at 8:00 pm in america....
(im british too but im going to be in tailand/australia with my cousins so i need to do some maths to work out when i should come online ;) )
where should we look for server 2? should we just load up all the suspicious IP adresses discussed?
(i really want a package from MS :) )
I'm not assuming it'll be midnight but it is a possibility. I've looked up the dates on wikipedia of the last large events that happened in this ARG and it seems that things typically happen from 11pm-1am or 9am-2pm. The majority of those events happening in the latter times.

And I really want a package from MS too! Maybe we'll get lucky this time around! :D
mike g
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by mike g »

i think its abit wrong to bathe a tiny proportion of the community in swag and leave the rest shivering in the dark but it might be abit early to judge MS
with ILB didnt they release all the content on a CD at the end?
ill look it up
but i hope they make the codes at least public at the end ...
heres a link to the pic from the first code
http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/gG/ll/1mdsb ... D5Smmg.jpg
does the long series of numbers mean anything do tou think?
oh well ill just stay on a computer as much as i can from now on, hopefully ill catch it
make sure you have a legitimate adress registered with your live account, i think thats how they contact you.
after all that stuff about being fair with the public beta, this whole thing is quite ambiguous :evil:

EDIT:: the ILB content was released on a CD but the CD was only available to the people who went to the pay phones and were directed to halo 2 early multiplayer testing events all over america, sounds like a similar thing here, only the first 500 people to get to the servers get the content, :twisted: :evil:
Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

mike g wrote:i think its abit wrong to bathe a tiny proportion of the community in swag and leave the rest shivering in the dark but it might be abit early to judge MS
ill look it up
oh well ill just stay on a computer as much as i can from now on, hopefully ill catch it
make sure you have a legitimate adress registered with your live account, i think thats how they contact you.
after all that stuff about being fair with the public beta, this whole thing is quite ambiguous :evil:

EDIT:: the ILB content was released on a CD but the CD was only available to the people who went to the pay phones and were directed to halo 2 early multiplayer testing events all over america, sounds like a similar thing here, only the first 500 people to get to the servers get the content, :twisted: :evil:
The difference was that ILB was a constant challenge to people out there, this just seems to be a marketing ploy. But I think it's too early to judge MS. I'm sure they have something entertaining planned, remember, this ARG is supposed to happen all over the summer so it might not get interesting for another month for all we know.
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

Air Sparrow Hawk wrote:
mike g wrote:i think its abit wrong to bathe a tiny proportion of the community in swag and leave the rest shivering in the dark but it might be abit early to judge MS
ill look it up

The difference was that ILB was a constant challenge to people out there, this just seems to be a marketing ploy. But I think it's too early to judge MS. I'm sure they have something entertaining planned, remember, this ARG is supposed to happen all over the summer so it might not get interesting for another month for all we know.
Better not be that long of a wait. They're not going to have anyone to market to if they wait that long.
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

sounds like a similar thing here, only the first 500 people to get to the servers get the content, :twisted: :evil:
Why are people so upset that they didn't get a care package. Can you imagine the immense cost of sending something to everyone who is interested in the ARG? This is the point of give-aways: reward a few to entice the many. You want one so now you're paying attention, but I can't believe the bitterness and, forgive me, whining going on over these packages. What they are doing is par for the course, and really the only logical business model. You either give something to the few, or to everyone for free (i.e. net content, gamer pics w/e). There's no way to tell who's "serious" about the ARG and who isn't, other than rewarding those who are ACTUALLY part of unlocking the game content.
ODST Epsilon wrote: Better not be that long of a wait. They're not going to have anyone to market to if they wait that long.
Additionally, keep in mind that we were sort of expecting an ARG for H3 from the start. The community was ravenous from the start, and chomping and chewing over EVERYTHING. I believe this will pick up speed closer to the release date of Halo, with little bits along the way as we've experienced. ILB took a LONG time to get going, for a while it was really nothing more than a beekeeping site. Then as content was unlocked it slowly picked up momentum into the great exercise in viral marketing that we all remember and love.

I think it's sort of like cartoons from the 1980's - everyone remembers them as a golden age, but when you look back, they had they're not so perfect as we remember. ILB was good, but it wasn't golden from the get-go.

*edited to fix quote box
Last edited by Dalthanas on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Dalthanas wrote:
sounds like a similar thing here, only the first 500 people to get to the servers get the content, :twisted: :evil:
Why are people so upset that they didn't get a care package. Can you imagine the immense cost of sending something to everyone who is interested in the ARG? This is the point of give-aways: reward a few to entice the many. You want one so now you're paying attention, but I can't believe the bitterness and, forgive me, whining going on over these packages. What they are doing is par for the course, and really the only logical business model. You either give something to the few, or to everyone for free (i.e. net content, gamer pics w/e). There's no way to tell who's "serious" about the ARG and who isn't, other than rewarding those who are ACTUALLY part of unlocking the game content.
ODST Epsilon wrote: Better not be that long of a wait. They're not going to have anyone to market to if they wait that long.[/quote/
Additionally, keep in mind that we were sort of expecting an ARG for H3 from the start. The community was ravenous from the start, and chomping and chewing over EVERYTHING. I believe this will pick up speed closer to the release date of Halo, with little bits along the way as we've experienced. ILB took a LONG time to get going, for a while it was really nothing more than a beekeeping site. Then as content was unlocked it slowly picked up momentum into the great exercise in viral marketing that we all remember and love.

I think it's sort of like cartoons from the 1980's - everyone remembers them as a golden age, but when you look back, they had they're not so perfect as we remember. ILB was good, but it wasn't golden from the get-go.
That was kind of rough, anyways. I think a lot of people here feel injustice due to the fact that many people who put a lot of effort into this have nothing so far. There isn't much we can do about it but keep trying, you never know if some of the people here will be in the next group. Or so I hope.
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be rough, but I had just read 3 threads, one of which were hijacked from the original topic to talk about how unlucky everyone else is. I didn't mean for it be personal, and only quoted you because it was the most recent. In another post I dropped you a compliment ;)
I do agree that it has been a long time, and seems like forever that we've just been tossing around idea. I have no doubt that we've broken new scientific ground into the physics of slipstream travel and interstellar destruction with all the time we've had. All I mean to say is the way it is happening isn't all that unusual. I sort of feel like Bungie dropped the ball a bit in execution, but I also know that by the time most people even knew what ILB was it was into a pretty solid stride after having a slow build up just like this.
ODST Epsilon
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ODST Epsilon »

Dalthanas wrote:
ODST Epsilon wrote: Better not be that long of a wait. They're not going to have anyone to market to if they wait that long.

I know I wasn't expecting an ARG/Viral campaign for Halo 3 and I'm not sure a lot of people were either. I guess I made that assumption beforehand because of the fact that it was done before and many other companies seem to be doing virals as well.

I think Air Sparrow Hawk said it perfectly. We're feeling jiibbed because the people on here, for the most part, are fans of the Halo series and are the ones who will sit for hours trying to solve a problem. Compare that to B.net and there is absolutely no way to get an idea of their actual interest in the thing. It would have easier for them to decide that by making some sort of a puzzle and only those who had been paying attention would be able to get in but I guess MS didn't want to alienate some fans of the game and decided to bring everything down to the lowest denominator player who, in their eyes, is unable to solve basic problems and must have all evidence given to them in a very straightforward manner.
mike g
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by mike g »

surly its reasonable to want a package?
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Well of course it's reasonable, in fact I said it's reasonable. Reward the few to entice the many. What I stated I didn't get was the outright bitterness. When you consider how many people are "playing" this ARG in varying degrees, that sort of bitter response, as permeated as it is throughout the past several topics, is kind of crazy. And a lot of the bitterness comes from it being 'them' who got them, and not 'us' when we don't even know who 'they' are.