Forerunner question that will have a point once answered...

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Forerunner question that will have a point once answered...

Unread post by theteal1 »

AfRo SaUcE wrote:Onyx. Has the only known Forerunner City. Also is a Dyson Sphere and they have that slipspace rift in it so that the Forerunner can save themselves from the pulse of the Halos.
Umm... I think [spoiler]Onyx was decimated by Kurt's nuke and the UNSC or something... Not much is left there.[/spoiler]
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

theteal1 wrote:
AfRo SaUcE wrote:Onyx. Has the only known Forerunner City. Also is a Dyson Sphere and they have that slipspace rift in it so that the Forerunner can save themselves from the pulse of the Halos.
Umm... I think [spoiler]Onyx was decimated by Kurt's nuke and the UNSC or something... Not much is left there.[/spoiler]
Haven't read the book but thats what I read on wiki.. at least I think..
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

AfRo SaUcE wrote:
theteal1 wrote:
Haven't read the book but thats what I read on wiki.. at least I think..
Oh. Well, in that case, I'll just tell you that... (Spoilered just in case)

[spoiler]The Forerunner built Onyx. It's a completely artificial world.[/spoiler]
AfRo SaUcE
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by AfRo SaUcE »

Haven't read the book but thats what I read on wiki.. at least I think..[/quote]

Oh. Well, in that case, I'll just tell you that... (Spoilered just in case)

[spoiler]The Forerunner built Onyx. It's a completely artificial world.[/spoiler]
I know that much..
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

So, all we have seen so far of the Forerunner are completely manufactured and artificial worlds? That in itself is nuts.

Here's a little more of where I am going with this:
-- True or False: The Halo array destroys not The Flood, but its food. --
If the above blue statement is true, then I ask the green questions:
Then where are The Flood that the Forerunner were fighting and losing to? Oh, they got starved out, you say. Or, they are living happy lives on a Forerunner homeworld, which we have yet to discover.
Then how did the Flood that was on Halo survive both a) the firing of the Halo array and b) the 100,000 years between firing and discovery? What "food" did they have, after the Halo firing? The Forerunner preserved them with cryogenics (or something like it), you say.
Why didn't the Forerunner preserve themselves in the same manner? It wasn't possible, you say.
Why preserve the thing that is making you resort to such a desperate and suicidal plan of firing the Halo array? To study them, you say.
You just wiped the Universe clean! Who's left to study them? The Humans that The Forerunner discovered and somehow preserved, you say.
But they are just as vulnerable to The Flood "infection" (for lack of a better word) as you are... you are basically dooming them to your same fate! (Yes, I know it's not a question...)
End result -- another epic Flood infestation, which may result in another Halo firing.

If the above blue statement is false (meaning The Flood is destroyed along with the food), then I ask the red questions:
How is there still Flood? It was preserved on Halo, you say.
How was it preserved? You say either, IDK or cryogenics.
Why didn't the Forerunner preserve themselves in the same manner? It wasn't possible, you say...
Then, the questions just go in a loop of the last half of the green questions:
Why preserve the thing that is making you resort to such a desperate and suicidal plan of firing the Halo array? To study them, you say.
You just wiped the Universe clean! Who's left to study them? The Humans that The Forerunner discovered and somehow preserved, you say.
But they are just as vulnerable to The Flood "infection" (for lack of a better word) as you are... you are basically dooming them to your same fate! (Yes, I know it's not a question...)
End result -- another epic Flood infestation, which may result in another Halo firing.

...and if anyone replies to this post with the one word "Believe", I am going to have a conniption.

There is just a disconnect in the logic of what the Halo Array is actually capable of and how it operates. It seems as though we (the collective "we") were either in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, and placed in that situation by a bunch of jerks that we call The Forerunner who preserved The Flood... or, we had no chance from the beginning, and The Flood is really Darwin's perfect species, and we should be OK with letting it consume the Universe.

If we had found a Forerunner home-world (that was not artificial), it would either be completely Flood infested (meaning the Halo array doesn't wipe out Flood), or it would be devoid of all life (meaning the Halo array does kill Flood) and we'd know who was the real bad guy: The Forerunner or US (the weaker species).

I am very willing to accept any criticism on my flow of logic here, so please pick away. Again, I am trying to stay away from the speculation, and keep this a discussion of what we know, but had to use some speculative things in order to keep the Socratic dialog from ending without an answer, and to stretch it to fit any possible situation.
Master D0rk
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Master D0rk »

Some very good questions there. Perhaps at some point in time during the war with the flood, the Forerunner captured some for study. Maybe the Forerunner figured they would win the war and study the flood after the war was over. When the war got too bad, perhaps they didn't have the chance or forgot to release those captured flood specimens so that they could be destroyed/starved as well. Or perhaps they hoped no one would disturb them.
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

I'd guess the answers to your questions to be (roughly): the universe wasn't wiped clean, the galaxy was. The flood are extragalactic in origin, and the forerunners understood that killing every flood spore in the milky way would only forestall the final reckoning, not enact it. Just as if your city had a smallpox epidemic, you have to know that finding a cure for smallpox is (roughly) 10 million times more important than even the most effective quarantine (which is what the halos enacted, basically, a quarantine line for the future). So that is my inference from the server clues as to why the forerunners were stupid enough to keep samples around for after the firing--for studying, to be prepared for whatever extragalactic means.

Beyond that bit of informed speculation, I have no answers.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Yeah. To add to what smallfry said, I'd say they left Flood behind, preserved, for us to find and continue the study. It seems like something went wrong at some point--like if things had gone right, we (humanity) would have known what to do. Like we were meant to find the Ark? Dig it up, get a history lesson and a map to the Halos? "Listen guys, there's this stuff called the Flood that is going to come kill you. Here's what we tried, here's what we think might work, here's where we have some Flood preserved for you to look at." But for whatever reason, that lesson didn't happen.

Where are the Flood the Forerunners were fighting? Two possibilities: One, they just plain left. They must have been spaceflight-capable to be such a threat to the entire galaxy, and we know they came from outside the galaxy, so... Two, they really died. And decomposed. Didn't leave a trace.
Agent ME
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Agent ME »

About Onyx:
[spoiler]The planet was artificial probably by the forerunners. No tectonic activity.
Forerunner buildings found there, and everything about the planet was made classified, including its existence itself.
The Spartan-III project was conducted there.
At the same time of the activation of the first Halo, super-powerful sentinels come out of the planet and kill most of UNSC forces, including a spaceship.
Dr. Halsey and Kelly after abondoning Spartan-117 and the others from the Rebel base on the asteroid, come out of slipspace near Onyx after the doctor figures out that something is probably happening there from files leftover from Colonel Ackerson.
...Now from farther-back memory, I might be missing a few details...
They regroup with the last S-III's, and make their way into the planet, as the Covenant find the planet and try to find its purpose, while fending off the super-sentinels.
Dr. Halsey and the spartans find a teleporter system, destroy some of the sentinel factories, and manage to find the planet's purpose - a slipspace portal inside the planet that had opened as Halo came online, and was slowly closing within a few hours.
They get inside it after fighting through armies of covenant and end up in an earth-like world, which they realize is a dyson sphere with a small star in the center. Dr. Halsey realizes the slipspace transfer was so fast, they must be inside the planet, and the place is probably just a few meters across on the outside, with the inside being compressed extremely (ever seen/read the harry potter books? Remember how the inside of the car/tent/hermione's purse was a lot larger than it looked on the outside?).
The planet explodes, and the remaining covenant and UNSC ships realize that the planet's crust was made of the super-sentinels, which immediately start to destroy the covenant ships.
The dyson sphere is intact, and they start to explore it.[/spoiler]
There's a lot of stuff I glanced over, and even some bigger/weirder details. For instance some of the spartans were trapped inside some sort of sarcophagouses in suspended animation, which bent space around them in a way that made them invulnerable.