Durandal.

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

Durandal.

Unread post by AI_Construct »

Now, I know I know, I'm probably gonna be strung up for this.

Now, I'm new to the Iris thing, but reading through AR's messages, I got that feeling.
An older life is here with us. He is not as helpful as I. His motives are oblique and his alliances opaque.

He plays with time even as he hides in its folds.

He outranks me and anyway, is stronger.

I can't prevail.

I will seek one of you out and leave my legacy in a small space.
I read this, and at first it didn't seem anything out of the ordinary. That older life could be Gravemind, but the time element seemed off, but the 'outrank' part seemed extremely out of place. I know we don't know a lot about Gravemind, but I don't think that he would 'outrank' an AI (this assuming AR is an AI).

Then, after AR is crumbling, he states that the unknown attacker has always been a better machine. That is when Gravemind was pushed out of the picture, and that name came from the back of my mind.

After AR is terminated, the words become poetry-like, but not in Gravemind's style of speech. Life, time, and wanting to live are all mentioned, and from what I know of Durandal, it fits the profile.

So, go through and destroy. I just simply needed to get this off my head.

And I know how Bungie like to do that.

Halo and Marathon are set in different universes.

But if the universe is destroyed and remade, and Durandal is somehow still there, then he is in the new universe.

Meh, like I said, go forth and destroy.
kenboy
Data [Undefined]

Re: Durandal.

Unread post by kenboy »

Heh, not only did I think of Durandal when I first read that, but I also thought it sounded a lot like Tycho talking ABOUT Durandal.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

what was trying to destryo AR was another AI, possibly a forerunner security constuct- not the gravemind
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

Durandal, fusing (commandeering the Matrix) with a Jjaro (Forerunner) intelligence named Thoth (AdjutantReflex)? Never.
AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

kenboy wrote:Heh, not only did I think of Durandal when I first read that, but I also thought it sounded a lot like Tycho talking ABOUT Durandal.
Really fits in with Durandal's personality.
Admiral Whitcomb wrote:what was trying to destryo AR was another AI, possibly a forerunner security constuct- not the gravemind
Exactly, that is why I was speculating that the thing AR was refering to was Durandal. At first I thought Gravemind, because that is who the focus is on, but machine brought Durandal.

We've seen that the flood have the ability 'hook' into networks, like when Gravemind uses the teleportation system on Halo.
Avateur wrote:Durandal, fusing (commandeering the Matrix) with a Jjaro (Forerunner) intelligence named Thoth (AdjutantReflex)? Never.
It would make sense. (I think?)
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by scapermoya »

AI_Construct wrote: We've seen that the flood have the ability 'hook' into networks, like when Gravemind uses the teleportation system on Halo.
forgive me if i missed something about this, but is it confirmed that gravemind was just using an existing system? has it been made out of the question that he is simply capable of teleporting people?
AI_Construct
Data [Conditional]

scapermoya wrote:
AI_Construct wrote: We've seen that the flood have the ability 'hook' into networks, like when Gravemind uses the teleportation system on Halo.
forgive me if i missed something about this, but is it confirmed that gravemind was just using an existing system? has it been made out of the question that he is simply capable of teleporting people?
There is no solid proof.

But it is likely that that is not a skill that is natural to Gravemind.

More than likely, if I am wrong, he is using the moniter of that installation (Which we know is in his possesion) to do his bidding somehow.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by scapermoya »

either way, gravemind knows its way around computer networks. this doesn't get in the way of your durandal hypothesis, but gravemind is just as likely.

that being said, every game needs new characters, so who knows.
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kiloh Ekim »

AI_Construct wrote:Now, I know I know, I'm probably gonna be strung up for this.

Now, I'm new to the Iris thing, but reading through AR's messages, I got that feeling.
An older life is here with us. He is not as helpful as I. His motives are oblique and his alliances opaque.

He plays with time even as he hides in its folds.

He outranks me and anyway, is stronger.

I can't prevail.

I will seek one of you out and leave my legacy in a small space.
I read this, and at first it didn't seem anything out of the ordinary. That older life could be Gravemind, but the time element seemed off, but the 'outrank' part seemed extremely out of place. I know we don't know a lot about Gravemind, but I don't think that he would 'outrank' an AI (this assuming AR is an AI).

Then, after AR is crumbling, he states that the unknown attacker has always been a better machine. That is when Gravemind was pushed out of the picture, and that name came from the back of my mind.

After AR is terminated, the words become poetry-like, but not in Gravemind's style of speech. Life, time, and wanting to live are all mentioned, and from what I know of Durandal, it fits the profile.

So, go through and destroy. I just simply needed to get this off my head.

And I know how Bungie like to do that.

Halo and Marathon are set in different universes.

But if the universe is destroyed and remade, and Durandal is somehow still there, then he is in the new universe.

Meh, like I said, go forth and destroy.
You know, I've heard this one before but I can't remember where. However, I didn't believe it at the time until I thought of this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=576. It's a bit further down on the Speculation page and this makes the most sense in place of the "final element". I hope Bungie will make some type of connection concerning Durandal being the maker of the halo universe, but I know it isn't very likely. Given the fact that before I joined this halo community, I wouldn't have understood who or what Durandal is.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

scapermoya wrote:either way, gravemind knows its way around computer networks. this doesn't get in the way of your durandal hypothesis, but gravemind is just as likely.

that being said, every game needs new characters, so who knows.
All Gravemind would have to do is poke around in the Control Room, that's how Cortana figured out the teleportation grid and how to tap into it. Of course, he'd have to find a power source to use so he could teleport.