Iris Is Officially Over...

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Dan the Stick
Data [Conditional]

Re: Iris Is Officially Over...

Unread post by Dan the Stick »

Sorry this is late, been busy. Always better to take things off my chest and onto forums. Even though this ARG is the first one I have joined in I still feel slightly disappointed. I was hoping for a bit more because I never managed to open a server. I'm not saying this wasn't fun and the info we got on the halo universe isn't interesting, I'm just saying I would have like to have done more. Sure we had to go some places and stay up on our computers all night (which, I'm sure for a lot of us, isn't anything out of the ordinary), it just wasn't as exciting as I had hoped it to be. Though I'm still hoping that something else may come out of Iris soon (be that before the game comes out, or after when we've cheked out the terminals). :D
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

While I question the validity of the article, and certainly don't want the ARG to end, I wouldn't put this past Microsoft.

I think there's more to come, using the keys for something.

But, in the meantime, we need something to do.

Anyone like Half-Life? aperturescience.com
Icy Inferno
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Icy Inferno »

I'm not going to lie. Iris, as an ARG, hasn't been too good even when it ws going. Like a jammed gun it would fire out a server, get everyone riled up, and then jam again leaving long periods of time between servers in which we did nothing.

And if they end it now that would be horrible. Without giving any information (except that the forerunners discovered and saved earth) thus far thats revolutionary, or (to be blunt) particularly interesting, it seems like we've been getting videos of what everybody had resonably assumed about the forerunners vs the flood (ie. forerunners got destroyed, tried a few things before the activate the halos, everything dies).

The entire thing seems to have been red herring after red herring.

Please microsoft, do something do redeem this. Show what the hell they did with the covenant races, or perhaps something we haven't even thought of. Give us some freaking depth!
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I feel like this would have felt a little more conclusively finished if they'd just put the Array Recorder Data from Server 1 on Server 5 instead. Imagine the game ending with:
awesome text wrote:{D-com} No pain. No remorse. Is that normal?

[<array-sdr.> 0 seconds]
fire: -00-00-00-00-0001-
Reversion Sequence…{negative}
Array Authorized…_{Activate}
Rings online…_{Activate}
<Fire>

[<array-sdr.> 7 seconds]
+00+00+00+07+0001+
reset…………………………..
reset…………………………..
reset…………………………..
Downbeat and ominous, just like how ILB ended. Instead we get an article on MS's internal site mentioning, in passing, that the game is over.
Xastabus
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Xastabus »

Being that this is the first ARG I've participated in, I can't really compare it to anything else. I can certainly recognize that putting together a production like this involves a considerable amount of planning and time, time that was apparently volunteered by the people who put it together. At least that's what I got out of the news bit in the first post.

There were some aspects I think could have been better. Like the monitor application; it would have been nice to have gotten it from Episode 1, and it would have been nice if it gave at least 24 hours notice before the keys became available.

Some things weren't exactly fair, but I don't see how they could have had much control over that. At least not in the way they presented the game. It sort of ruined the experience a bit as not everyone had the chance to "unlock" a server.
I could think of other ways they could have presented the ARG that would have given everyone, especially those who might have wanted to follow things on their own, a chance to experience every aspect of the story.

On the other hand, I disagree with the view that nothing new was revealed. Personally I feel that I learned a lot from the content released over the course of the game. It seems like some information has been left out intentionally. As if this is the next cliffhanger and Halo 3 might contain the answers we seek. I wish there was more to do aside from wait for Halo 3.

On the other, other hand, I've got Bioshock to hold me over until September 25.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

obligatory: NOT AN ARG
Xastabus
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Xastabus »

thebruce wrote:obligatory: NOT AN ARG
By what definition?
MIKEAWESOME
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by MIKEAWESOME »

To those questioning the Validity of the article, also those trying to get people who work at MS to verify. Lets go over what we've found about Microsoft, shall we?

One: Customer Service, as a whole, denies articles regardless of the source and bases everything off policy, since an article's validity can't be verified while they're on the line with you (it'd just take too much for a rep to fact check it with you on the line).

Two: MS Shareserv (or whatever it's called) is such that it changes content to fit the viewer, so someone from one division may see something completely different from someone in another division. So if your friends who work at MS can't verify, it's probably because of that.
Doug52392
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Doug52392 »

That's what I found suspicious. Microsoft SharePoint is designed as a colaberation tool for companies, and can keep that data on a network's intranet. The guy who logged in at Microsoft's headquarters works in a completely seperate division, Mobile Developer eXperience, which has absolutly nothing to do with Microsoft's entertaiment divisions. So why would he get access to that kind of information?
repentant newcomer
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by repentant newcomer »

In regards to this ARG went along, I have mixed feelings. While some of the background story was revealed, there are too many holes, and questions left unanswered. This is the second ARG I've done and once again, I feel slightly let down, in part for the previous complaints.

But you know what? it was fun while it lasted. And if anything, this has me more hyped up for playing my friend's Halo 3.