Keys for Unlocking servers

The home for threads that have been locked and don't fit into any other archive category.

Moderator: Moderators

Injunfett
Data [Authenticated]

Keys for Unlocking servers

Unread post by Injunfett »

I have read the post about people thinking that if you unlocked a server before that you should not unlock another one.

But listen to what I have to say.

The First server unlocked Codes for XBL, A Shirt, and A Copy of the comic from halo 3 there all cool and there all nice to have.

People from Server 2, get the Shirt, A Code for XBL, and a Signed copy of GoO which to me is a better win then the people for server 3 prize wise.

Now when people start to get there rewards from Server 3 I have a feeling there going to have something even more major then what was unlocked in server 2.

There are a couple more servers left And I think the rewards are going to get alot bigger, so I think if you have a chance to get a key code that people should go for it.
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Keys for Unlocking servers

Unread post by Ibeechu »

Injunfett wrote:I have read the post about people thinking that if you unlocked a server before that you should not unlock another one.

The First server unlocked Codes for XBL, A Shirt, and A Copy of the comic from halo 3 there all cool and there all nice to have.

People from Server 2, get the Shirt, A Code for XBL, and a Signed copy of GoO which to me is a better win then the people for server 3 prize wise.

Now when people start to get there rewards from Server 3 I have a feeling there going to have something even more major then what was unlocked in server 2.

There are a couple more servers left And I think the rewards are going to get alot bigger, so I think if you have a chance to get a key code that people should go for it.
The reason we don't want people doing doubles is because there are only 500 prizes available. Say 100 people open server 3, then 25 of those guys open server 4 and other people who hadn't got a prize yet check in seconds later and it isn't available. Meanwhile, the other 25 guys are sitting on stacks of swag while others who would have otherwise gotten it have nothing. If you're in this for IRIS, you shouldn't care about acquiring prizes. Are everyone else assholes? They aren't good enough to get a prize? If they're able to find a key within that short short time window, they are probably following this ARG deeply. But, I guess that isn't good enough for you, because you were there first. Equal opportunity be damned.
Injunfett
Data [Authenticated]

First of all I did not say I was going to take another key so dont call me a prize wanting whore, 1 key is enough for me. But Im not going to hold it against people that have already unlocked 2 servers yes I know a few of them, I actually had a chance to unlock 3 as well as 2 but I didnt even bother, but those that did as a fan im not holding it against them.

I understand your point of giving other people a chance but all people are not like us and see this as basicly what it is a Marketing contest. To me its a game I play and to some its a contest.

What is really equal is not judging people for why they are taking part in the Iris. I do know one thing though If I start seeing goods from this on sale for ebay Im breaking legs.
M3 Rokit
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by M3 Rokit »

Along with what Ibeechu said, it is all about the ARG, and we are here about the ARG. That thread above is just to raise awareness that those of us that are deeply into this ARG, still have yet to get a key, and may not even get a key. It is just out of kindness for your fellow ARG'ers. This isn't about swag, but to move further into the ARG. You do not have to follow the sticky above, but it is out of your will. You can, or you can't, we are just trying to spread the word of kindness.

You sir, are one of the many that are kind. And for that, I thank you.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

While I agree with both of your arguments, there's the side that has been brought up throughout CI and ABO regarding the people who literally are not part of Iris at all. They sit around, watching, waiting, not really reading or caring, download their little Iris Server Monitor, and sit around, watching, waiting, not really reading or caring, and then swooping in as soon as they see another Server go active. Their first post at any forum consists of "I just got a key, and it's my 15000th one! For all of my friends, families, neighbors, and pets. :)"

Do they deserve keys? No. While it's obviously their choice and nothing can be done about it, I can attempt to get "the people" to be fair and kind, sharing with the people who've followed since day one, missing keys by literally 2 seconds or so.

So on a side note, I'd like to request, again, that those who already have obtained a Server Key allow others to do so. Sure, the prizes may get better and more amazing, but you've already received yours. Be content and feel proud and lucky. Thanks.
Ibeechu
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Ibeechu »

I was using the collective "you," not referring to you personally. We certainly can't stop people from doing this, but to a lot of people (particularly those without prizes), it seems sleazy. To others (the ones WITH prizes), it seems fair. This is up to your personal judgment. Do you want to give everyone an equal chance, or do you want to catch 'em all? One thing that I think we can all agree on, though, is to not whore prizes from a specific server. Without naming names, a CI user wound up getting 4 keys from server 3, one for each of his siblings. This is CLEAR douchebaggery.

If this thread turns into a flame-war, the tumblers in it will disarrange and the thread will be locked.
Last edited by DHalo on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed spelling. ;)
Injunfett
Data [Authenticated]

I understand what is being said and dont take me wrong I agree with Not getting another key if you have one. I think if you have one already then you should not try to get another one and let other people have a chance to win one.

I just thought that it should be brought up since the prizes are seeming to change, me I'm going to keep my prize and to me I know I'm one of the lucky few that got a prize and I'm proud of that a fact.

But I know there are going to be others that Are going to go out there and do what other people do and try to get other keys to get more Prizes and to me Thats ok to.

Now a person just getting 4 keys cause they can is wrong very wrong and I dont agree with it.

But like I said before I just thought it should be brought up and talked about.
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

I hear what you're saying, the thing is this is a community effort, no-one is following the whole thing in isolation and so intently as to unlock more than one server. :ugeek: Maybe in that case I could see it, but if you benefit from the community's conversations & attentions and you've gotten a key already you should have some consideration for those who helped you get it, directly or indirectly, and stand back when the next servers open.
KLind
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by KLind »

I feel bad because even though I try every time, it's been such a frenzy to unlock. I feel like people who have unlocked already have a way to remember the experience with whatever prize they've got. If they're that eager to get the server unlocked why not go to the fridge for a second and come back and the server will be unlocked?

I just feel that i've invested a ton of time into this thing, and it would be great if everyone who is in the same position as me would stand a decent chance.
UnrealCh13f
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by UnrealCh13f »

Injunfett wrote:I have read the post about people thinking that if you unlocked a server before that you should not unlock another one.

Ok, this is what i have to say about this...

Yea, people might receive bigger and/or better packages as the number of server unlocks increase, people that received previous packages might be jealous but seriously people, aren't u happy about at least receiving a package in the first place? There are thousands, probably tens of thousands playing this game around the world. And out of those many people playing, only 500 packages get sent out. People has got to think about the other people that needs a chance of having a prize.

Also, there is a certain someone in CI that shall remain nameless has been working to get more than 4 packages, one for himself 3 for his siblings, and possibly more for his friends! Come on people, in this game, people has to play to win not just have a friend to play for you! You have to take the time in this game, figuring out clues, contributing to the community, and work hard if you want to win....

So yea, there are my two cents in this thread...