ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

I wasn't going to include this...

Unread post by ISitInA »

To: Cpt********.1465.UNSC.THESEUS
Origin: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Received:
Sent: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 1, MPPRMSE 43 Mb
Subject: I wasn't going to include this...

Captain,

I went back and forth for a long time on this. I decided against it when I sent the last one, but then I realized that... Well. You'll see.

Chair

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Below is the unencrypted message.
Did she succeed? Is she still working on it? Or are dust and echoes all that remain?
MPPRMSE wrote: Myung: (COLDLY) I know, in time, you'll pull this out of his data. In time, you'll hear me telling you this.
(PAUSE, 2.3 SECONDS)
Myung: (EVENLY) What you did to him, all of them, was wrong. You took all those men and women, and destroyed their lives forever. You made them meat. Even if they weren't starting to drop like flies, you destroyed everything that made them who they were so you could make them who you needed.
(PAUSE, 4.3 SECONDS)
Myung: (ANGRILY) I've seen the holes you put in their brains! The physical holes! I've seen how you tried to take away every shred of everything that makes them human! I've seen how you tried to make them machines!
(PAUSE, 6.1 SECONDS)
Myung: (EVENLY) But that's where you failed. Everything you did to take away their humanity, and you still failed. You tried to destroy their ability to love, and you failed. I watched him fall in love. You tried to take away their privacy, but you failed there, too. First you never found 23 Zulu, then you gave them their armor. Their new skin. You tried to strip them of any political beliefs that didn't fit your narrow plan, and you couldn't even do that. You tried to take away their sense of wonder, compassion... You tried to strip them of so much, and yet somehow, they found a way to retain shreds of it.
Myung: (ANGRILY) If I were to show everybody what you've done, it would tear the UNSC apart! There would be no insurrection, because there would be nobody to support you!
(PAUSE, 9.7 SECONDS)
Myung: (SADLY) But he wouldn't like that. And not in spite of what you did to him, but because of it, he's everything that is human. His spirit remains, even as I'm watching him die. His courage, his will, his determination... And his love of life. I've heard when he worked for suicide prevention, before you recruited him. And people would die if I revealed everything. And he would die thinking that maybe there was something that he could have done to prevent it. He'll always fight for humanity's well being.
(PAUSE, 2.3 SECONDS)
Myung: (SAD LAUGHTER) I always thought that he wasn't good at communicating his thoughts. But now I understand. He communicates them just fine. He just lives in a world that I pray I hope nobody ever sees again.
Myung: (COLDLY) So I'm going to save him. I don't know how. But I'm going to keep him from being a martyr for humanity. I'm going to help him accomplish his goals. His mission. And then I'm going to save him. From death... (PAUSE, 1.3 SECONDS) And from you.
Myung: (VENOMOUSLY) I could say more about you, but I won't. You'll just file everything away as being within acceptable parameters or a documented issue or something. To think you're more monstrous than the weapons you turned them into.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Re: I wasn't going to include this...

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Hive, Encrypt this with the old key:

She succeeded alright. And now people on my ship are getting hurt. Help me.

Attach the pictures from the LOX tanks.
ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

I just thought you should know

Unread post by ISitInA »

Received:
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 0
Subject: I just thought you should know

Captain,

I sent the image of the etching on the helmet that you sent me to a colleague. I just got the reply that said, in essence, that it's been seen in close relation to areas where there were Covenant activities. I also got grilled on how I came across it, and asked if there were any symbols inside the circles.

I just wanted to let you know.

Sincerely,

Chair

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. It utilizes the original encryption set. Below is the unencrypted message.
Please be careful. Watch yourself. Deep breaths. Remember what happens when you stop breathing? Also remember when an Orion is nothing.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Chair,
No symbols in the circles as of yet. If I see anything, I'll keep you updated.

Also, when is an Orion "nothing"?

I don't know why I didn't tell you this before (or maybe I have? So much has been going on, it's hard to keep track) but our comms may have been compromised for quite some time. Almost all of your messages have been sent to me with embedded encrypted data that uses the following encryption keys:
Hive, put the three encryption keys used so far here.

Also, I'd like to add a secondary secure shell for the next part, one that uses an encryption method as far removed from those three as possible.

[spoiler]Chair, All of the transmissions that we've received with these encryption pertained to the content of your messages. We tried to make contact, and for a while did, but had no luck in the end. I have reason to believe these messages may be directed at the Orions, perhaps F484 specifically, and occasionally relate to events on my ship. Based on what you know of the Orions, can you identify or postulate on the speaker?

Hive, attach all the encrypted messages here, along with their time stamps. I know it's a lot, please do it anyway.
I'm sorry for keeping this from you, but people over here are getting hurt, you seem to have more answers than most, and I'm getting nowhere trying to interpret these myself. Any insight would be awesome.[/spoiler]
ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ISitInA »

Received:
Attachments:
Subject:

Captain,

You just don't know when to leave well enough alone, do you?

Chair
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Navy Regulations Chapter 8 Article 826. "Physical Security"
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/US%20Navy%20Re ... fficer.pdf

1) The commanding officer shall take appropriate action to safeguard personnel, to prevent unauthorized access to installations, equipment, material and documents, and to safeguard them against acts of espionage, sabotage, damage, theft and terrorism.

2) The commanding officer shall take appropriate action to protect and maintain the security of the command against dangers from fire, windstorms, or other acts of nature.

My personnel, installation, equipment, and ship are the victims of sabotage, damage, and terrorism. This is being done by an EM Anomaly; an act of nature until someone hands me proof of otherwise. I have evidence to show that these acts are tied to the messages.

The Regs are clear, and in this case I see asking you, the most knowledgeable in these matters, as an appropriate action.
ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

Just because I do honestly care about you

Unread post by ISitInA »

Note by Hive: I have applied your personal language filter.

Received:
Attachments: 0
Subject: Just because I do honestly care about you

Captain,

Do you really have a problem worrying about the attached messages? Then I'll tell you. I was trying to give you a layer of deniability when I told you I didn't know who sent them. I know BLAM well who attached them to my messages to you.

It was me.

If we get called on our communications, I didn't want to have you suffering the additional flack from knowing that I was also trying to communicate with F484. I was always careful in my tone to try and make it soothing, comforting to him. I was trying to make him harass you less.

Sure, I'm still not 100% positive that it's him, but it seemed to work to a limited extent. At the initial rate of interference by this unknown party, you went a pretty long time without significant problems. I wasn't sure at first if it was you communicating with me, or him, so I had to form a test. A test that you failed, telling me that somebody was decrypting my messages. There was a possibility that it was you, so I changed the encryption methods.

That failed, too.

And now this.

You quoting regs at me. Trying to force me to do things when I've been trying to help you.

If you don't excuse me, I need to vent some steam before I say something that I'll regret.

Chair
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

I feel so, so stupid.

In all honesty, you had me fooled, I'm in the wrong here, I legitimately thought that the person sending the messages was someone else. I was desperate, saw those messages, and assumed that whomever was contacting the Anomaly was 100% successful, and that therefore by making a connection I could open a line of communication and try to negotiate with F484, and whomever else the anomaly is bringing up.

In short, you're an excellent actress. If I get chewed out for this, then I deserve it. If you feel like shouting at me yourself, go ahead, I deserve that too. Keep up the messages if you think they might work.

Surely there's something I can do for you to try to make this up? Any firsthand reports, documents, images, explanations, whatever, ask me and I'll do it.
ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

It could be worse

Unread post by ISitInA »

bzzt! I have applied your personal language filters.

Received:
Attachments: 9 (FRE1, FRE2, FRE3, FRE4, FRE5, FRE6, FRE7, FRE8, FRE9, 87 Mb total)
Subject: It could be worse

Captain,

To be honest with you, you're handling finding out that I'm a professional liar better than my ex did. Let's just say that my relationship didn't last long once I was forced to let him find out that I was a "unofficial HUMINT resource." In fact, it lasted ten hours after he found out, until our lawyer opened shop for the day.

Unsurprisingly, it's part of the reason why I was recruited as a full agent, as odd as it sounds.

We all make mistakes. You're included in that. It's part of what makes us human. The other part is to try and correct those as best we can, and try to forge ahead. That's part of the reason why I'm helping you, to make up for past mistakes. To hope that I can forge ahead.

The part that I'm very apologetic for is that there's not much that you can do to make it up to me; we're already going to have a dinner and coffee. You and your crew are already guaranteed to go through an extensive debriefing when you get back into port. And, yes, I expect you to tell the truth in all of this. Honestly, you've handled this admirably, better than anyone anticipated.

If things don't go as I'm hoping they do, then I'll make all this up to you somehow. I promise you that.

I'll be honest, I'm 98% certain that you're dealing with F484, or what's left of him. But that's still not completely sure. I'm trained to have doubts, to report them, to keep them in mind whenever I act. Including now.

It's so dark in here. It's rather strange to me, to be surrounded by shadows. I know you probably think us spooks are used to shadows, but we're not. ONI buildings are well lit, with pleasing colors. (Never sterile white. Never.) We talk constantly, about friends, family, our lives. Our bases are built overlooking places of beauty, so that it's no more than a two minute walk to look out a window and see it all.

It's all psychological, I know. Trying to keep us from loosing it. We have a reputation. We're all heartless. But at the end of the day, nothing could be further from the truth. We carry the weight of humanity on our shoulders. We take it upon ourselves to make the hard decisions so that others don't have to.

Did you know that for every 20 members of ONI on a base, we must have one psychologist on hand? And even with that, our suicide rate is embarrassing? Sure, it would be easier to become desensitized to it all. But with that desensitization comes a lack of perspective. We try and walk a fine line, desensitized enough to do what we have to, but fresh enough that we keep that perspective that allows original thought.

Do we do sinister things? Yes, on occasion. Anybody who tells you otherwise is a liar, either to you or themselves. But do we do them without good reason? No. We only do them when absolutely necessary.

So for my environment to currently be so sinister is a little odd. It only makes my mood worse, more volatile.

I know this is going to sound horribly cliche, but since I have this here, I might as well. I thought I'd skip sending you these, but I've heard the entire audio log, cleaned up as best we can manage, for over a week now. Fitzgerald and I go through them constantly, trying to gauge, to guess. To determine how bad it all is.

Perhaps you can understand why I hate the dark right now.

Sincerely,

Chair
FRE1 wrote: F484: (DISTRACTED) Let them get closer before popping the hatch, then spank 'em.
Myung: Face full of rocket, coming up.
(PAUSE, 16.4 SECONDS)
F484: The Pelican's running low on ammo and taking damage. Wait for me to put her down before opening.
Myung: Affirmative. I've got waypoints set up, and I'm almost positive that they'll work fine for you.
F484: Roger.
FRE2 wrote: Myung: (WORRIED) Foxtrot? You okay?
F484: (WHEEZING, GAGGING)
Myung: Come on, get up. (PAUSE, 1.4 SECONDS) Get up.
(PAUSE, 5.3 SECONDS)
Myung: (LOUDER) Get up!
Myung: (AUTHORITATIVE) Get! Up!
(PAUSE, 6.1 SECONDS)
F484: (WHEEZING CHANGES, STABILIZES)
F484: (SHAKING VOICE) Yes ma'am. Procee... (DEEP BREATH) Proceeding to the next checkpoint.
FRE3 wrote: F484: Hold. (PAUSE, 4.2 SECONDS) Next chamber has... 25 enemies. We'll have to fight our way through.
(PAUSE, 2.7 SECONDS)
(SOUND OF HELMET BEING REMOVED)
Myung: We'll do it like Ariel. I'll distract them, then- (INTERRUPTED)
F484: (ANGRILY) Get your helmet back on! We never, ever go on missions together, and I am not letting you take one for the team!
F484: (SHAKING VOICE) We're... We're going to get through this together. You and me, alright six-three?
(PAUSE, 0.7 SECONDS)
F484: (COMFORTINGLY) You'n me. We're gonna get through this, Charlie. You and me. Then... Gonna go back to Reach, get debriefed. Maybe sneak into Olympus, visit... Visit 23 Zulu for old time's sake. Just you and me. It'll be just like Christmas, yeah?
(PAUSE, 7.2 SECONDS)
Myung: (HORRIFIED, SAD UNDERTONES) Yeah. Affirmative.
FRE4 wrote: F484: (PANTING, GAGGING)
Myung: (QUICKLY) Come on, they're coming. Now's not the time. Get up!
(PAUSE, 2.1 SECONDS)
Myung: (DESPERATELY) Come on! Get up, soldier! Are you an Orion or do you belong in the rear echelon?
F484: (GROGGILY) I'm an Orion. Orions are the sword of the UNSC. But Orions are nothing without the UNSC. We respect the chain of com-command. We fight, we live, we die, and we kill so that others won't have to. That is what it means to be an Orion.
Myung: Then get up! Move to the next waypoint! Finish your mission!
F484: (MUMBLING) Override Alpha Bravo Golf, four-eight-seven. Spread your wings.
F484: (DEEP BREATH)
(PAUSE, 2.1 SECONDS)
F484: (GRUNTS)
F484: (SHAKING VOICE) Proceeding to the next waypoint.
FRE5 wrote: F484: (PAINED SCREAM)
Myung: (WORRIED) Foxtrot?
F484: (PAINED) Fine. Proceeding with mission objectives.
FRE6 wrote: Myung: (WORRIED) You okay? Doesn't look like it penetrated your armor...
F484: (GROGGY) Override... Kilo Foxtrot Sierra niner-niner-three. Pain is an illusion.
F484: (GAGGING)
F484: Status nominal. Moving to waypoint.
FRE7 wrote: Myung: Are you okay? It... It doesn't look like it got through your armor. I think-
Myung: (FRIGHTENED) Hey, hey, hey! No falling over. Come on, not again. Get up! On your feet soldier!
(PAUSE, 4.1 SECONDS)
Myung: (AUTHORITATIVELY) Foxtrot! Eight-four! Get up! You promised to go to 23 Zulu with me! Don't you dare make me go through another Christmas without you! Get your BLAM together and get on your feet! Are you a liar? Are you going to break your promise to me?
F484: (NEAR-INCOHERENT) Override Oscar Juliet-
Myung: (DESPERATELY) No, stop! No! Don't do that! You only get worse when you do that! You're killing yourself! Please, Foxtrot... Please! Stop!
F484: Romeo Delta, one-niner-six. Orions never die.
Myung: (CONTINUES PLEADING)
F484: Sierra Sierra One Bravo Seven Kilo. Who dares, wins.
F484: (STUTTERING PAINED NOISE)
F484: (GAGGING)
(PAUSE, 6.1 SECONDS)
F484: (SPITTING COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF LIQUID)
(PAUSE, 8.1 SECONDS)
F484: (VOMITING)
Myung: (COMFORTINGLY) Shhh... Shhh...
F484: (MECHANICALLY) Stims are kicking in. (PAUSE, 1.2 SECONDS) Come on, let's meet up with the rest of the squad.
FRE8 wrote: Myung: (DESPERATELY) Foxtrot, wait! (PAUSE, 0.9 SECONDS) Your arm! (PAUSE, 1.4 SECONDS) You just got shredded by a Hunter! Just wait a minute!
(PAUSE, 3.7 SECONDS)
Myung: (ANGRILY) BLAM it!
FRE9 wrote: F484: (SOFT INCOHERENT NOISES)
Myung: Easy, easy. Okay, stay right there while I get this door open.
(SOUND OF DOOR OPENING)
(SOUND OF IMPACT WITH FLOOR)
Myung: No, come on! Get up! Get... I can't carry you! Foxtrot!
F484: (VOMITING)
Myung: No, no, no! Please! (PAUSE, 2.1 SECONDS) Open your eyes, open...
(PAUSE, 1.3 SECONDS)
Myung: (HORRIFIED) Oh god.
Myung: (NEAR HYSTERICS) Why are you bleeding from... What did you do?!
(SOUND OF ELITES IN THE DISTANCE)
Myung: BLAM it! Come on, help me out here. Come on. Kick your legs. Something. Just a little more...
(SOUND OF DOOR CLOSING)
Myung: (EMOTIONAL) Okay now... How... What do I...
(PAUSE, 2.2 SECONDS)
Myung: (STERNLY) Foxtrot! Listen to me! We're here. I need you to focus. The last stage of the mission is here. I need you to complete your mission. Can you do that Foxtrot?
F484: (INCOHERENT MUMBLING)
Myung: Speak up! I can't hear you!
F484: (SOFTLY, SHAKING VOICE) Yes ma'am.
F484: (PAINED GROAN)
F484: Completing... the mission...
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

I find that when I mess up, honesty is the best policy.

Maybe we'll make it a few dinners. You sound like you have a tough time, and while I'm no shrink, I'd be happy to lend an ear if you feel like ranting--whatever you're allowed to rant about, of course--as one friend listens to another.

Thanks for sharing this extra information with me. I hope ONI declassifies this at some point, it's beautifully tragic and would make a great holoplay.