EM Anomaly: Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine Deck

This is where the action happens!

Moderator: Moderators

Hive
Data [Authenticated]

EM Anomaly: Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine Deck

Unread post by Hive »

BZZT! Alert! EM anomaly detected in the SFTE Core. I have lost all contact with the area.

BZZT! Dispatching medical and security crews, as per established protocols.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Re: EM Anomaly: Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine Deck

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Security teams indicate nothing out of the ordinary, and politely asked me if this is a snipe hunt.
ZackDark
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ZackDark »

Are radiation levels safe enough for engineers?
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Radiation levels are at normal background levels for when the SFTE is disengaged, Captain.

bzzt! The engineers that were in the area seemed quite surprised by the arrival of the security team and medical.

Bzzt! XO McAllister expresses her frustration. I would pass along what she said, but your personal language filters would make all but seven words out of the 34 that she said unreadable.
ZackDark
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ZackDark »

I see. Well, let me give it a second of thought. Maybe we can get something out of this.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Captain, the security team reports that somebody has drawn an image of a man with a large nose looking over something with the caption 'Kilroy was here' underneath. They have reiterated their request to know if this is a snipe hunt.
Carver
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Carver »

No, this is not a Snipe hunt. If it was, I would've requested they clap three times and use chocolate as bait. It looks like one of the engineers got a little bored, hence the drawing. Amusing? Yes. Embarrassing? Also yes. Run a quick match-analysis on the handwriting of the doodle and have the security team and medical team reimbursed at time and a half pay for the duration of their individual investigations of these EM anomalies. That should reduce the griping a bit.

As for the EM anomaly itself...what was the area of effect and duration of this one? How does it compare with the other EM anomalies that have resulted in incidents?
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Quick analysis does not match the handwriting of any crewmember who is serving or has served of the UNSC Theseus.

Bzzt! Area of effect was approximately 15 meters in diameter, intersecting with the bulkhead that the drawing was found on, though not centralized on it. Sadly, this was not a uniform diameter, possibly due to the Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine. The duration was three minutes, fifteen decimal six seconds.

bzzt! Sorry, Captain. Did I jump the gun on this one?
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Hive, this may mean something. I know that you're not an ONI sciences AI, but I need your best available attempt at this:

How did the Slipspace Drive affect the EM Anomaly exactly? You mention that it had some effect on it. Would there be a way to rig a concentrated passive slipspace effect (like whatever the SFTE is making when it isn't being used) on a targeted area of the ship and trap the EM Anomaly in one location? If you need help, send out a request to the astrophysics AIs at FLEETCOM, but don't tell them what it's for. If they ask, tell them it's a private science experiment and a purely speculative question.

Come to think of it, if we did have a way use slipspace to trap an EM signal, then maybe we could also have used it to deflect--say--the guidance beams of a Covenant ship's plasma torpedo. There has to be someone who's studied this topic somewhere.

We need to work on drawing this to a close Hive. Nervous crew, nervous ONI brass, and nervous ghosts is a truly volatile mixture.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! My best current guess is that the electromagnets used in the particle accelerators, though not powered up, warped the EM anomaly. Usually when dealing with one this powerful, though highly localized, it takes my sensors down for another 10-24 meters from the estimated edge of the anomaly. This time, there were areas where my sensors were still operating perfectly fine up to 16 meters from the estimated dead center of the anomaly, though they were still unable to perform an accurate scan.

Bzzt! I will begin analysis immediately. Helen has offered to lend what support she can, though this is not her field of expertise. I am allowing her help with this.