Status update

This is where the action happens!

Moderator: Moderators

Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Status update

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Captain, the repairs to the Theseus are complete.

Bzzt! Captain, the preliminary test of the fusion power systems aboard the station are complete. They have been installed successfully without incident. Installation of the primary sensor array is complete. Installation of temporary life support systems are complete, though the station is still depressurized.

Bzzt! We have an estimated two hours before the EM device is complete.

Bzzt! Dr. Muldoon reports that CN Raschad has become more agreeable as of late.

Bzzt! Dr. Muldoon reports that PO3 Wolfe has become less agreeable as of late, citing increased frustration and annoyance. His last session with her lasted only half an hour.

Bzzt! Despite her own preference, XO McAllister has filed a temporary ban on playing flip music in the O-Club due to complaints. 22 individual complaints were logged.

Bzzt! XO McAllister has compiled a list of all 34 submitted guides to non-verbal communication. She has taken the liberty of filtering out all that contain lewd or misappropriate gestures, leaving a total of 16. Of those, she has suggested two for their ease of understanding, three for their basis on military hand signals, and one for sheer ingenuity and ease of use in EVA gear. All have been uploaded to your CNI to be reviewed.

Bzzt! As there are no crew members with related allergies currently serving on the Theseus, the mess has prepared peanut butter cookies.

bzzt! I suggest you get some. I'm told they're very good!
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Status update

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Has Dr. Muldoon picked up on a particular thing that is driving PO3 Wolfe crazy?

Call me paranoid after all these anomalies, Hive, but I'm surprised that this many good things could be going well at once. Send my compliments to the crew on a job well done.

Why do I still feel like the craziest thing is yet to happen?
In the meantime, I suppose a cookie or two won't hurt.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Dr. Muldoon sent this message.

Captain,

I've been wondering about Samantha Wolfe's romantic inclination with David Raschad for some time now. I think I've finally hammered out what it was that was bothering me.

She's never shown any interest, either physical or romantic, with any of her shipmates before. At one point, I suspected this to be a case of asexuality, a term that I hate and yet make myself a hypocrite by using anyway. Truthfully, she's never shown a sexual interest before now. At least, not that I can tell; her activities outside the ship are beyond the scope of my knowledge, of course.

This, combined with David's understandable fear of intimacy, made it mind boggling that the two of them would feel so strongly for each other. Before, they were simply good friends. They rarely worked with each other, but they always shared meals. Their meals were the typical fare of complaining about work or gossip, chest pounding bravado, and a healthy degree of insulting comments. They were your stereotypical Navy personnel, right down to their ability to string one specific piece of profanity into a sentence 18 times. If anything, their own personal issues traditionally would have kept their relationships from reaching this stage.

Indeed, you'll find much of the crew like that.

In my short session with her today, she ended up grabbing me by my collar and asked me to inform that man of questionable heritage whose sexual preferences tend towards women who have given birth that he didn't need to protect her now and that he should watch is own buttocks.

Yes, I know about your personal language filter.

However, I believe that David's revelation about his past appealed to her protective instincts. In exchange, she also saw how his actions might have applied to protecting her. I also believe that his revelation of this put him in the same category as her father; a man who continues on day by day as if nothing is wrong when in reality nothing could be farther from the truth.

In other words, we all want to be with our daddies or our mommies. Or both. Or both at the same time, with other family members thrown in for good measure. But those people I hate analyzing.

In short, she feels safe with him, she feels that she needs to protect him, he's familiar, he's capable of survival, and for all I know chicks do find scars sexy. I'll try to get more out of her.

Now, about Dumb, Dumber, and Homicidal. I think Erickson will plead guilty. I spent some time talking to him today and what do you know? A little applied logic straightened him out and made him see how stupid he was. The IQ is there, the ability to think for himself? Not so much.

The rest are tougher nuts to crack. But I've always been a fan of Tchaikovsky.

LT Muldoon, Robert

bzzt! Don't worry, Captain! Now that the ship is repaired as best we can until we reach port, we're really picking up speed on construction. We're still trying to calculate how soon we'll be done, but unless something major happens, we should be done within a week. Then we can put all this behind us.
Carver
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Carver »

Don't jinx us, Hive. Just cross your metaphysical fingers that something major doesn't happen, but otherwise don't mention such hopes. It merely invites them to be shot down.

As for Dr. Muldoon, I want this relayed to him:

Dr. Muldoon,

Daddy issues, mommy issues, hell, even Fluffers the Family Dog issues, don't justify the fact that both PO3 Wolfe and CN Raschad broke protocol and had a romantic and sexual relationship aboard a ship while on active duty. I want you to sit both of them in front of each other in the weight room and have them lift weights and assault punching bags while the other watches. Afterwards, I want them to explain just what in the BLAM! makes them think either of them needs protecting. They are two of the best soldiers I have ever had under my command, at least when it comes to making people and things suddenly become in dire need of medical attention. They need to be focused on protecting the rest. of. their. fellow. crew.

As far as I'm concerned, either of them trying to protect the other is a gross misappropriation of resources.

Instead, let's see if you and I can switch their focus towards the safety of the rest of the people aboard this tin can. As such, I am placing PO3 Wolfe in the Anomaly Investigation security team, while Raschad and Peters are still assigned to operate and protect the EM Field system. If you could, why don't you see if you can use your skills on your end to convince them that this is the best way t make use of their skills. Thank you.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

bzzt! Sorry, Captain! I'll try not to mention anything like that in the future. I just get so excited over the possibility of this mission being complete! I've already had three people say that I'm squirming in my holotank.

Bzzt! A reply from Dr. Muldoon.

Captain,

David is the least of our worries, at this point. I've got him on the straight and narrow. Let me just say thank the god of simpletons who are easily manipulated for giving David so many buttons to press. Guilt is such a wonderful tool. Also, I've decided that god's name is Elvis.

Samantha we'll get. Putting her on the security team and David on the field will make her eager to respond to those calls. A little bit of me talking to her, and she'll be back in shape. I'll make sure to tell her what you said about her skills, by the way. I like having ammunition to use on my patients.

LT Muldoon, Robert

bzzt! I wish he wouldn't say things like that.

Bzzt! Both CN Peters and CN Raschad have been prepared to operate the device in question. Tests show that it is running, but the issue lies in ensuring that an EM anomaly appears there. Hopefully, we will have success.

Bzzt! Helen has just shared with me a method that may improve our rate of construction on the station without sacrificing quality or safety. She advises that it might not be the best for any other projects as it is custom tailored to this particular mission layout. I have uploaded it to your CNI for review and will wait for your decision.

bzzt! It looks fairly solid to me, Captain. Nothing my Spacebees can't handle with a little application of the old Can Do attitude! She's been increasingly helpful as of late. I wish she would have taken this attitude when she first came aboard.
Helen
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Helen »

I wish you all would remember that I can read all of these...

I'm trying to be helpful, to make up for all the redactions and my previous actions.
Carver
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Carver »

And you're doing a wonderful job, Helen. I have no complaints of your performance of late and I will make a formal note of it upon your return.

Hive, go ahead and proceed with Helen's recommended construction plans. However, please swap the 316 stainless steel with the galvanizd double-pressed porous aluminum. It's less prone to imperfections and is also more resistant to increased maleability when exposed to radiation.

And don't worry about the EM anomaly being where the device is. I have a hunch that the trick is making sure the device is wherever Raschad is.
Helen
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Helen »

Actually, Captain, I was doing an inventory of the ship's machinist's equipment when I noticed that there was a high-pressure torsion rig that has not been used since H. Sinclair was Captain. Though somewhat a relic, I realized that it would be faster in total to alter thinner sheets of aluminum alloy using nanoscale architecture techniques than to manufacture the more traditional thickness. The end total gain is approximately 52 minutes per square foot due to the faster cooling for interior spaces.

I also realized that the station will not be utilizing the AVAB system at full power as often as a manned station would. Though a thinner superconductor array could not withstand prolonged usage at the levels to maintain the suggested safety guidelines for continuous human habitation, the maximum life support capacity of the station is three months. Using six months of continuous operation time at human safety levels as a base guideline with the equations Hive generously provided me, I was able to calculate the optimum spread for the AVAB projection array that would allow the station to operate without fear of radiation befouling the equipment at minimal power.

As well, due to the particulars of the station design and the fact that the exterior has been started but will not be completed until the last of the interior construction is finished, I proposed alterations to the tools and materials delivery protocols. This means that the crew will receive their gear and components approximately 32% faster than the current protocols, which were put in place based on having the exterior completed first. The protocols became compromised by the total completion of the superstructure combined with the peculiarities of the design, and by resolving this complication it speeds up the process by another 2%.

Finally, by allowing both Hive and myself to operate the harness and armatures in unison, it would increase the final construction of the outer hull and exterior AVAB system by 133%.

All of this together means that we could have the station completed within an estimated timeframe of within two to three days. With rather generous additional time set aside for testing, repairs and adjustments, I put the probable timeframe for completion of the mission at a tentative approximation of one week.

Naturally, none of this would have been possible without Hive's rather generous help. He provided me with a great deal of the raw data and equations used in my analysis, as well as a plethora of databases on construction methods and regulations.

Yes, Hive, I know I'm using unnecessarially fancy words again. Grant me my small moments.

No, I'm using them all properly. Different worlds have different dialects. Now, please. Not in front of the Captain.
Carver
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Carver »

Alright Helen, go ahead with the plans. You seem to have everything situated and accounted for. Keep me updated. Thank you.