Important Thought; 'When' are we?

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

NateTheNewt
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Important Thought; 'When' are we?

Unread post by NateTheNewt »

Ryoseth: What the hell am I looking at?... When does this happen in the ARG?
Theteal1: Now, You're looking at now sir...Everything that happens now is happening now.
Ryoseth: What happened to then?
Theteal1: We passed it.
Ryoseth:When.
Theteal1:Just now... We're at now now.
Ryoseth: Go back to then?
Theteal1: When?
Ryoseth: Now.
Theteal1: Now?
Ryoseth: Now.
Theteal1:I can't
Ryoseth: Why?
Theteal1: We missed it.
Ryoseth: When?
Theteal1: Just now.
Ryoseth: When will then be now?
Theteal1: Soon!

Spaceballs = win
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

theteal1 wrote:ilovebees was run by 4orty2wo entertainment. Iris is run by Bungie and Microsoft.

I don't think 4orty2wo had access to Bungie.net at the time.
Er, yes. I'm asking what the in-game reason is. Obviously the real-world answer is that it's easiest for Bungie to use their own site. But if we pretend that AR is a real entity and that the events of the Halo games are real, then why did AR come to bungie.net?
NateTheNewt
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by NateTheNewt »

like someone said earlier, if you were catologing all the history of the human race over the last 100,000 years and suddenly came upon yourself in a very widely known way, wouldnt you choose that place to show yourself over say martha stewarts cooking forum?
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:
theteal1 wrote:ilovebees was run by 4orty2wo entertainment. Iris is run by Bungie and Microsoft.

I don't think 4orty2wo had access to Bungie.net at the time.
Er, yes. I'm asking what the in-game reason is. Obviously the real-world answer is that it's easiest for Bungie to use their own site. But if we pretend that AR is a real entity and that the events of the Halo games are real, then why did AR come to bungie.net?
Oh. I don't think anyone knows that yet.

All he said was, "This will be a good place." He never elaborated.

It's not guaranteed that we'll ever find this out, though...
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I'm not sure there's a real answer, either. I just don't like the implications.

I mean, if AR can find a site by a game company that just happens to be making games about Halo...

...then Master Chief could consult an encyclopedia, find out all about Microsoft's Xbox from hundreds of years in his past, download old copies of the Halo trilogy, and find out what his next move should be. The games exist within the game, basically. It makes my head hurt.

We all know Bungie has plans for world domination, but how are they making games that accurately predict what will happen in 2552? And shouldn't they be using this trick to win the lottery or something?
Prae7orian
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Prae7orian »

The reason for choosing bungie.net doesn't strike me as being that terribly important, other than from a logistical standpoint (i.e. its the best location to broadcast to potential players).

This is an alternate reality game, after all. I would assume that we're supposed to suspend our knowledge of the existence of the Halo game (which essentially would be telling the future in this alternate reality) within the ARG, as I think it is accepted that the events surrounding Adjutant Reflex are occurring within the Halo universe, thus negating the existence of the game and making the events that occur within it a reality (as far as the ARG is concerned).
Last edited by Prae7orian on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
shamanistcrage
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by shamanistcrage »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:I'm not sure there's a real answer, either. I just don't like the implications.

I mean, if AR can find a site by a game company that just happens to be making games about Halo...

...then Master Chief could consult an encyclopedia, find out all about Microsoft's Xbox from hundreds of years in his past, download old copies of the Halo trilogy, and find out what his next move should be. The games exist within the game, basically. It makes my head hurt.

We all know Bungie has plans for world domination, but how are they making games that accurately predict what will happen in 2552? And shouldn't they be using this trick to win the lottery or something?

this post makes my brain tingle. it is too late to be thinking about things like this. lol.
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by robotchickengod »

I just assumed it started in the HALO 3 forum because...oh I don't know....people there are interested in Halo 3, and anything associated with it...

maybe I'm wrong though...
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

robotchickengod wrote:I just assumed it started in the HALO 3 forum because...oh I don't know....people there are interested in Halo 3, and anything associated with it...

He did say "in-game reason..."
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by robotchickengod »

theteal1 wrote:
robotchickengod wrote:I just assumed it started in the HALO 3 forum because...oh I don't know....people there are interested in Halo 3, and anything associated with it...

He did say "in-game reason..."
Yeah, I forgot when I posted that, sorry. But I'm still going to stick with my answer. That there is no in-game reason, and it was simply placed there to get the most attention from those who would enjoy it, and to the gears turning in the minds of those most familiar with the halo universe. So far its been a blast, but I don't think it has in-game relevance, assuming its just a history lesson, as Microsoft said it was.

sorry though!