King Pyrrhus

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

nephilim
Data [Undefined]

King Pyrrhus

Unread post by nephilim »

The following exchange in the server 3 content thread got me wondering...
MulletedOne wrote:
RaveGamer wrote:
MulletedOne wrote:Heh, Ethan Hass has August 1st too, that makes two game ARGs with links to that date...

Anywho, how do the forerunner know human math formulas?
Who says it's solely human math?
Erm, the fact that the formulas were written by humans?
Under the assumption that the servers are ancient (a little over 100k years old), how could the forerunners reference an event from our past, one that happened only 2300 years ago? This is distinctly human.
Kwalitee
Data [Conditional]

Re: King Pyrrhus

Unread post by Kwalitee »

Probably a translation from Forerunner language. It wouldn't necessarily reference our history directly. Who knows, they could have had their own Pyrrhus-type character in their past.

As for formulas, you could say that we rediscovered them.
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

The story of this arg suggests that the human race has been pushed by an advanced race through our history.

So they might well know our history and the math is theres.
atenz
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by atenz »

oh theory.........maybe the covenant hate the humans because the forerunner chose to advance the humans instead of the collectiopn of races that is the covenant, and the covenant use that to fuel there fire to destroy the humans? i dont know just a theory hard to understand im sure, its early.
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Moved to Speculation.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

I'm sure this has been hit on before, but I'll hit it again...

Since "the ark" is on Earth, we can safely make the leap that Earth is the place the last of the Forerunners took their activation tool for the Halos.

343GS says in Halo 2:
"After exhausting every other strategic option, my creators activated the rings. They, and all additional sentient life in three radii of the galactic center, died ...as planned."
That statement, made from 343GS's viewpoint (being on Installation 04 at the time the Halos first fired) tells us he thinks all the Forerunners died "...as planned."

He doesn't necessarily know what happened to them.

Why? Thank the Halo story pages for this one, too (from Halo:CE):
"You can't imagine how exciting this is! To have a record of all of our lost time! Human history, is it? Fascinating."
If 343GS didn't know about human history while he was locked on 04 (only finding out when he accessed the records on The Pillar of Autumn), he obviously had to have assumed the Forerunners died in the activation of the Halos. Without evidence to the contrary, this assumption is warranted, but not necessarily true. 343GS is the equivalent of an untrustworthy narrator (though he doesn't narrate the whole story, of course).

In a very simple way this suggests that the Forerunners are the ancestors of humanity.

Perhaps when we reach the ark in Halo 3 we'll find the last of three brothers, aged and withered, still guarding the ark like it's the cup of Christ... :o

:?
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

nephilim wrote:Under the assumption that the servers are ancient (a little over 100k years old), how could the forerunners reference an event from our past, one that happened only 2300 years ago? This is distinctly human.
i was just thinking about that last night, lol
live faust:die jung
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by live faust:die jung »

Frogwart wrote: Perhaps when we reach the ark in Halo 3 we'll find the last of three brothers, aged and withered, still guarding the ark like it's the cup of Christ... :o
i think you're getting your Indiana Jones movies confused... ;)
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Frogwart wrote:343GS says in Halo 2:
"After exhausting every other strategic option, my creators activated the rings. They, and all additional sentient life in three radii of the galactic center, died ...as planned."
That statement, made from 343GS's viewpoint (being on Installation 04 at the time the Halos first fired) tells us he thinks all the Forerunners died "...as planned."

He doesn't necessarily know what happened to them.

Why? Thank the Halo story pages for this one, too (from Halo:CE):
"You can't imagine how exciting this is! To have a record of all of our lost time! Human history, is it? Fascinating."
If 343GS didn't know about human history while he was locked on 04 (only finding out when he accessed the records on The Pillar of Autumn), he obviously had to have assumed the Forerunners died in the activation of the Halos. Without evidence to the contrary, this assumption is warranted, but not necessarily true. 343GS is the equivalent of an untrustworthy narrator (though he doesn't narrate the whole story, of course).
I don't really see how you get that he only thinks that the Forerunner died. Is there any way you can elaborate a bit? The lost time quote helps a tiny bit, but I can't seem to connect the dots :? 343GS has a great deal of personality for an AI (then again, most Bungie AIs do), but I can't see an AI that is so concerned with protocol ASSUMING something.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Saying a Monitor (Forerunner-made machine) assumes anything is implying it has a human quality. Beyond its apparent personality, perhaps that is an overstatement.

I'm suggesting that 343GS did not have all the information in front of him regarding exactly what happened in every corner of the universe while he was stuck on 04 when the Halos fired.

He therefore could only make calculations based on known facts: the Reclaimer activated the Halos and died, leaving 343 and the Monitors (there's a band name for you)--why wouldn't every Forerunner--along with all sentient life--in the known universe follow suit "...as planned"?
If the calculations he made were missing important elements, which they would be if he's unaware of something happening in the universe involving humanity travelling through space ("Human history, is it?"), why wouldn't he miss calculating that there were no survivors? According to his programmed information from the Forerunners about the Halos, there shouldn't be any survivors. That doesn't mean there weren't.

Sorry if I didn't make clear I was refering to GS's comment about "all sentient life" dying.