The Flood: Natural or Artificial?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Re: The Flood: Natural or Artificial?

Unread post by Lurono »

XDest wrote:Actually, Bungie has said that Threshold was the place that the Forerunner originally found the flood, but I'm betting not in its current form. They were probably testing it like hell, trying to hone the regenerative abilities in hopes of overcoming death. I think the secret to that one lies in Threshold in Halo 2 where you play as the Arbiter against the Heretics and the Flood. The research station itself was a lot different then the one at 343 Guilty Spark and The Library. There was boxes of gas everywhere, and some turned into a blue form of an "energy"-type substance. This is obviously much different then the Flood's usual Green (also seen in different tests later in the level). This same strange blue energy is seen earlier in the Library in Halo 1 in its labs. This type of research is notably missing in Halo 05's library structure. Quite strange. MAYBE - Most of the important parts of the study went on in Installation 04, which would make it much more important then the others rings, which also housed flood. In Halo 05's library structure we see a series of pistons leading up the underground of the Library. In here, you don't see a lot of the same equipment, just a single blue pulse connecting the underground portions. Interesting. As well, in Threshold, when you get near the end of the structure you see a HUGE yellow energy source. There no energy source quite this big in the Halo world. The forerunner must have been creating something that took HUGE amounts of power to create, with the Flood bacterium as the main ingredient for the study. What else but a cure for EVERYTHING would make the Forerunner spend so much time on all these resources?

"As Energetic and Tenacious Life is
It Has an Antithesis that is just as powerful."
Death.
Ah, the Halo 2 DVD comment about meeting the Flood on Threshold again... I like your take on the situation, however. I also found it odd the the heretic grunts wore different methane-tank things. I always thought they looked like they had the gas in them. Perhaps the gas contains flood spores? Or in that case, would the Arbiter be infected? So many ideas!
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

Snapz...well, I guess server 4 cleared all of that up...or most of it. "Extragalactic in origin"
Twigge
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Twigge »

c2h6o wrote:Snapz...well, I guess server 4 cleared all of that up...or most of it. "Extragalactic in origin"
Pretty much. The only thing left in question is whether the Forerunners altered the Flood in any way.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Twigge wrote:
c2h6o wrote:Snapz...well, I guess server 4 cleared all of that up...or most of it. "Extragalactic in origin"
Pretty much. The only thing left in question is whether the Forerunners altered the Flood in any way.
And how the hell did the Flood get here ;)
gone2gofish
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by gone2gofish »

The flood could've evolved to be better parasites of their new hosts. That'd explain how they could change.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Think about how long it would take for the Flood to get to this galaxy from another... Even using slipspace, it would take a while. Perhaps long enough for them to change in some way? If they could survive for 100,000 years on the Halos, then they could survive just as long, if not longer, on a ship in slipspace. I bet they just stole technology from another group in another galaxy, and we probably won't get new details on that conflict seeing as how it isn't completely important to the Halo story line ;)
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

The Flood's "genetic memory" includes that which allows them to create and build combat forms, carrier forms and a Gravemind(s?) form. However, this all starts out with those cute little infection forms. Those are quite portable, and can apparently survive at least 100 millenia of stasis in the Halo installations. So I suppose that wherever or whatever these beings came from they could literally catapult their infection forms in stasis in all directions, to all galaxies in view. Sure, this takes hundreds of thousands or even millions of years, but such an elementally deathlike organism like the Flood could endure all manner of punishment even in the dark confines of space.

Also of note: Marcus Lehto said something about epic landscapes from "battles that occurred 900,000 years ago) in the Halo 2 X03 video. The possibility of that depth of history is interesting now that we know just how far back a Flood-Forerunner relationship could have gone due to the Flood's extragalactic origins.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Echelon Three wrote:The Flood's "genetic memory" includes that which allows them to create and build combat forms, carrier forms and a Gravemind(s?) form. However, this all starts out with those cute little infection forms. Those are quite portable, and can apparently survive at least 100 millenia of stasis in the Halo installations. So I suppose that wherever or whatever these beings came from they could literally catapult their infection forms in stasis in all directions, to all galaxies in view. Sure, this takes hundreds of thousands or even millions of years, but such an elementally deathlike organism like the Flood could endure all manner of punishment even in the dark confines of space.

Also of note: Marcus Lehto said something about epic landscapes from "battles that occurred 900,000 years ago) in the Halo 2 X03 video. The possibility of that depth of history is interesting now that we know just how far back a Flood-Forerunner relationship could have gone due to the Flood's extragalactic origins.
Good points made. Kinda reminds me of a little book called Starhammer that people used to LOVE to reference ;) So, do we know if the Flood can survive in vacuum?
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Lurono wrote:Good points made. Kinda reminds me of a little book called Starhammer that people used to LOVE to reference ;) So, do we know if the Flood can survive in vacuum?
I still need to read that book. As for the Flood in vacuum...

P. 197, GoO:

"The Rapturous Arc moved, wheeled toward the stars, and continued to turn toward the other three destroyers abeam of Halo. it touched one of its brother ships, energy shields shimmered, frequencies matched, and the Flood-infected ship released a swarm of bulbous carrier forms."

I suppose so, though I'm under the impression in this passage that in their swarming behavior this is only for a limited time. Considering the Flood need food to "live", they would need to be in stasis for extended trips. That, or have plenty of hosts to feed off of during the journey. :) :shock:
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Knowing the flood here, does this mean that somewhere off in space is an entire galaxy populated by flood? If so, then it would have been easy to use some ship, point it out into space, do their stasis thing, and wait 'till they get here. Mind you, even if they had a slipspace drife, that is a VERY long way to go.