Progress can and may have blinded you.

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Progress can and may have blinded you.

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Nothing in the Terminals or the ARG specifically said that us as Homo Sapiens Sapiens aren't Forerunner, however things in the game specifically said that we ARE Forerunner, rather clearly in fact.

Don't pull the comic card out either, there was a species of humanoid on Earth at the time in question that is said to "look just like us if they were wore clothing" and as such, the comic doesn't specifically state that N'chala is Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Server 5 doesn't say Homo Sapiens Sapiens are the animals they want to save from the firing, however there is more evidence (from the Terminals) that all life they found on Earth was worthy of being saved and that every one of them must be "indexed" and sent to the ark, JUST LIKE THE STORY OF THE ARK FROM THE BIBLE! Also, the HUMANS on the ARK in the STORY DIRECTLY CONSTRUCTED IT. The deity that "told them to do it" didn't build it. I doubt that cave people are capable of creating a large space station beyond the rim of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Then there is the Bestarium which was made from translated (somewhat barely) documentation from various sources, a compilation if you will, that was assembled by an unknown entity. I do not think it is entirely Forerunner in nature, as in Halo 2 and shown in Halo 3 all humans are Reclaimers however the Bestarium lists Master Chief as the sole Reclaimer, hinting that this was assembled after the events of Halo 1. It could have been done by any number of individuals despite it's Forerunner appearance, we just can't say. Heck, it could even be ONI created for all we know, ONI does know more than us after all.

None of this "evidence" is solid enough for me, yet it seems that the entire Bungie community has gone rabid and has immediately jumped to the conclusion that we are not Forerunner despite 343GS saying we are specifically just because of IRIS and the Terminals. As I have just pointed out, this sudden influx of information and progress of searching for the truth has blinded the whole community. And remember "Progress CAN blind you" I think it was set up this way to see who would decipher the truth and would jump to conclusions without being told anything directly. And in so doing would end up discarding what IS said directly simply because it doesn't agree with theories based off of vague backstory pieces that don't say anything for certain.

And yesh, I have upgraded my flame suit to a class 12. I have noticed that anyone else who shares this belief on Bungie.net is only wearing a class 2 which is ill suited for this kind of work.
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Progress can and may have blinded you.

Unread post by LordOsiris »

Plus, god gave the tools/plans to noah to build his ark, so the forerunners/humans may have been given the tools and plans to build the halo ark.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

actually the quote from gs343 is
You are the child of my makers. Inheritor of all they left behind. You ARE Forerunner!
This entire phrase seems very symbolic. It's not necessarily literal. If it were, it would seem almost contradictory. "child of my makers" can easily mean that the forerunners (librarian?) did actually consider humanity to be extremely special, calling us their "children". "Inheritor" is the clearest example of non-genetic connection. In the end, because of our exceedingly special relation with the Forerunners, we (MC) "ARE" essentially now Forerunner.

It can very feasibly be GS speaking non-literally about the status of our existence in relation to the Forerunner, since he knows now much more about our history and interaction with the Forerunners.

And, like the Covenant, if the Forerunners are a conglomeration of a number of races and/or species, then the terminology fits even snugger.

I think the point that we are not genetically Forerunner is much easier on the storyline than if we are genetic descendants of the Forerunner.
Trevelyan
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Trevelyan »

I agree. We (humanity) inherited all that the forerunner left behind and possibly were a big "thing" for them - hell the entrance to the ark was on earth! I assume this perhaps is the only portal since the covenant also knew it was here (and no human pressence was foretold, I think the words that were used were along these lines in Halo 2).

Also, if you were being literal, it means that John himself is forerunner. Either 343 is a bit nutty and thinks he looks like a forerunner guy or this implies John is somehow different from Humans.

No, humans were interesting to the forerunner. Look at the ARG stuff, im pretty sure they wanted to save us, humanity, and explicitly mention us (although without using the word "humans".)

And what of that African dude 100,000 years ago in the comic strip. He was human and he wasnt forerunner. I doubt that humans from outside earth would dig a huge structure on a planet also housing humans and not in some way contact them. I can believe that the forerunner were similar to humans, either in appearance or genetics somehow.. it would explain why it was said that we (humans) may hold answer to some of their (forerunner) own mysteries. Or something similar...
zoned out
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by zoned out »

One thing still puzzles me though. In GoO when one of the spartan IIIs came face to face with a sentinal the sentinal spoke to the spartan in latin. As you know English is based off of latin.

So why was a forerunner machine speaking latin, a human invented language.

What's more troubling is that the sentinal did not consider the spartan a reclaimer for some odd reason.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

It's not so troubling when one considers the sentinels in the Halo games don't speak at all--only the monitors do--and the games and the books, while based in the same universe, have not really intersected in an appreciable way until Halo 3.

Since Eric Nylund presumably had the sentinels speak in GoO for the purpose of furthering the plot of that story, we can (safely, I think) assume the Onyx sentinels were/are somewhat more intelligent than the ones in H1,2, and 3--perhaps a step above those, but one or two steps less intelligent than the monitors.

Since humans ARE forerunner, whether literally or figuratively (thanks, GS), it's not a stretch to see that the "original" forerunners programmed their droids to speak Bocc--er, Latin. :lol:
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

zoned out wrote:One thing still puzzles me though. In GoO when one of the spartan IIIs came face to face with a sentinal the sentinal spoke to the spartan in latin. As you know English is based off of latin.

So why was a forerunner machine speaking latin, a human invented language.

What's more troubling is that the sentinal did not consider the spartan a reclaimer for some odd reason.
Dr. Halsey's theory is that the sentinaels wanted to establish contact in a "base language" to communicate better

and spark saying "you are forerunner" could implie that since humans "inheirited" forerunner tach and such, that makes them forerunner
ProfessorHojo05
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ProfessorHojo05 »

Has anyone considered that the word "Forerunner" may actually be a title of some sort and not the name of the species? Perhaps the Forerunners were a group of people or many species who gathered together under the "Mantle" in order to protect life and they chose Forerunner as their collective name............then along comes humanity and earth. The Forerunners protect us from the Halo firing and label humanity among the Forerunner people knowing on an evolutionary scale what we would turn out to be. A LOT can be determined from DNA alone after all.
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

Hojo has an excellent point! Its just like the Covenant, a name of a group. Covenant are made of different species, but are all still refered to as the Covenant, the Forerunner could be the same but are all referred to as Forerunners. Could it possibly have a Caste System? Humans are the species assigned to activating the Halos incase the Flood are ever released again?
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

heh um... I think I mentioned that a few posts ago :P (and I'm sure I'm not the first to have thought of it anyhow)
And, like the Covenant, if the Forerunners are a conglomeration of a number of races and/or species