ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

Innies

Unread post by ISitInA »

To: Cpt********.1465.UNSC.THESEUS
Origin: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Received:
Sent: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 3 (Excerpt 25, Excerpt 34, Lee Chin Ho transcript excerpt, 97 Mb total)
Subject: Innies

Captain,

It amazes most people that the Insurrectionists were still active during the war. Idealists say that a threat against humanity as a whole should have galvanized everybody against a common threat. The issue is, as a sociologist will tell you, if one group is already mistrustful of another, any evidence presented by one will be treated with suspect by the other. Even proof of glassing was treated as if it had been falsified by the UNSC. Some even believed that the UNSC had attacked the planet themselves rather than have it lost to the insurrectionists.

Even those who believed the truth sometimes misinterpreted the actions of the UNSC during this time frame. Martial law was declared on many planets that were within the swath of destruction, and many saw this as the final act of oppression. Some planets saw this as their chance to escape UEG rule. At least, until it was completely superseded by the UNSC and all but disbanded.

What almost everybody seems to miss is that humanity owes the Insurrectionists a great debt. Without them, humanity would have fallen to the Covenant far sooner. It was them who caused the great buildup of arms and ships that were used. It was them that caused the creation of the Orion Program.

Amongst the Inner Colonies, there was a great outcry for how many Insurrectionists were pardoned after the war. You were noted as being one of them, Captain. If this was just for the sake of the party line or not isn't noted, but still. Look at it from another viewpoint. Those who, yes, did try and rebel from the status quo but who risked life and limb to fight the Covenant fought for humanity. During the war, this was perhaps the most important thing. It was also a peace offering to those planets who had broken away.

There are still twelve planets currently under peaceful independent rule. There are another four that may be brought back into the fold. Another seven are technically listed as “disputed.” One of those planets may yet win independence, only because they have not engaged in any terrorist activities that have harmed civilians. Instead, peaceful protests (and the occasional surgical strike against UNSC forces) are waged.

The actions of this last colony are worth mentioning. That's one of the many reasons why we're so interested in this particular case. I'll leave you to think on that one.

Sincerely,

Chair
Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Below is the unencrypted message.
Forgive my skepticism, but I'm going to have to ask that you prove it.
Excerpt 25 wrote:EXCERPT 25 FROM DOCUMENT [REDACTED]

[…]Peaceful protests should be held on the following days: the day the colony was first settled, the day the colony was first discovered, Unification Day, all major religious holidays (candlelit), and on the anniversary of any major planetary figure's death who supported independent rule or who served in the UNSC. Pamphlets should be handed out. Care should be taken to avoid harsh language or untruthful criticism in both writing and spoken word; avoidance of a mob mentality arising amongst protesters should be paramount. Always give token credit to the UNSC for anything positive they have done on the planet. […] These protests should not last more than three hours, and should be scheduled in such a way that they do not interfere with the operation of businesses.

[…]In both the event of death of either those fighting the UNSC or UNSC personnel resisting Insurrectionist activities, a silent candlelit vigil should be held. Show remorse that such actions were necessary by either party, and show the dead as much respect as possible. […]
Excerpt 34 wrote:EXCERPT 34 FROM DOCUMENT [REDACTED]

[…]In the event that action must be taken against UNSC forces, it should be planned well in advance. All members (including those in the planning) should be labeled as outcasts from the main resistance movement before activities occur. Actions should target military forces only; civilians or non-military government officials must not be harmed in any way, shape or form. […] All members of the peaceful resistance should be forthright and honest during the following investigations; no lies or omissions of the truth should be given to investigators. Those responsible must take their punishment with their heads held high and plead guilty to all charges without reduction of sentence. This will prevent no ammunition to be used against the resistance at a further date and time. Failure to abide by these rules should result in members of the peaceful resistance turning out the outcasts and presenting them to the UNSC to the best of their abilities.

[…]Retaliatory strikes by the UNSC should be accepted with all good grace so long as they do not harm unassociated civilians in any way, shape or form. If they cause harm to somebody who was in accordance to their demands and who is able to prove that they were not involved in resistance activities, legal action should be taken, and both prayer vigils and peaceful protests should be enacted on the harmed party's behalf. […]

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Below is the unencrypted message.
And to think you were approved.
Lee Chin Ho transcript excerpt wrote:EXCERPT FROM INTELLIGENCE GATHERED ON LEE CHIN HO

02/19/2561
Lee, Chin Ho
"Myung," Probable alias

Myung: (SHOCKED) You can't be serious. (PAUSE, 3.8 SECONDS) Tell me you aren't serious!
Lee: (CALMLY) You have a problem with this?
Myung: (ANGRILY) How many people are going to- (INTERRUPTED)
Lee: None! The deaths will be one of three. The first, the UNSC. The second, those who sympathize with them. We don't need them here, they don't belong here. The third will be the martyrs, those who gave their lives so that people will no longer have to live under foreign rule. So that we no longer have to give to a government who gives nothing back in return. A government who makes us swear allegiance to a planet that none of us have even seen with our own eyes! Who demands tribute, our lives, everything! Who use these monsters in the darkness to take away more and more of our rights every day! No! Myung, what you have yet to figure out is that there are no innocents in this war! There is no man, woman, or child who is free from what is happening here. You are either guilty, or devoted!
Lee: (DARKLY) And some day, you will have to decide, once and for all, where you stand.

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Below is the unencrypted message.
And she chose another path, didn't she? One that required a great deal more bravery, and more sacrifice than even I can imagine.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Innies

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Those were tough times, Chair, a lot of frustration going around.

And while I'm not fond of protests or the circumstances that lead up to them, I suppose a peaceful one is always better than a warlike one.

Hive, embed the following, same type of encryption.

"I want to tell you, but that information is classified, and this line of communication is insecure. If you can come up with a more secure way of talking, I might give you the answers you're looking for.
Speaking of which, I'm still not sure who you are, you may not even be cleared for that information--and don't say that I should know who you are. We're talking through text, you could be anyone. Failing that, even a nickname would be nice until we hit an agreement."