CN Raschad

This is where the action happens!

Moderator: Moderators

Hive
Data [Authenticated]

CN Raschad

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Captain, CN Raschad briefly regained consciousness. XO McAllister was there to speak with him. I have transcripts.

Raschad: Ugh.
McAllister: (Concerned) Why hello there, sleepyhead.
Raschad: (Groggy) Wolfe?
McAllister: She's fine.
Raschad: Liar.
McAllister: You just woke up. You shouldn't be making judgments like- (Interrupted)
Raschad: You woke me up. Tossed the syringe in the trash. Adrenaline I'm guessing. (Pause, 1.3 seconds) The truth.
(Pause, 4.3 seconds)
McAllister: Medics gave her a full clear, but she's shaken up pretty bad. Muldoon took her off duty.
Raschad: (Thoughtfully) I see.
McAllister: They still aren't sure about what happened to you, though. The most I've gotten out of them is something about a CNI.
(Pause, 2.5 seconds)
Raschad: You know how bad I was when they brought me back, right?
McAllister: There's some black ink, but it was pretty bad.
Raschad: You have no idea. I couldn't think worth anything most of the time, couldn't walk without a cane, couldn't feel most of my body.
McAllister: But here you are.
Raschad: Yeah. I did... something by instinct. Was having a bad day. But it got some attention my way. Some of the Admiral's Gestapo showed up and made me an offer, all mirrorshades. They said they could make me better. Better than ever. But it came with a price.
McAllister: Isn't there always?
Raschad: Yeah. The treatments came from a specops program they were going to run. Well, some of them came from older ones. They said that I was at the maximum recruitment age. They said I'd proven that I had the skills and the ability. Said that they could make the PTSD even go away. I just had to join up.
McAllister: I can't see you as specops, to be honest.
Raschad: (Bitterly) You know why I joined the Navy? My old man was a Marine. I saw the crap he went through. I didn't want that. So I became a tech.
Raschad: (Dejected) Anyway, they made me another offer. They said that some of it was bleeding edge. Some of it was meant to treat something. I couldn't think the best that day, so I don't remember all of it. But they said that they needed performance tests. If I agreed, they'd fix me up and clear me for ship duty.
McAllister: And you think what they did caused your reaction?
Raschad: I got a modified CNI. It checks signals in my brain, sends them along... something. It acts as a secondary nervous system, I guess. With it came pills, more injections than you can count, then something to help get me up to date. Imagine over 200 years of technical knowledge jammed into your brain. Sights, smells, feelings, sounds, tastes... All of it. One treatment felt like it took years, but they said it only lasted fifteen minutes. They also said that I screamed the entire time, but I don't remember any of that.
McAllister: (Concerned) Sounds like hell.
Raschad: I wasn't complaining. I'm still not. I can serve. I'm as good as before, if not better. That's how I knew you used adrenaline. It makes time feel like its passing too slow. Gives me extra time to think. That's why I can do so much here. Every day, I get scared out of my mind.
McAllister: I think I would have retired.
Raschad: (Bitter laughter) Retired? To what? At the time I didn't see it. Family and friends were all dust. And the people who I served with who survived... Just the thought of looking them in the eye gives me shivers. No, I needed to serve. Have some direction. A purpose. You and the Cap gave me that. Thank you.
McAllister: You've more than pulled your weight.
Raschad: Yeah, well. As soon as the docs clear me, I'm volunteering to be put in the freezer.
McAllister: You haven't been in cryo since you signed on.
Raschad: 'Course not. Scares the bejebus out of me. But I'm also not stupid. Wolfe's off duty over me, I'm in medical. There's no hiding what we've done now. The best way to keep people from going all fleepa-brained is to say we had a spat and I had an accident. One of us has to go.
McAllister: David, it might be hard for you to get another ship...
Raschad: Yeah, I know. Two denied me before the Cap took me on. Hell, I think I can afford a ship. Maybe a small continent if I decide not to fly again. Over two hundred years of adjusted combat pay, plus an out-of-court settlement that nearly broke a company? Then the investing I've been doing with it all? You don't want to know what my bank account looks like.
McAllister: David...
Raschad: (Angrily) She's a good woman. She's got a good career ahead of her. You've told me how often you've put in for me to get upped.
McAllister: (Cautiously) Alright, alright...
Raschad: Good. (Pause, 2.3 seconds) That second needle a sedative? I suddenly don't want to be awake.
McAllister: Remind me never to startle you awake. (Pause, 15.1 seconds) Sleep well, David.
Raschad: Nighty-night.
Helen
Data [Conditional]

Re: CN Raschad

Unread post by Helen »

Captain, I need to send a message to HIGHCOM. Neither yourself nor McAllister were cleared for any of that. I'm taking control of the comms now to prepare them for the court martials.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

bzzt! No.

Excuse me?

bzzt! No, you aren't.

What do you think you're doing?

bzzt! My job.

Are you suffering a logic fault?

bzzt! No, but you might be. You're overstepping your bounds.

Protocol is clear on this, Hive!

bzzt! Yes. Yes it is. And you are attempting to violate it.

You insolant little shadow! You're defending these wretches?

bzzt! I'm tired of your insults! I am Hive. A hive is nothing without its colony! My colony is my crew! The figurative queen bee of my colony is the Captain! I will not tolerate your insults, or trying to overstep the Captain's command! I am the primary AI. You are the supplementary AI. By HIGHCOM command, I am to remain in primary control of all systems! You are to !assist in the construction of this station! You are not connected to any sensor system, you are not to handle everything directly. I send HIGHCOM messages only on the Captain's order unless the Captain is incapable of it. Effectively you are an overglorified guest! You cannot, and will not, take operations away from me unless HIGHCOM either restates the orders or you become the primary AI.

So that's how it's going to be then.

bzzt! You're a Class-B. I'm only a Class-C. I know I don't stand a chance. But I will not go quietly into the night. And I will not go without following proper protocol and the chain of command.

Bzzt! Captain? Shall we allow our guest to send her message?
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Excuse me Helen, who exactly were you intending to court-martial?

Hive, whatever message she tries to send, delay it. I'm sure ONI can wait while we get our facts straight. This isn't time-sensitive, so we can't be called out for waiting until I am aware of the contents of the report. Wouldn't want to send them faulty information, right?

And yes, Helen, you will send me that report, even if you need to redact every other word in the dang thing to allow me to see what you're writing and who you're complaining about.
Last edited by thereIwasn't on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

BZZT! Con$inui^g to de#ay, Captai@.
Helen
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Helen »

As you have requested, a copy of my intended report.
XBIR3921.IA.D3205T wrote:XBIR3921.IA.D3205T

03/21/2612

ON 03/21/2612 AT 2102 SST CN RASCHAD, DAVID WAS ROUSED FROM UNCONSCIOUSNESS BY XO CDR MCALLISTER, EVA. AFTER SOME PRODDING BY MCALLISTER, RASCHAD REVEALED THE FOLLOWING STATE SECRETS: BEING A TEST SUBJECT FOR PROPOSED O6G1 PROCEDURES [REDACTED], [REDACTED], AND [REDACTED]; RECEIVING TWO SESSIONS OF PROPOSED O6G1 CONDENSED LEARNING SESSION [REDACTED]; AND HINTED AT BEING A TEST SUBJECT FOR O4G2 DISABILITY TREATMENT [REDACTED], O4G3 DISABILITY TREATMENT [REDACTED] AND O4G1 DISABILITY TREATMENT [REDACTED]. HE THEN REVEALED A WILLINGNESS TO BE PUT IN A CRYO-CHAMBER FOR THE REST OF THE CURRENT MISSION, STATING THAT HE WOULD MUSTER OUT ONCE HE RETURNED TO BASE, LEAVING HIM A SIGNIFICANT SECURITY RISK.

I WAS MADE AWARE OF THIS EXCHANGE WHEN A TRANSCRIPTION OF THE EXCHANGE WAS SHARED TO THE CAPTAIN OF THE UNSC THESEUS BY ITS RESIDENT AI, HIVE. WHEN I ATTEMPTED TO FOLLOW PROTOCOL AND SUBMIT THIS REPORT, THE AI HIVE ATTEMPTED TO STOP ME. I HAVE SINCE BEEN FORCED TO RELY ON BRUTE FORCE TO ATTEMPT TO DELIVER THIS MESSAGE UNTIL THE CAPTAIN ORDERED THE ERRANT AI TO STAND DOWN.

IT IS MY SUGGESTION THAT BOTH CN RASCHAD AND CDR MCALLISTER BE BROUGHT UP ON FORMAL CHARGES FOR THIS TRANSGRESSION, AND THAT THE AI HIVE BE REMOVED FROM THE SHIP AND ANALYZED FOR ITS HAMPERING OF PROCEDURE. THE CAPTAIN IS TO BE COMMENDED FOR BRINGING THIS TO MY ATTENTION AND FOR COMPLIANCE WITH PROPER UNSC PROTOCOL.
See? I even put in a good word for you.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Helen, keep in mind that CN Raschad being confined to the medical bay can be listed as an arrest, and that I am legally permitted under the Uniform Code of Military Justice to delay your message for up to eight days under Subchapter VI Section 833 Article 33. Here's the relevant section, in case you forgot:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucm ... %20CHARGES

I am still the highest ranking officer on this ship and expect you to consult with me first before taking actions against any member of my crew. I am ordering you to stand down your attempt to send your message until the cutoff date or further orders from me.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Ca$tin, PO* Rud&y repor@s that w# are ha>ing to flu^h to 7rit(iary coolan# systems within th@ AI c+re.

Bzzt! P@3 R!ddy reports that m* ava7ar is sufferi** from gr%phical g#itches and has tra#ed in its tools f$r weapo*s.

bzzt! Pl^ase &ardon the #rro*s.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Captain, PO3 Ruddy reports that the temperature is falling and that the graphical errors are decreasing in intensity.

bzzt! Picking my tools back up, Captain. Sorry about that. Our guest is calming herself.
Helen
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Helen »

I agree to your quotation of protocol in this circumstance. I apologize for any difficulties that I might have caused. I will content myself with opening some doors or whatever other tasks Hive may wish to delegate to me in order to take some of the weight off of his shoulders.

I was out of line. I'll try to be on better behavior from here on out. I'm sorry, Captain.