Flood from outside galaxy?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Flood from outside galaxy?

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

If a jump's time is calculated in months, then travelling in slipspace must somehow be faster than light (it hurts to say it). However, going at this speed, vastly more time would have elapsed in real space (which obviously hasn't-we're talking a LONG time) as even the closest star system, Proxima Centauri, is 4.3 light-years away. It would seem, then, that slipspace is irrelative to real space.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by scapermoya »

it very much depends on what "slipspace" actually is. depending on the actual shape of the universe, there are several possibilities.

considering, as you say, that it seems as though relativity isn't acting the way it is supposed to, that nothing is actually traveling faster than light, it is possible that "slipspace" is akin to what we think of as "wormholes". suppose that these FTL drives don't actually accelerate ships at all, but rather find a short route to the destination.

imagine the universe as either of the two top shapes:

"normal" spaceflight takes place across the surface of these objects. there are some theories (nearly impossible to test within the foreseeable future, the energies involved would make the LHC look like a small toy) that say that it is possible that wormholes could "tunnel" through these objects, effectively creating a shorter path to your destination. to an observer on the 'surface', it would appear that you have traveled much faster (depending on the path) than you actually have.

then again, the writers may have just ignored relativity because it screws up the story. man, i'd kill to get my hands on the "story bible" they have.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

"normal" spaceflight takes place across the surface of these objects. there are some theories (nearly impossible to test within the foreseeable future, the energies involved would make the LHC look like a small toy) that say that it is possible that wormholes could "tunnel" through these objects, effectively creating a shorter path to your destination. to an observer on the 'surface', it would appear that you have traveled much faster (depending on the path) than you actually have.
That's what I was thinking with the "wrinkle in time"/"starman jones"-esque idea, I guess I could have explained it differently, neither are very well-known books.
c2h6o
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by c2h6o »

If this slipspace is analogous to the "hyperspace" that is in Star Wars, then FTL travel is probably possible because the conventional laws of physics do not apply here. Whereas in a worm hole you take a shorter route on the same "sheet" of spacetime, in slipspace you enter another dimension, where space has shorter distances, a lack of special relativity laws, or a number of other things.

Which reminds me...does anyone know exactly how fast that surviving Forerunner ship is? If I remember correctly its one of the fastest in the galaxy.
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

But its travel in an higher dimension might allow it to fudge with our conventional physics. We we know know may all be wrong, remember people for a while thought that the world was flat. There is so much we don't know like. What created quarks, and what are they or any other subatomic particle.
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

System Failure wrote:There is so much we don't know like. What created quarks, and what are they or any other subatomic particle.
Or if you subscribe to string theory, what made up the strings?

In any case, I think we may be losing our way off topic in here... :D
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

Staten has described slipspace as another plane of existence. Ships use the fujikawa reactors to tear a hole in real space to reach slipspace. The counteraction is the snapping back of real space, like latex.
Ceantari
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ceantari »

Admiral Whitcomb wrote:moe like infected with a parasitic life form that will then use your body to kill or infect your freinds, while it digests you...
Sounds like the description of many sci-fi plagues/virus/infestations: The Flood, T-Virus, Las Plagas, and The Thing. Nasty to be plagued by all at once! lol >.<
LookAtThePost
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by LookAtThePost »

my theory is that the forerunners were always lived in our galaxy.the flood might came by themselves or been brought by the forerunners from another galaxy(for research purposes).when(or before) the flood got out of the control,they found the covenant and earth and preserved them in the state of "trans-dementional flux"(nothing can interact with the stuff inside).so it's like a shield when the flood spreads(too small for the large civilization of the forerunner,so they built the sphere,few might stay on earth and became the forefather of us(that's why the humans r the only ones can active halo)).after the forerunners were gone,the flood left(or died,or hibernated),then the shields were gone.and the rest u know

the ark may also be a shield generator,activated when halos were activated(so we live).

i see some ppl don't quite get how wormhole works.let's say u r in a halo map,the wormhole(slipspace in halo) is like a shortcut but not a teleporter,so it will take time for ppl to travel in slipspace.Note:anything travel in slipspace doesn't have to be faster than light,so no "slowing-down-time(i mean not as much)" things happening.
XF-063
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by XF-063 »

I like the idea of the Forerunner using a wormhole. This would allow the Forerunners to escape from the blast radius of the activated halos, and be safe. This is still all hypothetical though.

Another idea I found was that the halos catologued the various types of life that existed, and when the halos activated, the halo system would reseed the universe.

It is kind of stupid to think that there are only seven halos, though. Not like Bungie. I liked the idea for the end of halo, with a pan out of the universe, showing tons of explosions. It would be the sad, yet suited ending to this halo story line. Total inihalation of the flood.