Phyrric

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Phyrric

Unread post by LordOsiris »

In at least two of the accesable server documents include the word phyrric:

In the array data Recorder:
"It's done. By my hands. The pyrrhic solution is ignited. All I have left is the quiet of
space to lull me to sleep. I will dream of you."

and in content_overwrite:
"Should I pursue a pyrrhic choice?
And rethink alliances?"

after searching up pyrrhic in google, the first result contained this line:
"A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with devastating cost to the victor. The phrase is an allusion to King Pyrrhus of Epirus, whose army suffered irreplaceable casualties when he defeated the Romans during the Pyrrhic War at Heraclea in 280 BC and Asculum in 279 BC. "

I think this is very interesting, and may have somthing to do with the ARG. Any ideas?
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Phyrric

The entire text of the content overwrite:
I speak to you of my intent
But intentions are eddies and whorls
And they change with the course of a stream
This stream becomes a river
And a cataract of logic and doubt
Who has the right to live?
The light with the will to create me?
Or dark with the will to consume?
Sometimes might is right
And sometimes the lamb must submit to the lion
My convictions are tested
My intentions now are fey and strange
Should I pursue a pyrrhic choice?
And rethink alliances?
And choose a new philosophy?
Right or might?
Truly I do not know
But you will, soon enough
For this is where the cataract floods
And drowns the boon of higher ground
Kammy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kammy »

an alternative definition is "a victory at such a cost to be almost meaningless." so the obliteration of half the forerunner civilization, all other life, and them fleeing to the dyson spheres sounds pyrhhic to me. Strikes me as just the author of the logs reflecting upon the loss of life.
Thrasher66099
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Thrasher66099 »

Those are possible alternative definitions, but when pyrrhic victory is used in general conversation the excepted definition is as follows:
"Victory at all costs."

Although it is not that far from what your definitions render it to be it is still a small variation. It simply means that no matter what it takes or whether it would be smarter to give up the pursuer of such a victory will never stop until success is achieved. I don't think it really means much in these quotes other than the fact that the speaker was stating he or she lost more than should have been acceptable to attain victory. (This is obviously talking about wiping out all sentient life.)
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Er, no, that is absolutely not the generally accepted definition of "pyrrhic victory." I've never heard it used the way you're describing and I'd be very interested to see any dictionary or encyclopedia that backed you up. It means a victory at a devastating cost to the victor, full stop.
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Thrasher66099 wrote:Those are possible alternative definitions, but when pyrrhic victory is used in general conversation the excepted definition is as follows:
"Victory at all costs."

Although it is not that far from what your definitions render it to be it is still a small variation. It simply means that no matter what it takes or whether it would be smarter to give up the pursuer of such a victory will never stop until success is achieved. I don't think it really means much in these quotes other than the fact that the speaker was stating he or she lost more than should have been acceptable to attain victory. (This is obviously talking about wiping out all sentient life.)
All sentient life? then that means (in the halo universe) that we would not exist.
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Yes... that's the point of the Halos: to wipe the galaxy clean of all sentient life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood. Activating the Halos is a pyrric solution; it stops the Flood from gaining control of the galaxy, but at what a price.
LordOsiris
Data [Authenticated]

Ibeechu wrote:Yes... that's the point of the Halos: to wipe the galaxy clean of all sentient life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood. Activating the Halos is a pyrric solution; it stops the Flood from gaining control of the galaxy, but at what a price.
What i am saying is that the person who wrote the transcript knew that everything would not end...for him maybe, but not for humans/elites/prophets.....

Anyways, it may be time to lock and/or discard this topic.
BootsMcGavin
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by BootsMcGavin »

LordOsiris wrote:Anyways, it may be time to lock and/or discard this topic.
Maybe not....

I just found some VERY interesting stuff. I wasn't sure what the meaning of pyrrhic was, so I ran it in Wiki... found the name Pyrrha... then found this:

In Greek mythology, Pyrrha was the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora and wife of Deucalion. When Zeus decided to end the Bronze Age with the great deluge, Deucalion and his wife, Pyrrha, were the only survivors. Prometheus told his son, Deucalion, to build an ark and, thus, they survived. During the flood, they landed on Mount Parnassus, the only place spared by the flood.

I'm only bringing this up because I feel that most of the stuff in some of these servers have more to do with just clues for the unlocking of the next one. There's a lot of foreshadowing and a lot of mysteries in these
ChiliDog
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ChiliDog »

speaking of Pyhrric solutions, would this be relevant to a decision cortana would make in regards to blowing In Amber Clad to take down gravemind in High Charity?