ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

Retribution

Unread post by ISitInA »

To: Cpt********.1465.UNSC.THESEUS
Origin: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Received:
Sent: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 6 (UEM-F484-U.MP.S-2A331-2, UEM-F484-U.MP.S-2A34A-9, DRS-F484-AS.P12-11111-1, Excerpt: Tactical Meeting H.ALM.DS-57, UEM-F484-U.MP.S-2B171-1, UEM-CE.16-F484-U.MP.S-2B230-B, 1.2 Gb total)
Subject: Retribution

Captain,

When a Covenant cruiser appears close enough that you can see it from planetside, it's a cause for alarm. Even more so when you're trapped on an alien artifact with no method of retreat and no exo-assets to defend you. I don't think that I need to tell you that there were more than a few people needing a change of pants.

As much as it caused panic, it also caused a great deal many good things. For the first time, Golf Site was opened a direct and stable connection to Bravo Site, where much of the ranking brass was located. People finally, after so much time alone on the artifact, had something stable to do. Fortifications were made, plans of defense and attack were drawn, as people desperately tried to figure out how to keep the Covenant from slaughtering everybody. Launching an assault on the cruiser wasn't an option due to a lack of resources.

Of course, they say that where there's a will, there's a way. Even with the crippling losses, there were still a few who believed in that saying. In my opinion, it should have long since been changed to “where there's an Orion, there's a way.” Though their sense of tactics permeates every aspect of their lives, they had the capability to think outside the box, and put resources to use that would otherwise be never thought of.

I think you can guess where I'm going with this, Captain.

Sincerely,

Chair

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. It utilizes the third encryption protocols. Below is the unencrypted message.
You once told a councilor that you stood behind rules and regulations completely up until it kept you from completing your mission. Is that why you always went 404? Is that why you did what nobody else could think of?
UEM-F484-U.MP.S-2A331-2 wrote: Myung: (DESPERATELY) Will you wait up?
F484: (ANGRILY) No! I am sick and tired of these bastards! I'm going back to Bravo Site and we're going to find a way to stop these bastards before they kill another civilian!
Myung: What are you going to do against a cruiser?
F484: I don't know! Maybe the brass has some sort of idea! I won't know until I find out, now will I?
(PAUSE, 3.7 SECONDS)
Myung: What if I have an idea?
(PAUSE, 4.2 SECONDS)
F484: (CALMLY) You have my attention, ma'am.
Myung: We'll need some ordinance.
F484: I think I can manage that.
Myung: You might have to do some fighting.
F484: I know I can manage that.

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. It utilizes the third encryption protocols. Below is the unencrypted message.
She did have your attention, didn't she?
UEM-F484-U.MP.S-2A34A-9 wrote: F484: Are you sure you can do it?
Myung: (HESITANTLY) I'm fairly sure. Until the Monitor goes active at least. It might be able to lock me out, though I don't know why it would.
F484: Alright, I think I can get the ordinance we need. I pulsed to Echo, and they're demanding me back, but I got the intel.
Myung: That still leaves any that already made it onto the ring.
F484: Don't worry about that. I have a plan.
DRS-F484-CS.P12-11111-1 wrote: Munsey: Sir! I thought all of you were on the line with the brass.
F484: (QUICKLY) I'm four-zero-four. (PAUSE, 0.9 SECONDS) You and you, with me. I need your help. You, get a Hog, I need to load up.
Goldstein: Yessir!
(PAUSE, 2.3 SECONDS)
Goldstein: Sir, do you know why we were transferred to Charlie Site?
Munsey: (HISSING) Quiet!
F484: No clue, but I'm glad to see some familiar faces.
Munsey: Sir?
(PAUSE, 7.9 SECONDS)
F484: Opening authorization, Foxtrot four-eight-four. Verbal command, crack the ice.
Computer: Confirmed.
Goldstein: (AWESTRUCK) Is that what I think it is?
F484: Casing's still tight, good. And yes, it has no booster, but it is a Shiva warhead.
Goldstein: Mike Foxtrot.
Munsey: You've got a plan for that cruiser, don't you?
F484: You two get that side, I'll get this one. We need to get it to the surface and on that Hog, stat. While I secure it in the bed, I need you to get me some weapons and ammo.
Excerpt: Tactical Meeting H.ALM.DS-57 wrote: MajGen Sacora, Jordan
1stLt C247
CPT Davis, Charles
SSgt I322

C247: (CONTINUING REPORT) This will allow us to have a safe zone of operations away from any of the habitation sites.
Sacora: Son, there aren't enough Orions alive to let even one squad of you take one for the team. I understand that smaller units will be harder to detect, however I can reroute some Marines to-(INTERRUPTED)
Davis: (EXCITEDLY) Sir, you need to see this.
(PAUSE, 17.6 SECONDS)
Sacora: Can you boys confirm what I'm seeing here?
C247: Yes, sir. It appears that the Covenant cruiser just exploded. (PAUSE, 4.3 SECONDS) What's the status of Foxtrot four-eight-four?
I322: Still four-zero-four, sir.
Sacora: Excuse me?
C247: He's still performing undeclared field exercises.
Sacora: (CAUTIOUSLY CURIOUS) What sort of field exercises?
C247: I'd like to know that as well, sir.
UEM-F484-U.MP.S-2B171-1 wrote: (NOISE, IDENTIFIED, LOCAL TELEPORTATION GRID)
(CALL OF COVENANT TYPE: ENGINEER)
Myung: (SURPRISED) What the hell?
F484: (QUICKLY) Relax. No need to be alarmed. It's... Intelligence reports say it doesn't care about sides, it just wants to do its job. Fixing and making stuff.
Myung: I know that! It's a construct by the same people who made the ring. What I want to know is how the hell did it get down here?
F484: It was going to inspect the warhead so I...
(PAUSE, 3.7 SECONDS)
F484: (AWE) Now that's a pretty sight.
Myung: The only survivors will be here on the ground. (PAUSE, 1.1 SECONDS) Are you going to tell me the plan now?
F484: (SING-SONG) You aren't going to like it...
UEM-CE.16-F484-U.MP.S-2B230-B wrote: Elite: (CHATTER, TRANSLATED AS DEROGATORY COMMENTS ABOUT CORRUPTORS)
Elite: (SURPRISED NOISE)
Myung: (QUIETLY) That's right, you mother. Come to mama.
Elite: (TRANSLATED AS THE BEGINNING OF A PRAYER: [REDACTED])
Myung: (SING-SONG) Hello, Blue. How do you do? My friend is going to kill you.
Elite: (NOISE OF CONFUSION, HESITATION)
(HIGH POWERED RIFLE FIRED)
(SOUND OF ELITE BEING SHOT AND FALLING TO THE GROUND)
Myung: (LAUGHING) I can't believe this is so easy!
F484: (SMUGLY) I love using their own religion against them.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Retribution

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Fascinating.

Speaking of fascinating things, I have a riddle for you, it's connected to the investigation.

If I was told to "visit a place that doesn't exist any more and go to a place there that you can't find" then does that mean anything? What if it's coming from an Orion?

I eagerly await your reply.
ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

You can't get there from here

Unread post by ISitInA »

Received:
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 0
Subject: You can't get there from here

Captain,

To an Orion, there were few places that were considered important. Perhaps the most important of these was the Olympus facility, where they were trained. Naturally, the Olympus facility was destroyed during the attack on Reach.

And I should note that there was only one place at the Olympus facility that nobody but Orion IVs ever found. 23 Zulu.

Great. Now I wish, more than ever, that I could somehow get there to see it.

Sincerely,

Chair
PsycoJoe
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by PsycoJoe »

Chair,

I keep getting references to something termed 'six three'. Do you have any idea what that might mean, and are able to share?
ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

Naming Conventions

Unread post by ISitInA »

Received:
Attachments: 0
Subject: Naming Conventions

Captain,

It's been a while, and it's easy to forget some basic data, so I'll reiterate a bit (and add some extra) before directly answering that. I'll use F484 as an example.

Out of each generation there were six groups of 99 candidates for recruitment. (Plus the rumored 7th group.) Alpha through Foxtrot. Next is the first four. That denotes that he's an Orion IV. The 84 denotes that he was candidate number 84 out of the 99 in the Foxtrot group.

Foxtrot (last candidate group) 4 (Orion IV) 84 (84th candidate)

In informal one-on-one situations, Orion IVs were called by their group designator. In his case, Foxtrot. In more personal one-on-one situations, they were called by their candidacy number, in his case Eight Four.

If it deals with F484, then Six Three can only apply to one person. C463. The only girlfriend he remembers having, God rest her soul.

(Yes, he had three girlfriends pre-recruitment. A tall, intelligent, self-confident to the point of almost overconfident, moderately charming, not unattractive with the physical ability to beat the tar out of people two years his senior? Especially when he was a Senior in high school when most girls his age were Freshmen, and he preferred girls his own age back then? Yeah, tell me you can't imagine girls being all over that.)

Sincerely,

Chair
Carver
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Carver »

Chair,

Can you tell me more about C463? I think she may still be a factor in all of this, living or dead.