August 17th 2007, a Recap of Server 5's opening

The home for threads that have been locked and don't fit into any other archive category.

Moderator: Moderators

Kashaku
Data [Conditional]

August 17th 2007, a Recap of Server 5's opening

Unread post by Kashaku »

Because I've seen this posted several dozen times...I thought it should be in one readily accessible place.
Quote:
HERE IS A SUMMARY OF TONIGHT'S EVENTS IN #HALO

*Siege88 goes to the NY location, but finds nothing (Coords are later updated and he apparant had bad coords)
*eccramer goes to the seattle location and sees what is now the server 5 video playing on a projector, but with the server 5 BPC key url on it
*eccramer calls Giga, he gets him and eccramer keys and then posts the url in #halo
*Key mania
*The end
Source:Wikibruce
* Just after 9pm PDT, according to the times listed on the artifact location page, GPS coordinates appeared beside each city. People in the area then headed to the locations to find something.
* An hour later, the Los Angeles coordinates were 'corrected'.
* At 10:11 PDT, eccramer of UF discovered a projector playing a video on the wall at the Seattle location. Within this video was a web address to the Server 5 Bounce Path Control page. He reported it to Gigawatts of UF on IRC, and all 100 keys were then claimed within minutes.
* By 10:23pm PDT, 100 keys had been entered and Server 05 was unlocked (though once again, not without technical difficulty).
* At 10:30pm PDT, the New York coordinates were also 'corrected'.
* The time it took from discovering the Bounce Path Control page (first key entered) to the 100 keys being entered took about 20 minutes - however, the first 5 keys spanned 19 minutes, at which point the BPC page link was posted, and within under 2 minutes, the rest had been claimed.
* Everything about Server 05 was then actively pored over by the community.
Other Notes:

*The rumor about one guy single handedly getting 96% of the keys is invalid, not true, and has been discredited nine different ways to Thursday. The only thing that guy ended up doing is pissing off over probably over 1000 people simultaneously.
*The mp3 from the BPC hints towards things "being clear tomorrow." Whether this has literal meaning or not is still unknown.
*It would appear to at least me and others that accessing server 5 from halo3.com isn't possible (it showing the status "Unlocked" followed by HTT, which would appear, as I and others speculate, to be the beginning of a url.) I believe that the halo3 server 5 link is simply broken. Here's a direct link: http://206.16.223.61/X84xE2/flash/web/index.html

Anyway, just wanted to keep things organized, avoid having a bunch of people either saying the same thing multiple times, or having the same "what happened" questions floating around...Feel free to add anything I've missed.
Last edited by Kashaku on Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sharpsniper99
Facilitator [Conditional]

Re: August 17th 2007, a Recap of Server 5's opening

Unread post by sharpsniper99 »

i was just wondering if anyone recorded the video at those locations, i would love to see it
Matriculate
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Matriculate »

The server is still not available to me. It says "Unlocked, HTT" The last T looks to be cut in half down the vertical center. I've tried refreshing, switching to an IE render, and opening it in IE. All the same.
Kashaku
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kashaku »

Matriculate wrote:The server is still not available to me. It says "Unlocked, HTT" The last T looks to be cut in half down the vertical center. I've tried refreshing, switching to an IE render, and opening it in IE. All the same.
Interesting...I could get on last night (which is surprising with the number of people probably trying to get in at the same time) But now I have the same error as you do...It's not a cache issue because It's the first time I'm looking at it from my location (I'm at work now)....Any ideas? Reasons? Anyone else with this issue? and should it be added to the recap?
wargamer_17
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by wargamer_17 »

Well, i see that too when i go to halo3.com and try to click on it. As for the HTT, that is just the link to the server "HTTP://....." but i can't remember what it was, i know the BPC was "http://206.223.16.61/?????" something in the ??, then it redirects, and i was on the server earlier, but i can't remember the link, can anyone link us?
the new one
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by the new one »

wargamer_17
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by wargamer_17 »

Yes,that one since it isn't linking from halo3.com. Thanks, even though i've already been to it.
Kashaku
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kashaku »

Ok I've updated the notes