ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

Hangovers suck

Unread post by ISitInA »

To: Cpt********.1465.UNSC.THESEUS
Origin: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Received:
Sent: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 2 (UEM-F484-U.MP.S-227619-A, UEM-F484-U.MP.S-227619-B, 87 Mb total)
Subject: Hangovers suck

Captain,

I'm sorry about the abrupt end. Most of that was leading up to this. I just needed some time. I had a lot of good friends on Reach. Some were coworkers. In my recruitment duties, I actually took the time to speak with various instructors at Olympus, many of whom I kept in correspondence with. All of this is bringing back a lot of memories, a lot of time spent staring at pictures. I'll try and keep it together.

Halo, as it was called, was naturally a relic of immense importance to the Covenant. They believed that these “sacred rings” would lead them on some sort of great journey, ascending them to godhood. They were wrong, of course, but that's besides the point.

They had, years before, discovered the ring themselves. After a brief flurry of activity, even going so far as to bring their spaceborne capitol High Charity there, their presence suddenly decreased. From what I understand, there was some sort of internal schism caused by the inability to activate them, but the details are outside of what I'm cleared to see.

After the schism ended, the High Council deemed that such a relic could not be visited at random. Instead, anybody wishing to see it were forced on a pilgrimage, one designed to test their faith, so that only the worthy would get to lay eyes on it.

Naturally, only Elites were worthy enough to make such a pilgrimage. Such is the privilege of being at the top of the food chain, I suppose.

The few Elites encountered by human forces on Halo were often woefully underarmed. Usually, they only had a plasma sword. This, combined with excellent snipers and teamwork, built up a fair amount of morale for many of those evacuated or stationed on the ring. At least, except for those who were justifiably paranoid about the lack of the Covenant horde.

Kill zones were set up at the entryway to the ring from Reach. The cliffside around the entrance was blown in the hopes of slowing the Covenant down, forcing them to remove rubble by hand. (Later studies suggest that it could have possibly been excavated by low-orbiting ships, but the thought was sound, and would still give time before the Covenant passed through.) When a week went by without incident, a small fireteam of Orion-IVs were sent to investigate. Somehow, a great door had closed, apparently severing the link.

This was cause for great joy and great fear for the survivors. Though now they had more security from the Covenant, they were now completely trapped. There was no known way to return to the UNSC, and the Covenant knew of this location... and seemed fairly pissed that humans were there. It was only a matter of time before forces arrived en masse to kill them.

To this end, all surviving Science Corps agents were sent out into the field to try and learn what they could. All scientists were to work on analysis, a task made more difficult with the lack of a proper AI to assist them, and only what equipment was already brought over. This was made even more difficult by the need to treat the wounded, and the often confused, sometimes pained states of the G3 Orion-IV.

As luck would have it, one specific Orion-IV ignored standing orders and went out on his own. And thus starts the true journey from him being an ordinary Orion and your current difficulties.

Sincerely,

Chair

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Again, this uses the new encryption. Below is the unencrypted message.
I'm told that you did wait to receive squad members. They had already anticipated you going off alone and never assigned you any. How did that make you feel? I can only imagine.
UEM-F484-U.MP.S-227619-A wrote:(SOUND OF ASSAULT RIFLE FIRE IN FULLY AUTOMATIC MODE, 79% PROBABILITY OF MA37)
Myung: (INARTICULATE SCREAMS OF RAGE)
(ASSAULT RIFLE FIRE STOPS)
Elite: (APPROXIMATION: Wort, wort, wort! TRANSLATION: A declaration of engagement)
Myung: (ANGRILY) You have got to be kidding me!
(SOUND OF A GUNSHOT FROM A HIGH-POWER RIFLE, 88% PROBABILITY OF SRS99D-S2 AM)
(PAUSE, 5.17 SECONDS)
Myung: (CONFUSED) What the...
F484: (SMUGLY) I thought maybe you could use a little help...

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Again, this uses the new encryption. Below is the unencrypted message, with your personal language filters applied.
You always were a cocky little BLAM at times.
UEM-F484-U.MP.S-227619-B wrote:F484: (CASUALLY) I recognized your voice, decided to return the favor.
Myung: With all that screaming?
F484: What can I say? I'm good at what I do.
Myung: (NERVOUS LAUGHTER) Right, right.
F484: What's your name, soldier?
Myung: Private Myung Park.
(PAUSE, 1.7 SECONDS)
F484: Pleasure to meet you, Private. I'm Foxtrot four-eight-four.
Myung: That's a mouthful.
F484: Better than Sierra four-niner-niner. (PAUSE, 1.4 SECONDS) Right, uh. Anyway. Where were you heading?
Myung: I was going to go investigate a structure.
F484: What heading?
Myung: From here? Um. (PAUSE, 2.8 SECONDS) It would be nine point- (INTERRUPTED)
(SOUND OF METAL AGAINST METAL AND STRAINING POLYMERS)
(SOUND OF IMPACT WITH THE GROUND)
(SOUND OF METAL AGAINST METAL AND STRAINING POLYMERS)
Myung: Hey!
F484: Right, let's see who you really are.
(PAUSE, 9.4 SECONDS)
F484: (AMAZED) Whiskey tango foxtrot...

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Below is the unencrypted message.
Such an unglamorous meeting, don't you think?
the new one
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Hangovers suck

Unread post by the new one »

Just don't fall off great heights while you are drunk, and it won't be that bad.

Say Chair, do we still have, or possibly leftover human presence on these Halos?

Hive, same thing again.

"You know what they say, I know how to make a grand entrance."