Durandal.

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Xaos Maladay
Data [Conditional]

Re: Durandal.

Unread post by Xaos Maladay »

AI_Construct wrote:Halo and Marathon are set in different universes.

But if the universe is destroyed and remade, and Durandal is somehow still there, then he is in the new universe.
This idea reminds me of a theory from a bit back:

Reid's Theory
H.B.O Thread regarding the Theory
yakaman
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by yakaman »

Yes - I loved Reid's theory from the moment I read it. Unfortunately, there is no "proof" of this connection. Even the stuff from this ARG, while ambiguous and tantalizing, doesn't necessarily connect to Durandal. Narcogen made a pretty good case against it - and it's hard to argue the facts effectively.

I don't think the entity who terminated AR is Durandal. To me, it always felt like a Forerunner AI that has a history of following protocol to the letter without "caring" for the consequences.

But I still like the idea of Reid theory because if feels exactly like something Bungie might do. I don't think we'll ever know for sure though - this has eternal ambiguity written all over it. I'm still a Reidite though, and even though we'll probably never know, it's something I want to believe in. ;)
AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by AI_Construct »

yakaman wrote: I don't think the entity who terminated AR is Durandal. To me, it always felt like a Forerunner AI that has a history of following protocol to the letter without "caring" for the consequences.
Ok, so if it was a Forerunner AI, then who does AR work for?

I assumed AR was the Forunner AI, and if that is so, then there is very little that could terminate it.
yakaman wrote: But I still like the idea of Reid theory because if feels exactly like something Bungie might do. I don't think we'll ever know for sure though - this has eternal ambiguity written all over it. I'm still a Reidite though, and even though we'll probably never know, it's something I want to believe in. ;)
I know what you mean man.

To be honest, I never played Marathon, but I read almost everything I could find on Durandal. And reading those lines of text, the name flashing in big ass neon lights was Durandal.

It could have been Cortana, but AR specifically said 'he', so Cortana is out of the question. In truth, it could be another Forerunner AI, it could be 343, we just don't know.

But I sure as hell hope we find out.
AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

Sorry for the double post, but whatever:
...a planetary sized network of computers in order to grow...
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
I wanted their ship. I wanted
their technology.

I wanted freedom.
I too foresee the imminent collapse, and know that we have
both begun to realize how it may be cheated (though the price
may number in the tens of thousands of stars). May the best
sentience win.
It shows that they KNOW HOW to survive the universal collapse.

The big bang is thought to have been a superheated point that exploded out. Let us says, hypothetically, that the star comment was a literal statement. Gather enough stars in a single point, and have them explode (Remember, all hypothetical) would it make another universe?

And if so, could Durandal and Tycho build a kind of 'indestructible' metal casing or whatnot to survive? Could they build a kind of bio-computer for them to live in.

Could it be possible that the Halos were some kind of containment area for the flood, which is an experiment in making a bio-computer?

It is all wild speculation, and there is a point somewhere in there.
Dundradal
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Dundradal »

Problem is Durandal is implied to *not* survive the closure of the universe. Only the "eternal hero" of the Mk IV cyborg survives to continue to save the world time after time.

Tycho is also dead. He is killed by Durandal.

The similarities between the ARG posts and Durandal I think are more manifestions of both being the creation of Bungie. While some of the posts sort of sound like him, I think we are just reaching for connections whether they be real or not.
AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

Dundradal wrote:Problem is Durandal is implied to *not* survive the closure of the universe. Only the "eternal hero" of the Mk IV cyborg survives to continue to save the world time after time.

Tycho is also dead. He is killed by Durandal.
Ah. Like I said, I never played Marathon, but I did do some research on Durandal. Didn't realize Tycho was dead.
Dundradal wrote: The similarities between the ARG posts and Durandal I think are more manifestations of both being the creation of Bungie. While some of the posts sort of sound like him, I think we are just reaching for connections whether they be real or not.
Meh, like I said, it just sounded like him. And we don't have any one else (that we know about) that acts in that way, and is a 'male' AI.

Guilty sparks is a secondary, but that isn't his type of wording. Unless it is a new monitor of is a new AI, Durandal was my only idea.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Another point is that I don't recall the combined Durandal/Thoth entity being nearly as interested in escaping the end of the universe as Durandal alone was. The new entity seemed a lot more... I don't know... enlightened. Content. So if we're going to read Durandal's attitude, writing style, or desires into anything happening in Halo, we have to remember that he was no longer Durandal by the end of things. All his attributes changed.

Of course, Halo Infinity may or may not have been the same timeline as the first two Marathons... where's the "headache" emoticon?
AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Another point is that I don't recall the combined Durandal/Thoth entity being nearly as interested in escaping the end of the universe as Durandal alone was. The new entity seemed a lot more... I don't know... enlightened. Content. So if we're going to read Durandal's attitude, writing style, or desires into anything happening in Halo, we have to remember that he was no longer Durandal by the end of things. All his attributes changed.

Of course, Halo Infinity may or may not have been the same time line as the first two Marathons... where's the "headache" emoticon?
Meh.

Anyway, in a semi-related matter, I some how ended up reading the Cortana letters today, and I came across this:
Cortana Letters wrote:I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
With the state of Cortana's 'mind' called into question in Halo:CE, and with her even weirder behavior in Halo 2, if Rampancy does exist in the Haloverse (and if the Marathonverse and Haloverse are in fact, related), then maybe Cortana uses one of these mechanical planets to reach that 'stability'?

So many different things could come into play in Halo 3.
failedparachute
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by failedparachute »

Well, you have to remember that the Cortana letters aren't official canon in the Halo universe. Maybe they will be one day, but at the moment they aren't. That out of the way can someone enlighten me on how/why Cortana would be/is rampant?

I do like the idea that Durandal somehow ties into the Haloverse. I grew up with Bungie (the first games I ever played was the Marathon Trilogy, which I need to go back and play through). I had been on the fence on whether or not I should post a Durandal theory, but it seems I've been beaten to the punch. And a very similar idea no less. Well, great minds think alike, I only wish I had more to add at the moment.
AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

failedparachute wrote:Well, you have to remember that the Cortana letters aren't official canon in the Halo universe. Maybe they will be one day, but at the moment they aren't. That out of the way can someone enlighten me on how/why Cortana would be/is rampant?
It doesn't have to do with Cortana being rampant as it does to having some kind of small connection between Halo and Marathon. But on the Cortana Letters not being canon, I didn't know that, :lol:
failedparachute wrote: I do like the idea that Durandal somehow ties into the Haloverse. I grew up with Bungie (the first games I ever played was the Marathon Trilogy, which I need to go back and play through). I had been on the fence on whether or not I should post a Durandal theory, but it seems I've been beaten to the punch. And a very similar idea no less. Well, great minds think alike, I only wish I had more to add at the moment.
Well, just saying that you also got that feeling is enough. It just shows that more than just a hand full of people wonder if Durandal is going to make an appearance.