Where did all the Forerunner go Theory?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Where did all the Forerunner go Theory?

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

It was a clever theory, and would certainly explain why the Forerunner didn't go behind the shield or hide from the Halos somehow, but this topic has gotten off topic...please keep it on topic or the Locksmith will go to work.
Boston_Will
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Boston_Will »

Even I have trouble with my own theory, lol. From the first game it seemed obvious where all the forerunner went - they were just obliterated from the firing of the rings. However, after GoO this problem became much more mysterious after finding out about the Shield Worlds. It just seems odd that after creating a way to survive the Flood and the firing of the rings, no Forerunner survived - 'Death Day' came earlier than expected.

It seems to me that Forerunners definitely foresaw AI rampancy and therefore protocol allows only the Reclaimer to reunite the index with the Core, therefore a Reclaimer is needed. I think it is given that a Reclaimer was there at the firing of the Halo's 100,000 years ago.

The human forerunner connection is still difficult to explain. On the one hand we could be reclaimers. However there are three problems which arise thanks to the comic found on halo3.com/comic:

1) Humans are not straight forerunner! These 'Gods' only visited earth to build the ARK. However, from the Bible it says God created Humans in his own image. Therefore, this could mean that the forerunner created a race that was a clone of themselves and would survive after they had gone and would know nothing about the Flood.

2) In GoO when Ash meets a sentinal, it classifys him as an 'aboriginal sub species' - therefore humans are a form of forerunner but NOT Reclaimers, even though GS mistakes humans to be Reclaimers. This links in with point (1).

3)It just seems odd to me that the Forerunner would give such a prestigious title to a relatively lower race than they were at the time.

Its late at night so it may sound as if im going on abit - but another thought I just had - what if the Forerunners thought what I said the AI's thought. What if they couldnt risk themselves surviving because they knew they would have an urge to study the Flood and risk another outbreak.
ChiliDog
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ChiliDog »

When AR said "This time no one will be ready" he almost made it sound like there were survivors from the last incident, whether that be flood, humans, forerunner, covenant, i have no idea.
bedlam
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by bedlam »

robotchickengod wrote:Well, then who asked him the question before the first firing? The one "if it were my choice would I do it?" Was he talking to himself?
Funny you should ask.. In Two Betrayals, 343 floats away from the Chief as it approaches Halo's Core Center. And whispers (to himself?), oh, that's a good idea. As he has done many times before.. But maybe Guilty Spark was plot scheming? But not with Cortana.

Also, if it were my choice, would I do it? My answer has not changed.

I wonder "when" 343 was asked that question? Lunch break? Was he really asked that question right before the rings were activated? Or was it during some other random conversation?

And who or what wears a halo?
errolbert
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by errolbert »

Perhaps it's possible that the Forerunner were totally overrun by the Flood because they waited till the last minute to activate the rings... so most all of those "brave and honored souls" had already passed by the time "{D-Com}" made the decision to flip the switch.
errolbert
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by errolbert »

Also, what if the Flood was the creation of the Forerunner. Perhaps they attempted to create a new lifeform and found they were unable to kill "their offspring" even when it had proven itself evil?

An experiment gone terribly wrong —like grey goo.
Swift
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Swift »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:I like this a lot, but where does the human/Forerunner connection fit into the idea? If the Forerunner planned to fire the Halos, step out from behind their shields, and continue as normal, why are we "reclaimers," and what are we supposed to reclaim? Why do we have some special relationship with them (somewhat able to operate Forerunner machinery) and why do the Covenant hate us so much (and not try to make us join them)?

What I mean is, if the Forerunner didn't voluntarily commit suicide, why did they do...whatever it is they did with us...to seemingly prepare us to take over where they left off?

Not trying to cut you down, I'd just like to see your idea go further. It has the ring of truth to it, to me.
Well for the Human/forerunner relation:
Perhaps when the forerunner came to earth to build the ARK, they saw potential from our race and decided that we would be the ones to "reclaim" the place in galaxy that they had. Now as for the Covenent hating us, didn't the prophets claim to be decendents from the forerunner or at least evolve on the same planet? If I were a decendent and the forerunners gave the role of 'reclaimers' to humans, I'd be pretty pissed off too, lol.
Boston Will wrote:Even I have trouble with my own theory, lol. From the first game it seemed obvious where all the forerunner went - they were just obliterated from the firing of the rings. However, after GoO this problem became much more mysterious after finding out about the Shield Worlds. It just seems odd that after creating a way to survive the Flood and the firing of the rings, no Forerunner survived - 'Death Day' came earlier than expected.

It seems to me that Forerunners definitely foresaw AI rampancy and therefore protocol allows only the Reclaimer to reunite the index with the Core, therefore a Reclaimer is needed. I think it is given that a Reclaimer was there at the firing of the Halo's 100,000 years ago.
Going on a wild limb here, what if N'Chala was tricked by the monitor of the ARK into firing the Halo's the first time? From the Comic it appears as though N'Chala has only ever laid eyes on the machines of the forerunner, and if he met up with a monitor it may seem like a god to him (you know, floating there with the knowledge it would posses), and since he was a somewhat primitive human, the monitor tricks him into firing the Halo's before they were meeant to. End result: Forerunners die...?
ToyMachine228
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ToyMachine228 »

Interesting theory though I don't know if I believe it. It seems as if the Forerunners saw their downfall coming and A) took steps to escape it or B) accepted their fate and left behind tools for the humans to escape the Flood or that same fate.
SpartanSeraph
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by SpartanSeraph »

What if some of the Forerunner survived, but didn't reclaim their technology on purpose? Just thinking about them and their situation with the Flood and the Halos reminded me of the Rakata from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. For those of you who have never played the game, heres a quick rundown:

The Rakata were a race that dominated the galaxy through their technology. In time, however, they were consumed by the dark side (became evil) and ended up having their empire destroyed in a civil war. Most of them fled underground and lost all knowledge of the past, becoming primitive tribal creatures. A few, however, survived and remained aboveground, remembering their past. They were so horrified with their technology that they sought to destroy it, so they wouldn't make the mistakes of the past. However, they no longer possessed the ability to destroy it, so they simply abandoned it.

Which brings me to my point: what if the surviving Forerunners were so disgusted by what they had done (with the firing of the Halos and, if they did, the creation of the Flood) that they abandoned their technology and started over. If they thought that the Flood were suitably contained within the Halos, it would seem logical that they would never arise again without outside interference (which was true . . .). Assuming that Earth is the Ark or houses the Ark, it would seem logical that there would be more Forerunner survivors there than anywhere else, since it would likely have better protection from the Halos.

If the humans were similar to or clones of the Forerunner, it would be possible for them to interbreed. This would leave traces of Forerunner DNA in humans, which could explain why Master Chief recognizes the Covenant controls and why humans are seen as reclaimers by the monitors. Just a thought.
RogueDemonHunter
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by RogueDemonHunter »

Spartan Seraph... you just put into words what I have been formulating for a very long time. It explains everything... but I wonder about N'Chala and the aboriginal subspecies. An alien race finds earth and decides humans should take over their legacy once they are gone... but humans aren't gone so obviously any forrunner on earth would also have survived. Interbreeding with aliens seems... odd seeing as the other races we have seen, grunts brutes etc just don't seem all that "compatable". So if the other idea is true, that we are the forrunners who have gone primitive and forgotten technology, then why didn't N'Chala know what the sentinels were. Had it already been that long. Seems like it would be hard to forget your past if you have giant floting bits of tech flying around building a less that super secret base...

Thoughts?

RDH