DoYouGrok

The home for threads that have been locked and don't fit into any other archive category.

Moderator: Moderators

Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

DoYouGrok

Unread post by Dalthanas »

The (currently inactive) e-mail address hidden in the SOTA website is doyougrok@societyoftheancients.com.
I was doing some Googling about Groking, as I had no idea what it meant, and it's a reference to "Stranger In A Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein.

It means to have an intimate and exhaustive knowledge of something.
I've never read the book, but was wondering if anyone here had and could perhaps shed some light on what might be the proper answer to "Do you grok?" I tried Igrok@societyoftheancients.com but it bounced just as quickly as the doyougrok address. There might be a clue to the next step in the book though (as nothing seems to be progressing on its own).
themann1086
Data [Undefined]

Re: DoYouGrok

Unread post by themann1086 »

Someone created a thread like this but it died under myspace speculation. I searched 'grok' to skim what other people had sent in. I think this was the most in-depth:
The only thing that comes to mind not included there is "Thou Art God" or, perhaps, "Grok is fullness".

*shrugs* it's been a while since I've read SiaSL, so someone with more intimate knowledge of the book might be able to tell you more.
JustAHunch
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by JustAHunch »

It was found that any email at societyoftheancients.com immediately bounces back.

Unless they change it, an email will never get through.
UnrealCh13f
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by UnrealCh13f »

Scelus
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Scelus »

I recall seeing that tried. It failed, I believe. That was one of the first ones people tried.
SoulComa
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by SoulComa »

well maybe we should try other common email addresses like @hotmail.com or @gmail.com etc
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

I tried a bunch of options, Igrok@, wegrok@, grokmesideways@ etc. etc. and everything bounced. As was said in a reply above (although I didnt quite understand until creeping the unfiction forums) all e-mail sent to societyoftheancients.com will bounce. The 550 error returned means that the server is not configured to receive incoming mail. I still think this is a clue to the next step (it's the only hidden thing besides glyphs that's been found), but I don't think the key to opening it is selecting the right address. Other than that, I'm clueless. I was hoping some clue might be pulled from the text of the original book, like there was some standard response to the question Do you Grok? but I haven't seen anything emerge in any thread.
xxNaMinExx
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by xxNaMinExx »

Grok? Lol, there may be some hidden depth behind that.

But I don't think they'll be on other domain addresses, that would seriously take one person FOREVER.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

This topic has led to a dead end, just like everything else regarding the SOTA membership process. As more info pops up, I'm sure a thread all about it will manifest in Discussion. Locked.