New Lunar Cycle

Discussion of anything and everything that happens within the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Re: New Lunar Cycle

Unread post by Dalthanas »

No. First, the site is in game, so if we have a gamer tag, they already have our e-mails. Second, a 550 relaying error means the message was bounced back. The smtp server is not configured to receive mail properly. This is been discussed quite extensively. The purpose of this thread was to point out what I believe to actually be the beginning of the new lunar cycle, but I fear it's been hijacked. The e-mail does not work, and if it does it won't be until after the 14th I would guess when, according to the hidden pdf, they begin application reviews. But even that is far off speculation, and this thread should probably have been started there. Sorry mods.
beelzebub
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by beelzebub »

Just to clarify what's happening:

The Domain Name System has several categories of specification for resolving domain names (such as societyoftheancients.com). One of these is the MX record, which specifies how mail should be routed for that domain name. I'm not sure how you can do DNS lookups on windows, but you can read a pretty comprehensive report here:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport ... cients.com

You'll note that the MX record points to custmx.register.com, which I am guessing (I have never used register.com) is a dummy record that serves as a placeholder until you get your own mail hosting set up. Until that changes, none of the email sent to *@societyoftheancients.com will work. You can use that query link to check to see if the domain is actually configured to route mail properly.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

Dalthanas wrote:I remember seeing in previous posts people saying that the new lunar cycle (referencedto in the hidden pdf on the SOTA page) was at the beginning of the month. According to http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.html#y2007, however, the new moon, and begining of the next cycle, is on July 14 this year. Is it possible something else might open then? Or am I confused about the dates, and the new moon isn't in fact the beginning of a new lunar cycle?
Holy bajeezus... Dal, youlittlesmartyguyyou... you made me think of something, and I started digging and playing and 'chopping and this is what I came up with (today is still the 9th for me, but it is the 10th in whatever TZ this is hosted):
Phases of the moon, glyphs and events possibly correlated!
Phases of the moon, glyphs and events possibly correlated!
MoonCalendar_Glyphs_Events copy.jpg (453.22 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
The events seem to correlate with the glyphs and the moon cycles. The hard part about it is that we only have 3 real distinct glyphs to play around with -- OAR's avatar, Server 05 and the one on the StarImage1. But now we can start to line up key events with glyphs, dates and the lunar cycle to see if anything else matches and possibly be able to predict events/revelations.

Example: the FCC posts went up on July 5th, though we didn't notice them until the 6th. The Lunar Calendar shows that on 6/05/07, the moon is waning, which, when this happens, the moon is at about the 4:30 position (using a clock) in regards to Earth. This also matches with one of the legs of the glyph, the third one (assuming that the 12 o'clock position is 1).

@ Dal -- to answer your first question, the new moon could happen at any of the dates shown above: June 14, July 14, Aug 12, Sept 11.

Another funny thing I noticed is that on 6/14 (a New Moon) is when OAR posed the two questions:
AdjutantReflex wrote: Who is the path of light from blackest Earth to brilliant heaven?
On whose golden wings will we fly from here to there?
We know the answer to the second question is Iris, but I think we assumed that these questions go together, "Iris" being a collective answer. What if they were two questions, and the answer to the first one is "The Moon", and OAR was directing us to his calendar? It makes sense.

If anyone sees anymore date/glyph/lunar correlations, please post them!

EDIT: June 29 is when we get the Veins of Ice and Poison post from NAR, which is also a Full Moon.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Maybe the scrapped Halo 2 moon level is in Halo 3? And we have to travel to the moon?
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Dude...I think you may be on to something. Great find, we should keep considering it as this all continues.
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

I REALLY like where you're going with this. I don't know if its useful yet, but the correlation between the glyphs and moon phases is terrific work. I did a google search for the "The Antikythere Mechanism" (actually spelt Antikythera) from the SOTA site. That's the big green thing that looks like a glyph. Anyway, I found this interesting.
On 30 November 2006, the science journal Nature published a new reconstruction of the mechanism based on the high resolution X-ray tomography described above. [35] This work doubled the amount of readable text, corrected prior transcriptions, and provided a new translation. The new discoveries confirm that the mechanism is an astronomical computer or orrery used to predict the positions of heavenly bodies in the sky. This work proposes that the mechanism possessed 37 gears, of which 30 survive, and was used for prediction of the position of the sun, moon, and probably planets.

On the front face were graduations for the solar cycle and the zodiac together with pointers that indicated the position of the sun and the moon, and the lunar phase. Based on the inscriptions, which mention the stationary points of the planets, the authors speculate that planetary motions may also have been indicated here.
If your hypothesis is correct, and the glyphs correspond with phases of the moon, then what we may actually be looking at is an ancient glyph, decayed over time into what it looks like now. As I side, I'm not sure what this means yet, except perhaps to give us some insite into this ARGs creation process, but I think it may be more important than that down the road. In short, I think this lends a lot of credibility to your hypothesis.
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

I have more to add to this, but I am waiting on this Server #2 thing to play out before I bust out the Poto-chop. <--intentional spelling mistake

EDIT: I WAS RIGHT!!! WE CAN PREDICT THE SERVER OPENINGS!!!!!!!!!!!! New Thread to follow!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)