Flood from outside galaxy?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Flood from outside galaxy?

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

The "samples" (Flood) stored at the "Research Facilities" (halos et al) are there to give whomever came next the one thing the Forerunners lacked: time. A head start.
Could be, but also the flood could have been there for research purposes and the flood managed to overwhelm the halos (coming from elsewhere) , making it impossible to release them. OR maybe the flood put them in stasis to allow them to survive the activation.

And yes, hte covenant released the flood during Halo: CE
Kriss
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kriss »

I got a problem with races or in that case the flood coming from a other galaxy.
Ok i read that in "The fall of reach" (i´m still waiting for my copy :cry: ) is sad that
the time traveling from earth to reach took half a day. While reach was 10 light years
away from earth.
So you could travel 20 ly in one day. (i´m ignoring the fact right now that the covenant
can travel slightly faster than the humans in slipspace and that there is a 5% to 10%
difference in travel-time each time).

If you just want to go from one end to the other end of the galaxy it would take you about
5000 Days! (the galaxy is about 100,000 ly )
The nearest galaxy is Andromeda witch is 2 million ly away. Just to get there would take
you about 273 years.

The Forerunners wanted to starve the Flood to death... the traveling time could have done
that for them :)
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by scapermoya »

yeah, i haven't been sure how to approach the astronomy suggestions in the halo universe. on one hand i don't want to ruin the story by holding the writers to the same standards of an astronomy paper, but on the other hand they cover a LOT of their bases well, so why not all of them?

the distance from here to the center of our galaxy is HUUUUUUGE. but it is nothing compared to the distances BETWEEN galaxies.

the idea of a galactic empire stretches the brain enough, multi-galactic empires (or even just coordinated presences) is verging on silly.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

My guess is that the day of traveling was between slipspace and the planet. I would guess that the time in slipspace is instantaneous, and that the ships simply need to get far enough from planets not to cause damage when they enter slipspace. That's what takes the day.
Kriss
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kriss »

From Halopedia:
Faster-than-light travel is not instantaneous; "short" jumps routinely take up to two months, and "long" jumps can last six months or more, which is why most UNSC ships have cryo chambers.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Slipspace
Baratos
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Baratos »

Kriss wrote: The Forerunners wanted to starve the Flood to death... the traveling time could have done
that for them :)
The Flood survived 100,000 years on the Halos. 270 years would be no time at all.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

uncle_trubble wrote:My guess is that the day of traveling was between slipspace and the planet. I would guess that the time in slipspace is instantaneous, and that the ships simply need to get far enough from planets not to cause damage when they enter slipspace. That's what takes the day.
i don't know what you mean by "time" being "instantaneous", explain.

you seem to have a penchant for taking hypotheticals and turning them into definites...
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

you seem to have a penchant for taking hypotheticals and turning them into definites...
Well what I meant was that no time was spent in slipspace, that it's like a door, but Kriss proved me wrong (kudos to him) with the quote from halopedia. And what I said was purely hypothetical, I knew very little about "slipspace" when I wrote that, it was, as i said, simply a GUESS (which is anything but definite) that slipspace worked in a "Wrinkle in Time"/"Starman Jones"-esque way.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Well what I meant was that no time was spent in slipspace, that it's like a door (sorry, I could have been clearer), but Kriss proved me wrong (kudos to him) with the quote from halopedia. And what I said was purely hypothetical, I knew very little about "slipspace" when I wrote that, it was, as i said, simply a GUESS (which is anything but definite) that slipspace worked in a "Wrinkle in Time"/"Starman Jones"-esque way.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]