Where did all the Forerunner go Theory?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Boston_Will
Data [Conditional]

Where did all the Forerunner go Theory?

Unread post by Boston_Will »

This post contains spoilers from GoO and the Halo campaign.

I originally posted this in another topic but I thought I wiil create my own now that AR has PM'd Froman.

One of the big mysteries in the Haloverse is why didnt the Forerunner survive, something obviously went terribly wrong as Dr Halsey said in GoO. I have been thinking about this the past couple of days and came up with many different ideas. My favourite is that the Forerunner AI's thought it was best to kill off all the Forerunners, this theory came to me while watching I Robot. If you remember VIKI thought it was best for the robots/AI to look after the human race, even if this meant killing some humans. This was because of the first law of robotics:

1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Because of war, disease and other nastiness present in the human race, VIKI thought it best to essentially Nanny the human race, thereby no wars would occur and humans would be safe from one another, as Sunny says 'Her logic is undeniable'(or something like that).

Bringing this back to the Halo universe, Guilty Spark and other monitors who are in charge of the Halo's and probably the ARK may have felt that logically it was best to kill off the Forerunner for the good of the galaxy. This would have been benificial for the galaxy as the AI constructs felt that when the Forerunners emerged from the Shield Worlds they would have started tampering with the Flood again, therefore making the possibilty of another outbreak higher and hence endangering all other life in the galaxy. This probability was so great that they thought it best to kill off all forerunner.

If all forerunner were destroyed then the rest of the life in the galaxy (protected somehow by the power of the ARK) would have a chance to evolve and live peacefully in the milky way not ever knowing about the Flood. Well until a life form stumbled upon it again --------> Yet probabilty wise this may have been lower.

Now with the advent of AR's cryptic messages of another being that outranks him it has led me to speculate further. Obviously AR is warning us about something/someone that is of great danger to us. I believe that this 'thing' is another forerunner construct who is similar to VIKI in I,Robot, and wants to fire the Halos again as he may feel the Covenant are becoming too pwerful and are close to discovering the Flood. He may have the power to activate the rings by himself without the need of a Reclaimer - remember Cortana says that Guilty Spark may find a way to set off the Halo's without the index or a Reclaimer in the level Two Betrayals hence you need to destroy the pulse generators. What if this other construct that AR refers to knows how to set off all Halo's from the ARK without an Index or Reclaimer?

Ah well you might say that the Halo's definitely needs a reclaimer to set off the Halo's. However, it will only take one Recalimer to hit the self destruct button, there must have been at least one Reclaimer who thought that this 'logic was undeniable' and whoosh destroyed the Forerunner.
endejas
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Where did all the Forerunner go Theory?

Unread post by endejas »

Interesting. With 343 Guilty Spark's insistence on activating the ring to contain the outbreak, he does seem the kind of intellect that would put the outbreak of the Flood over anything else.

And we know the Forerunner had every intention of surviving with the discovery of the Shield worlds.. I like it. It fits with a lot of what we know.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I like this a lot, but where does the human/Forerunner connection fit into the idea? If the Forerunner planned to fire the Halos, step out from behind their shields, and continue as normal, why are we "reclaimers," and what are we supposed to reclaim? Why do we have some special relationship with them (somewhat able to operate Forerunner machinery) and why do the Covenant hate us so much (and not try to make us join them)?

What I mean is, if the Forerunner didn't voluntarily commit suicide, why did they do...whatever it is they did with us...to seemingly prepare us to take over where they left off?

Not trying to cut you down, I'd just like to see your idea go further. It has the ring of truth to it, to me.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

I agree...this is intriguing.

Any idea why 343GS was so intent on activating the Halo array to destroy the Flood, all the while skipping around the library with MC, spouting Roddy-McDowell-sounding lines including "I am so glad some of them survived (refering to the Flood)..." and laughing like a giddy school girl? These actions seem contradictory to me.

I have to wonder if his name doesn't refer to how he may feel about the Halo activation 99,500-100,000 years ago--because robots don't feel--but instead about the simple fact that he's the one who did it, with or without a Reclaimer there to "help."
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by robotchickengod »

Frogwart wrote:I agree...this is intriguing.

Any idea why 343GS was so intent on activating the Halo array to destroy the Flood, all the while skipping around the library with MC, spouting Roddy-McDowell-sounding lines including "I am so glad some of them survived (refering to the Flood)..." and laughing like a giddy school girl? These actions seem contradictory to me.

I have to wonder if his name doesn't refer to how he may feel about the Halo activation 99,500-100,000 years ago--because robots don't feel--but instead about the simple fact that he's the one who did it, with or without a Reclaimer there to "help."
Well, then who asked him the question before the first firing? The one "if it were my choice would I do it?" Was he talking to himself?
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

There was a Reclaimer there, that much is obvious from the first game because he recognizes the Chief as the Reclaimer and starts talking to him as if he's the same person.
That doesn't mean 343GS didn't dispose of the first Reclaimer once he'd collected what he needed to fire the rings...as he tried to do when Cortana took the Index and the Chief wouldn't hand her over.
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Frogwart wrote:There was a Reclaimer there, that much is obvious from the first game because he recognizes the Chief as the Reclaimer and starts talking to him as if he's the same person.
That doesn't mean 343GS didn't dispose of the first Reclaimer once he'd collected what he needed to fire the rings...as he tried to do when Cortana took the Index and the Chief wouldn't hand her over.
Would he have been able to 'dispose' of the Reclaimer though? I mean, he mentions on more than one occasion that the Chiefs suit and weapons are far inferior than they should be. And the Chief holds his own. You would think that someone with the level of tech the other reclaimer would have been in possession of could have held its own far longer. Assuming he wasn't jumped and shanked in a back alley.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Where did all the Forerunner go?
Edit: Last part is off-topic.
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Avateur wrote:Where did all the Forerunner go?

Into Hershey's Cookie's and Creme.
I always knew there was something special in them!... :P

But seriously, I think we should start discussing the Forerunner's relationship to the rest of the species in the Haloverse...considering the history is going to be a big part of it.
shamanistcrage
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by shamanistcrage »

Avateur wrote:Where did all the Forerunner go?

Into Hershey's Cookie's and Creme.
i needed a little giggle. thanks ava.