Repeating patterns in StarImage1

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Arkane
Data [Conditional]

Repeating patterns in StarImage1

Unread post by Arkane »

These two are mirror images of one another. I can't tell if they are absolutely identical (only have MSPaint at work).

Perhaps someone can use a more powerful image editor to flip and overlay?
Last edited by Arkane on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnemesis
Custodian [Obsolete]

Re: Repeating patterns in starmap

Unread post by mnemesis »

Yep, some of the stars were cloned and flipped over.
StarImage1clone.jpg
StarImage1clone.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 15373 times
noobifyer
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by noobifyer »

Good job on that now you've also gotten me to believe that this photo was indeed fake, which I had previously thought was real :P. Ok heres another copied part I found. I had to rotate and flip it though and all I had was MSpaint. If someone likes to they can clarify my picture.
Attachments
What makes me so sure now that this is a fake image is that these two stars are the only ones that seem to have a small indent in them.
What makes me so sure now that this is a fake image is that these two stars are the only ones that seem to have a small indent in them.
StarImage1FALSE.JPG (31.93 KiB) Viewed 15293 times
johny 5
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by johny 5 »

Good job. Now we can definitively say that the picture is either completely done in Photoshop, or was based on an image that has since been altered so significantly that it will never point to a place in real space.

The difference is academic at this point.

yay! Tell all your friends.
reaperdude42
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by reaperdude42 »

hmmm... this is interesting. If i was faking the image so that it couldnt be pin pointed as being any point in space i would either:

1) use photoshop to clone sections and move them around (as hs been done here) or
2) Get two (or more) different star map images and over lay one on to the other to make a whole new star field.

Both Options have their plusses and minusses... I gues the 2nd one is easier to do providing you have more than one image to work with ( 5 seconds on google will provide this) but the first option would give you a more random result.

I can only assume that you would make a fake image of a star field if you wanted it to look like a view of space from somewhere that is not earth. That being the case does anyone have any idea where the star field could be a view from...?

If i had to guess what the glyph was supposed to be highlighting i would say earth...

The other possibilty that i thought of it that there is some kind of pattern to the cloned sections or that the areas cloned define a shape of some kind (grasping now)... If the areas that have been cloned are clearly defined then it might suggest some kind of petternis behind it all...

Any thoughts....
GAMER4EVER
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by GAMER4EVER »

It is definetly based on a real image.... see here for proof.

But still, very good find! :D
mnemesis
Custodian [Obsolete]

Unread post by mnemesis »

GAMER4EVER wrote:It is definetly based on a real image.... see here for proof.
That is most definitely NOT proof.

Their image (cropped):
constellationcassiodt6-crop.JPG
constellationcassiodt6-crop.JPG (29.61 KiB) Viewed 14891 times
The constellations in question:
polaris-constellations.JPG
polaris-constellations.JPG (7.4 KiB) Viewed 14888 times
reaperdude42
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by reaperdude42 »

Erm.. thats proof how???

Im happy to concceed that they have used real images of stars (probably from a hubble image) and then manipulated that image to create a whole new star map, but what i cant see is how you can make a fake star map line up with any real constleations. Sure you might get vague similarities but nothing thats a perfect match...

I think the fact that this is a doctored image is probably much more usefull than if it where an image of a real star field.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

mnemesis wrote:
GAMER4EVER wrote:It is definetly based on a real image.... see here for proof.
That is most definitely NOT proof.

Their image (cropped):
constellationcassiodt6-crop.JPG
The constellations in question:
polaris-constellations.JPG
...interesting how he (the guy on b.net) starts his post by saying that he represents the French community, then posts really crappy "proof" that something is something that it is most obviously NOT. Is that the best France has to offer? They send HIM as a representative? :D
Pay no attention to his "proof"... it's bogus.

EDIT: But the pattern finding was GREAT! Props to you!!!!
NateTheNewt
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by NateTheNewt »

like i said before, the constellations are way too far apart to be anything. also, the repitition pictures also blow this picture wide open, its not a real picture and we need to wait till we get more clues before it will make any sense whatsoever.