Weekly Update Message Discussion [BWU - 5/30/08]

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Weekly Update Message? [General Discussion]

Unread post by Avateur »

alstrong wrote:Yeah, it was the first thing floating about in my head after figuring out the years, but there is no reason to correlate the 286 years with the present (2553). Now instead, consider the 300 year war with the Flood (mentioned in the terminals) and this 286 years figure seems to make a bit more sense (to me).

I haven't quite followed all the available information, but could it be possible that Delta Halo was close to the world the Flood were initially discovered? Let's say...soon after the war started, the Forerunner would have taken the samples to Delta, but being an entirely new organism, they didn't know how to contain it properly. But by the time the crap hit the fan, the Forerunner were too busy to deal with it, hence the lack of a response to requests for assistance.

On the flip side, the lack of response might be due to these events taking place post-firing of the Halo Array Network, and the 286 years just happens to be the last time the *something* made a report/request for assistance before the new Gravemind took over things.
Well, Iris taught us that the Flood are extragalactic in origin, so I don't think they have a home world in this galaxy. Either way, the Halo Installations weren't even created until near the end if I'm correct. They were the weapons of last resort. The shield worlds and the Ark seemed to have also been slapped together somewhere near the end. And that was all 100,000 years ago. And as DHalo pointed out, the Gravemind from Delta Halo is the same exact one from that original conflict and firing of the Array 100,000 years ago.

Edit: And Strife, your post is fine. :P
Strife17O7
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Strife17O7 »

Oh, well ok then ;)

Anyway, I just thought I'd take a sec and ask whether we know for certain it was really the entire Ark and Ringworld system that was constructed near the end of the outbreak war, or just the firing mechanisms...
Maybe I'm just not quite as up on my reading, but I've always thought it to be a bit more practical of the Forerunner to adapt existing hardware/installations for such an emergency situation rather than take the length of time it probably must have taken to build an entire ringworld from scratch, complete with balanced ecosystems...

Or....well, at least the Ark. Since in Halo 3 we see a replacement Installation 04 at approximately 60% completion in a very short amount of time after the destruction of the original.

But still, I always thought that it was extremely extravagant to build an entire livable ecosystem onto an artificial construct without any intention to live on it.
Thus, I always theorized that the ringworlds were originally intended as artificial population centers. Shield worlds could have been simply the last phase of Forerunner military deconstruction right? And a godsend that they were still around as it turned out it seems. Am I alone in this thinking?

Also, come to think of it, just because the Ark could complete a Ringworld in a very short amount of time, it doesn't necessarily mean that they were all originally constructed for the purpose of containment. Except perhaps to contain an expanding population?

Then there's something else that I don't personally know for certain. Which came first, the Ark or the Ringworlds? Maybe this has already been covered, but could it be possible that the Ringworlds had been constructed first(perhaps for habitation purposes), at a comparatively early time with technological improvements being added as time passed(e.g. the ruin-like structure on Installation 05)? By this line of thinking, the Ark could've simply been a late, long-term technological development for the primary purpose of constructing the (venerable?) ringworld habitats much faster...
Take a successful idea that ordinarily takes a long time to construct and then invent a method by which it can be mass produced?

And perhaps it's location in the far reaches of (this?) galaxy could be seen as evidence of a planned extragalactic expansion?
That said, it could be possible that a scouting expedition to another neighboring galaxy for such expansion project was consumed by a certain all-consuming parasite, which then had a means to propogate itself...
It could've even been the construction of the Ark itself that discovered the parasite for all I know...

Am I wrong? :?
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

Well, the original purpose of the rings in unknown. Whether they were built specifically as "Swords" is unknown. Its not all that important of a detail anyway, in my opinion.

And we do know from the Terminals that the Flood Super Cell was discovered on the planet G617g in our galaxy. How the Flood arrived there from out of the galaxy (as the Forerunner had determined the Flood's origin was extra-galactic) is unknown.
Red_Breast
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Red_Breast »

I'm happy we're getting some story related stuff from Bungie. Even if it does end up being related to a multiplayer map which is something I don't reallt indulge in.
Strife17O7
Data [Conditional]

DHalo wrote:Well, the original purpose of the rings in unknown. Whether they were built specifically as "Swords" is unknown. Its not all that important of a detail anyway, in my opinion.
Indeed. I'm pretty much just speculating wildly. (Rampantly?)
Sry. :roll:

Anyways, true, it would be of little consequence to the events taking place the the Halo story proper. That is, the events of the games.
Such a thing would probably be more relevant to Forerunner history/heritage I would think.
I tend to be interested in that area.
Idk.
Just a suggestion for alternate uses of one's ringworlds.

There'd be a number of reasons against such thinking though.
Why would they bring something as dangerous as the flood to a population center for study?
That would imply they didn't know what they were dealing with.
More random assumptions.
Pffht..I'm done. :|
This type of discussion probably belongs on the HBO bbs anyways.
alstrong
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by alstrong »

Strife17O7 wrote: There'd be a number of reasons against such thinking though.
Why would they bring something as dangerous as the flood to a population center for study?
That would imply they didn't know what they were dealing with.
More random assumptions.
Pffht..I'm done. :|
This type of discussion probably belongs on the HBO bbs anyways.
But are the rings population centers? They've usually been described as research facilities. "Designed to study and contain the Flood". Take a step back and see the rings for what they are - controlled and artificial environments. Not only that, but it does not seem important for them to be placed near habitable worlds, rather, gas giants... i.e. away from populations.

If the rings were population centers, there would be cities or signs of civilization yet all we see are undeveloped lands and empty seas: a seemingly natural environment. Instead there are few buildings that deal with controlling the ring or some sub-system. Weather systems can apparently be tightly controlled as well.

The rings seem more like the ideal environment for conducting experiments to me.
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Well maybe we just never went to parts of the ring that had population centers. Remember how, from above, the Ark looked like it had streets or something? But we never saw that in the game. Maybe they kept Halo cities away from the Flood for obvious reasons. But I would look at it like a scientists who also sleeps in his lab. He's there everyday. Why commute back and forth everyday when all you're going home for is sleep?

Especially with the price of gas. Have you noticed that there aren't many oil reserves in the vacuum of space?
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

If I may speculate:
We have already seen that the Forerunner had a whole plethora of installations designed to study as well as combat the flood (possibly including the halo rings, why else would they keep specimens there?) and these locations are all carefully regulated by both sentinel security and big walls (see halo 2 level sacred icon).
What if then, the facility in question, did the literal meaning of what they say. I've heard it mentioned here that LF.Xx.3273 is either the Gravemind or a 'Flood super cell.'
The quote reads "LF.Xx.3273 research and containment facility;"
Is it possible then that the Forerunners built the said site to study a gravemind-class flood form? I'd imagine that such a structure would have some of the structures mentioned in the description of this "Smuggler" map.
Again, pure speculation.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

I think it's more likely that the installation in question was built to study the cell makeup itself, like a more specialized version of the gas mine. It is perhaps on 05 (hence 2401), and was designed to contain ultra-lethal flood biomass (pureforms, perhaps?) for study and the possible development of countermeasures. However, it would seem that 2401 violated protocol in some way, resulting in a release of the flood and an ensuing infection.

-Elpolloguapo
Last edited by uncle_trubble on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strife17O7
Data [Conditional]

Well, IMO, each theory is as valid as the next.
Bottom line for me though: the Ringworld installations could have either been originally constructed strictly as either population centers, research facilities, or rather hazardously, a combination of the two.
True, 343GS mentioned something about Installation 04 being designed to study and contain the flood, and that may be the end of the discussion.
But still...it just sounds really rather excessive to build something that massive and complex for that one purpose right? or no?
"Halo is a weapon" & "...built to study and contain the Flood."
True the flood was a massive threat demanding a massive response, but just how long did they spend planning and putting together such massively complex constructs for the sole purpose of studying and containing something that apparently caught them so off-guard?
How long did it take them to perceive the Flood as a threat anyway?
I know I'm missing something here, perhaps someone else here can fill in the gaps.
Has there been established any sort of timetable between the initial outbreaks and the activation of the Rings?
If it was long enough, they may well have had enough time to build a research/containment network as massive as that...
but still...
If the danger was realized mightn't they have spent their time just as well bolstering their reduced military?
:| Phew...that's enough for me for now.