A Monument to All of Our Sins

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

halosavior
Data [Conditional]

Re: A Monument to All of Our Sins

Unread post by halosavior »

I like your theory, but there are a few flaws.
Recently in the Episode Four Server it states the following:
"The Conservation Measure is the only sweet note in this discordant symphony we've arranged.

{/It's the only constructive activity in decades of destruction/}

{/Researching the adversary as we protect the worthy/}

We know that the Flood's biology is alien enough that it must be extragalactic in origin.

But where did it come from?

{/And why did it come here?/}
Notice the parts where it says "Researching the adversary as we protect the worthy." That could count towards you, but that just means the forerunners themselves are being God by choosing who should live.

But then you have, "We know that the Flood's Biology is alien enough that it must be extragalactic in origin." This means they found (or stumbled upon) the Flood. This clearly shows they did not in fact create the Flood. Unless of course a few created it in flood, but how could a few Forerunner create something the others could not completely recognize?

And to add to that last paragraph, "But where did it come from?"

Aside from that I recall a friend telling me something about the planet Onyx in the Ghosts of Onyx book. I believe the planet was a type of bomb shelter from whatever the Halo's did to kill all sentient life. So if you are implying the Ark is the Ark from Noah's Ark, then what does that make Planet Onyx, an Ark of an Ark?

Lastly I don't know where this would go, but in "Halo: Combat Evolved" 343 Guilty Spark asks the Master Chief, "Why would you hesitate to do something you've already done before?" He asks this in the "Two Betrayals" level cut scene when Cortana and 343 Guilty Spark start arguing about whether or not the Master Chief should activate Halo Installation 07.

I guess in a sense this proves your Forerunner=Man theory and the cloning thing.

On a personal note I would like to say that I'm a religious person and I love how Bungie ties in the Bible and a lot of other elements into their story. I just thought I would point these out in perhaps an attempt to further refine it?
Last edited by halosavior on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Very nice points, HS.

The latest from Server 4 definitely puts to rest my long-standing theory that the Forerunners somehow created the Flood.

Back to the drawing board... ;)
halosavior
Data [Conditional]

Frogwart wrote:Very nice points, HS.

The latest from Server 4 definitely puts to rest my long-standing theory that the Forerunners somehow created the Flood.

We could always go with God creating the Flood. I mean God really didn't have to create mosquitoes just like He didn't have to create the Flood. In the end He still did. Man I hate mosquitoes.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Frogwart wrote:The latest from Server 4 definitely puts to rest my long-standing theory that the Forerunners somehow created the Flood.

Indeed; I'm almost sad to see that idea go. It fit so well.

All I can think of now is that the Forerunner somehow either alerted the Flood to the existence of our galaxy, or accidentally created the method whereby the Flood arrived here (like discovering slipspace, or maybe experimenting with wormholes or something).

The video on Server 4 makes it sound like they don't know why the Flood showed up, but... what is all this talk of the limits of progress? Why did they (apparently) kill themselves? They obviously did something they regretted. And the Gravemind's self-identification (see thread title) certainly supports that.
XDest
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by XDest »

Simple: They used the flood to make something much.... more.

There were hints to this in the Library in Halo 1. There was strange blue almost liquid-like energy in large portions. Then, in the first Arbiter level of Halo 2, we see the same energy in smaller containers that are obviously, explosive. These are ONLY in research stations, and usually near the Flood.

There are VERY good reasons for the study and containment for the Flood, even if they didn't initially create it.

The only reason I see is some kind of immortality for the race. I believe they succeeded, but the Flood kept evolving itself, and feeding off the Forerunners. Even though they were able to become immortal figures, it didn't even matter because they could still be infected, and the Flood got way too out of hand. They had to activate the Halos and flee completely into their Shield World. But they were too proud and egotistical of their accomplishment. They were able to cheat death and kept the Flood around in containment, hoping their reclaimers would find all this out, leaving many clues behind throughout the galaxy to find it. To reclaim all the lost knowledge the our ancestors left behind for us, when we were ready. They weren't expecting the covenant, and they weren't expecting anyone to mistake their intentions. And thus, the covenant released the flood, THREE TIMES. Therefore to end the Flood threat, the Halos will have to be fired, or we have to figure out another way to stop the damn thing.
halosavior
Data [Conditional]

XDest wrote:Simple: They used the flood to make something much.... more.

There were hints to this in the Library in Halo 1. There was strange blue almost liquid-like energy in large portions. Then, in the first Arbiter level of Halo 2, we see the same energy in smaller containers that are obviously, explosive. These are ONLY in research stations, and usually near the Flood.
Uh I believe it was mentioned that the blue stuff was actually a type of bookcase. You know, to make it a Library. And the Blue stuff in the containers in Halo 2 were actually mentioned as gas from the planet the station was on. I believe the gas was a type of fuel source.

I don't think the Forerunner's tried to become immortal. From all of these clues (servers and such) there's nothing that suggests they tried to use the Flood for their own purposes other to study them and get rid of them.
XDest
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by XDest »

Are you sure about this?

Anyways, they personally kept the flood in containment even after they activated the Halos. There must be a reason to WHY.
halosavior
Data [Conditional]

Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

XDest wrote:Are you sure about this?

Anyways, they personally kept the flood in containment even after they activated the Halos. There must be a reason to WHY.
Remember the Flood genetic memory? They absorb all of the memories of those they infect... So, perhaps the Flood absorbed something VERY important that the Forerunner wanted to preserve?
Ceantari
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ceantari »

Lurono wrote:
XDest wrote:Are you sure about this?

Remember the Flood genetic memory? They absorb all of the memories of those they infect... So, perhaps the Flood absorbed something VERY important that the Forerunner wanted to preserve?

Well, having attacked so many humans and Covenant, (one can assume) by now Gravemind knows the location of Earth and the Covenant homeword...