Terminal.jpg General Discussion

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Kashaku
Data [Conditional]

Terminal.jpg General Discussion

Unread post by Kashaku »

After staring at the image for a god few hours, and comparing it to the AR avatar image, I've noticed the same things already found but also something interesting...

Not only does the AR avatar corresponds to the center of the iris on the right...but it also matches the graphic at the bottom left. The "J" As I personally don't know what that is yet, seems to be located at the center of the blue "blast" in the backdrop....thoughts?
Attachments
Terminal theory.jpg
Terminal theory.jpg (675.39 KiB) Viewed 19118 times
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Terminal.jpg General Discussion

Unread post by Dalthanas »

I saw this asked about in the other thread, so I deserve no credit for the thought, but has anybody layered the right image over the glyph? The image on the right REALLY looks like an electronic pupil, with veins and everything, and the glyph would fit in the middle, making the black dot the Iris. I don't have the programs at work to do it, but if someone could indulge me, I think the result should be satisfactory.
Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

As an old Marathoner, I'd like to post my 2 cents. (If anyone wants to know how the old terminals worked in Marathon, I suggest they go here: http://marathon.bungie.org/story.)

I think that if this image is from a terminal, as its name suggests, then it probably is the opening screen to the terminal. In Marathon, when you opened a terminal, it would first display an image, usually an icon depending on what AI you were talking to, then proceed to the terminal text. The idea that the design within the eyeball matches up with OAR's logo suggests to me that possibly in the game we will be dealing with the remnants of an old AI, possibly Adjutant Reflex himself, as we did with Thoth in Marathon:Infinity. Possibly we may have to interact with this older AI in order for certain events to happen within the game.

On a more speculative note, maybe the "J" in OAR's symbol stands for Jjaro, and that's who the forerunners are going to turn out to be...
Van Helsing
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Van Helsing »

Facultas Tempestas wrote:As an old Marathoner, I'd like to post my 2 cents. (If anyone wants to know how the old terminals worked in Marathon, I suggest they go here: http://marathon.bungie.org/story.)

I think that if this image is from a terminal, as its name suggests, then it probably is the opening screen to the terminal. In Marathon, when you opened a terminal, it would first display an image, usually an icon depending on what AI you were talking to, then proceed to the terminal text. The idea that the design within the eyeball matches up with OAR's logo suggests to me that possibly in the game we will be dealing with the remnants of an old AI, possibly Adjutant Reflex himself, as we did with Thoth in Marathon:Infinity. Possibly we may have to interact with this older AI in order for certain events to happen within the game.

On a more speculative note, maybe the "J" in OAR's symbol stands for Jjaro, and that's who the forerunners are going to turn out to be...
A very good point well made,

I'd like to see what the terminals in Halo 3 turn out to be like,
rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by rewind »

Facultas Tempestas wrote:As an old Marathoner, I'd like to post my 2 cents. (If anyone wants to know how the old terminals worked in Marathon, I suggest they go here: http://marathon.bungie.org/story.)

If they end up being the Jjaro...I will only be too happy to be glad of the "tie in" to the M uni, other than just the occasional nod, giggle and easter egg.

(going a little Meta and Spec here) An older AI interaction (hopefully someone with as much attitude as the D himself) would be fantastic. The knowledge of the Terminal screens in H3 (by the achievements) supposedly wasn't supposed to happen yet, so maybe this image (named terminal appropriately) was supposed to provide our very first insight into the possibility of Terminal style interaction, which really does provide a much different experience than cut scenes...
Power to IRIS
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Power to IRIS »

rewind wrote:

If they end up being the Jjaro...I will only be too happy to be glad of the "tie in" to the M uni, other than just the occasional nod, giggle and easter egg.

(going a little Meta and Spec here) An older AI interaction (hopefully someone with as much attitude as the D himself) would be fantastic. The knowledge of the Terminal screens in H3 (by the achievements) supposedly wasn't supposed to happen yet, so maybe this image (named terminal appropriately) was supposed to provide our very first insight into the possibility of Terminal style interaction, which really does provide a much different experience than cut scenes...
If this is correct, then each of the Terminals in H3 will be much harder to access than the H2 skulls and will be hidden in abnormal areas that are normally reachable or cannot be seen without a certain skull.
rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by rewind »

Power to IRIS wrote: If this is correct, then each of the Terminals in H3 will be much harder to access than the H2 skulls and will be hidden in abnormal areas that are normally reachable or cannot be seen without a certain skull.
Not necessarily... In Marathon they were crucial to story play, seeing as there were no cut scenes (except for the single high[er] res graphic at the start of the map). I don't think Bungie would include terminals only to have a handful of people care about them. If they were "super-hidden", then the only people that would care are:

obsessives (must accomplish everything)
gs whores (gamerscore obsessives)
former lone-security officers capable of surviving the fall

I think that them (the terminals) being there will play into story...especially with the level of "AI" interaction (albeit indirect) that started this whole IRIS.

Now with the achievement, I fully expect there to be hidden terminals, quite a few in fact, but the majority will be crucial game elements.
Last edited by rewind on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DHalo
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by DHalo »

H3 Achievement List Spoils

[spoiler]There's an achievement called Marathon Man. You get it by access all of the terminals. TERMINALS.[/spoiler]
Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

rewind wrote:
Power to IRIS wrote: If this is correct, then each of the Terminals in H3 will be much harder to access than the H2 skulls and will be hidden in abnormal areas that are normally reachable or cannot be seen without a certain skull.
Not necessarily... In Marathon they were crucial to story play, seeing as there were no cut scenes (except for the single high[er] res graphic at the start of the map). I don't think Bungie would include terminals only to have a handful of people care about them. If they were "super-hidden", then the only people that would care are:

obsessives (must accomplish everything)
gs whores (gamerscore obsessives)
former lone-security officers capable of surviving the fall

I think that them (the terminals) being there will play into story...especially with the level of "AI" interaction (albeit indirect) that started this whole IRIS.

Now with the achievement, I fully expect there to be hidden terminals, quite a few in fact, but the majority will be crucial game elements.
I agree with rewind. I think it'll be the exact same way Marathon was. There are those terminals that are necessary for the continuation of the storyline, then there will be other terminals that are hidden that add backstory but aren't pivotal to the completion of the level in particular. With the whole 'Marathon Man' achievement thingy, I think that this point is made pretty clear. There's no reason to recieve an award for getting 'all' the terminals if you don't even know of their existence otherwise (ie- if all of them were hidden, would the average Joe Gameplayer even know they were there?).

As I said before, I think anyone interested in how the terminals work should go to http://marathon.bungie.org/story; Hamish spent too much time putting all of that together just to have it ignored by all the Halo noobs (if you didn't know what Bungie was before Halo, consider yourself a noob!).
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

I posted this image last night in the MB05032 thread (sorry to cross-post)

I'll just link to it, rather than put the whole huge gul durn thing in this post though...

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9821 ... 032uc6.jpg