sample1000101.txt

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

bumontheroad
Data [Authenticated]

Re: sample1000101.txt

Unread post by bumontheroad »

to be fair, the flood aren't as versatile a lifeform as humans, being parasites. At least we have independence in reproduction.

i do disagree with the idea of silicon based life, but if it's in the halo novels, it's halo canon.
beelzebub
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by beelzebub »

bumontheroad wrote:to be fair, the flood aren't as versatile a lifeform as humans, being parasites. At least we have independence in reproduction.

i do disagree with the idea of silicon based life, but if it's in the halo novels, it's halo canon.
As a parasite, the flood is incredibly versatile. It can infect and control an incredibly diverse set of lifeforms - humans, elites, grunts, maybe Brutes, in Halo 3. By comparison, humans can barely manage to eat a small subset of the things on earth without falling sick and dying. The flood may be a parasite, but it is not your ordinary parasite. We're dependent in our reproduction on other humans. The flood can make use of practically any living thing at all.
bumontheroad
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by bumontheroad »

tapeworms can also infect a variety of lifeforms, but that doesn't make them versatile, only a parasite
Orpheus
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Orpheus »

beelzebub wrote:. Does the Flood have DNA? Seems unlikely...
heresy of course they do, it just might be in a different format than our double helix, but they still got their C's, G's, T's and A's.

and instead shouldn't we compare the DNA we found to something with relevance to the Halo Universe(meaning humans unless you care to harvest some Elite DNA) and we know the DNA is vastly different so why not compare the similarities?
zoned out
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by zoned out »

Orpheus wrote:
beelzebub wrote:. Does the Flood have DNA? Seems unlikely...
heresy of course they do, it just might be in a different format than our double helix, but they still got their C's, G's, T's and A's.

and instead shouldn't we compare the DNA we found to something with relevance to the Halo Universe(meaning humans unless you care to harvest some Elite DNA) and we know the DNA is vastly different so why not compare the similarities?
Good point. Maybe the differences between out mtDNA and the DNA we got will spell out a clue or something. Seems like a good connection.
sassafras
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sassafras »

Ok, it's not that likely that any other species in the universe (flood, covenant, etc) that is not from Earth has DNA. It's as much chance as those specific molecules polymerized to form the code that makes up our genome as anything else. Any other of the variable biological molecular polymers (not to mention many others) could have also somehow been the precursor to life.

Granted, current evidence suggests that RNA makes the best genetic information (even moreso than DNA) because, single stranded, it is unstable and tends to catalyze the polymerization of other molecules, including itself (self-replication = potential for 'life' ). I won't go into too much detail, being as how this is what my lab studies and I probably would bore everyone to sleep if I did, but suffice to say that it is probably a greater possibility that DNA happened to be genetic information than most others. Anyway, that aside, DNA as the genetic code is still RANDOM CHANCE even if slightly more likely than some alternatives.

If you want to go off the deep-end and say that the Forerunners had DNA and therefore all species they created would have the same universal Central Dogma (DNA -> RNA -> Protein) then fine. But I still think it's doubtful that the Flood have DNA because, as server four just elucidated, the Flood are extra-galactic in origin. Think about it, the odds that a species from an entirely different galaxy would have the same central dogma are... astronomically small (pardon the pun).
Ceantari
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ceantari »

Question:
Found in sample1000101.txt...
{additional CM analysis unnecessary}
Do you think that the "CM" is referring to the "Conservation Measure" mentioned in the Log4_Transcript.txt?
sassafras
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by sassafras »

I think in the context of the DNA we've been presented, it refers to CentiMorgan analysis... That is a study two gene's likelihood to recombine at meiosis when they were initially linked. It can roughly be equated to distance along the chromosome, with a higher cM being a larger distance between two genes (this number in base pairs is vastly different among species though. So a cM does not = a certain # of base pairs).

It could be significant if this DNA strand were from the eukaryotic nuclear chromosome, but as it appears to be an example of mtDNA, it would be and irrelevant analysis.
Hyncharas
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Hyncharas »

I haven't been as early into this thread as I hoped; unlike most I don't have the time to be on forums such as this 24hrs a day!
nicrotross wrote:What if the ark, in a crazy theory, was also a massive DNA library, where the forerunners kept information about every species and creature in existence so that worlds could be re-inhabited after the halos release total hell. Kind of like a Titan AE idea.
I've been posting the idea that the Ark is some kind of Noah's Ark on the official forums, long before the ARG even began (since the Announcement Trailer, actually). The Libraries are different, in that they contain knowledge that the Forerunners have accumulated about their travels and the Fortress-Worlds they created.

But I digress.

I agree with Squirrel's earlier analysis of the Server 04 Transmissions, though I think there is more to it than that. I'm not disputing that the Forerunners are our ancestors (or simply a species indigenous to Earth that predated ours), but there have been some things about characters in the story that seperate us from them. One of these is the condition that Sgt Johnson has; the thing where his and the DNA of some others are IMMUNE to Flood-infection. This might indicate humans are worth saving not just because of their uniquie physiology to combat the Flood, but also because of how far we have come (in terms of Halo's timeline) to better ourselves as a species.

Evidence of this among the Elites also exists in a small way as well, despite the illusions the Prophets perpetuated in their beliefs -- you have to remember that even though humans are mostly composed of mammalian DNA, much of the Covenant are some form of reptilian and we also carry reptile nucleotides in our genetic material. It is possible that the Elites and some of the other races in the Covenant are also related to the Forerunners...

Besides, we've never even seen a living Forerunner, have we?
IrisCorven
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by IrisCorven »

Before I ask, since this is me being... Totally ridiculously... "Could this POSSIBLY be related", type of thing... I'm fresh out of High School. So I barely understand much of what's being said, only by researching as I go along...

But, since a lot of what has been said has included the "Chinese Alligator" thing...

And someone else mentioned applying things to the Halo 'verse...

Is there any chance a Chinese Alligator may show any sort of brain activity that mirrors the effects of "Boren's Syndrome"?... That's stupid, I know... But I figured i'd atleast attempt to bring it up. Cause maybe there could be something about neutralization of the Flood that doesn't require mass genocide?

This is all theory, of course...