Dread

This is where the action happens!

Moderator: Moderators

ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

Dread

Unread post by ISitInA »

bzzt! Captain, I have applied your personal language filters.

To: Cpt********.1465.UNSC.THESEUS
Origin: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Received:
Sent: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 3 (MFMEETINGA, SacoraSnippet1, SacoraSnippet2, 97 Mb total)
Subject: Dread

Captain,

I know that this is getting infuriating. You were sent here to build a station, not to deal with ghosts of the past. But your report made this a Tier-1 investigation. That's how important this is. That's the scope of how vital ONI feels your... interactions with what may or may not be F484 might be. That's how much risk I'm taking in leaking this information to you. And that's why I'm trying not to piss you off with how long giving you what you need to know is taking.

If it tells you anything, another Prowler arrived today. Not even I knew that another was being sent to watch. That brings the total of them monitoring you up to three.

There are more reasons for me taking my “sweet time” as you might put it, but that... I can't divulge currently. If ever.

Moving right along.

Sadly, it proved to be prudent to send the Orions over there first. As it turned out, there were limited amounts of Covenant on Halo. Surprisingly limited. They'd only just found it a short time ago, and despite it being one of their holy relics, they were only allowing a select few to journey there. All Elites, of course.

At least, at that point.

Fortunately, the Orions were nothing if not cautious. Almost all of them went out in teams of three. Four teams of three, with one extra. They already knew that F484 would wander off on his own. While two Orions died, every Elite encountered was killed before they could send a signal back to... wherever it was that they came from.

Otherwise, things might have gotten rather quite dicey.

HIGHCOM was worried, though. There had already been other issues. The war wasn't going in our favor. We knew it, and despite our best efforts, the public felt it. Section I was trying its hardest, but it was an undercurrent that couldn't be shaken. More refugees from more worlds seemed to pour in every week. You can't hide that from the public forever, even with the media being so tightly controlled.

By the numbers, it was only a matter of time before Reach was assaulted, and all assets there were lost. Therefore, Marines, ODST, and a division from Reach's army were sent over to set up Alpha Site. The above ground structure wasn't much to speak of, but the caves nearby lead to a massive “underground” facility. With only one entrance, this was deemed a suitable base of operations.

Even with all of the military personnel stationed at Alpha Site, there was still enough room to house perhaps another six thousand people. Within two weeks, a similar structure was found and turned into Bravo site. HIGHCOM demanded that there be a suitable fallback point on Halo if Reach was attacked.

They wanted us to move people to an alien artifact that we knew little about, that we still didn't know where it was located, that was known to have Elites on it.

I swear, the entire universe could hear the sound of all of ONI facepalming at once. We generally don't like to make jokes about Military Intelligence, but I'll be BLAMed if we weren't all thinking them at the time.

Strangely enough, it turned out being a good thing, but how were we supposed to know that back then?

Sincerely,

Chair
Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Below is the unencrypted message.
When told to explore the world, you said Tango Golf Alpha Foxtrot. I only figured out what that meant this morning. You always liked your references classic and hard to decipher. Norby, huh?
MFMEETINGA wrote:Elite: (APPROXIMATION: Wort, wort, wort! TRANSLATION: A declaration of engagement)
(HUMAN PANTING)
F484: (A GRUNT OF IMPACT, SUIT DATA INDICATES IT IS CAUSED BY LANDING FROM A JUMP)
(PAUSE, 4.3 SECONDS)
(THE SOUND OF AN ENERGY BLADE SWINGING THROUGH THE AIR)
F484: (GRUNT FROM JUMPING, MORE PANTING, 7.8 SECONDS)
Myung: (YELLING, SLIGHT COMMS FILTER) Jump! Jump down into the structure at ten o-clock!
F484: (GRUNT FROM JUMPING) (PAUSE, 2.3 SECONDS, GRUNT FROM IMPACT LANDING)
(SOUND IDENTIFIED AS ENERGY SHIELD ACTIVATION)
(SOUND IDENTIFIED AS IMPACT WITH ENERGY SHIELD)
Elite: (GRUNT OF IMPACT)
Elite: (GRUNT OF IMPACT)
Elite: (FADING SCREAM, 12.3 SECONDS)
Elite: (SCREAM ABRUPTLY ENDS)
F484: (DEEP BREATH, LETS IT OUT SLOWLY)
Myung: Are you alright?
F484: Been better. (PAUSE, 3.2 SECONDS) Where... are you? How...?
Myung: I think I've figured out a way to tap into the local communications system. I noticed it chasing you, and figured out how to raise the barriers. (PAUSE, 1.2 SECONDS) Over.
F484: (PAUSE, 1.7 SECONDS) Oh, I can't wait to hear about this one. Over.
Myung: Later. For now, you'd better take his Banshee to the mainland, since your Hornet is toast. (PAUSE, 2.1 SECONDS) Unless you really want to study an array for monitoring the star. Over.
(PAUSE, 8.5 SECONDS)
F484: (UPSET TONE) Roger, out.
SacoraSnippet1 wrote:Transcript 0:00:00
PO1 F484
MajGen Sacora, Jordan

F484: (BARKING) Ten-HUT!
Sacora: At ease, soldier. (PAUSE, 1.9 SECONDS) I've been reading your reports and was hoping that you could clarify some things for me.
F484: Sir?
Sacora: I know stalling tactics when I see them, and you're throwing everything you can into these reports. I'd like to know why.
(PAUSE, 2.6 SECONDS)
F484: (HESITANTLY) Because we aren't getting anywhere near conclusive enough data for my tastes, sir. Despite everything we've discovered, there just- (INTERRUPTED)
Sacora: Hold it. (PAUSE, 1.0 SECONDS) Son, I need to ask you to remove your helmet.
F484: (CONFUSED) Sir? I'm not sure I follow.
Sacora: I like to look a soldier in the eyes when I speak to him.
F484: Yes, sir. (SOUND OF HELMET BEING REMOVED) Better, sir?
Sacora: Yes, indeed. (PAUSE, 3.4 SECONDS) You don't need to be so formal. Science Corps are Navy.
F484: With all due respect, sir, you're still a... (PAUSE, 0.9 SECONDS
F484: (STRAINED) Major General.
F484: (COMPOSURE REGAINED) Sir.
(PAUSE, 9.6 SECONDS)
Sacora: Fan of Gilbert and Sullivan, eh?
F484: I used to sing them in my head while marching, sir. Much more interesting than the politically correct stuff they had us march to.
Sacora: (LAUGHTER)
SacoraSnippet2 wrote:Transcript: 2:18:14
PO1 F484
MajGen Sacora, Jordan

F484: [...]So until I can at least understand the source of the interference, I cannot in all good faith agree to that proposal either.
Sacora: (INCREDULOUS) Just because you have problems with your video.
F484: Not quite, sir. Our systems are well-protected. If it was just a sustained EM blast powerful enough to knock out my entire sensor array, it should have played hell with the rest of my suit's systems, but I could walk around just fine. I can't identify the cause, and it could be anything. It's like...
(PAUSE, 2.8 SECONDS)
F484: (QUICKLY) It's like giving a child a gun with the safety on. Yes, they might be okay, but they might accidentally turn the safety off and hurt themselves.
Sacora: (THOUGHTFUL) An interesting analogy.
F484: Sir, with all due respect, since the Covenant attacked, my job is to protect Humanity and the UNSC. I cannot in all good faith write off on any proposal that I don't feel that the necessary safety precautions have been taken.
Sacora: But you're willing to lead Marines to their deaths.
F484: (SLIGHT TONE OF ANGER) No. I have never lead them to their deaths. I lead them into battle. I try to plan out the engagements so that they live. And if I must ask them to die for me, then I try to make BLAM sure it's worth it, sir. And possibly dying because they were standing near a source of radiation that I wasn't sure if it was or wasn't there? Sir, that isn't spending a life for a major objective. That's wasting it. And we need every able body we can get for this BLAMing war.
Sacora: (PLEASED) Then we're in agreement.
F484: (CONFUSED) Sir?
Sacora: They let you Orions drink?
F484: Sir? (PAUSE, 2.1 SECONDS) Um, no, sir.
Sacora: Good. This should be fun.

Note by Hive: Captain, I have encountered additional encrypted data within this message. The encryption keys are old enough to be added to my own databanks upon my creation due to our frequent status in the outer regions of humanity's occupied zone, in case we encountered any of the number of missing ships from the war. Below is the unencrypted message.
He pushed for you to be transferred to the Marines so you could be under his command. I never figured out why he liked you for telling him why you felt he was wrong and why, but then again, he liked all Orions.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Dread

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Chair,
Thanks for the information. If it's gotten far enough that ONI sees it fit to breathe down my neck, then I'll be keeping on my toes.
I'm still waiting on the pertinence of this Halo story you're telling me, but I trust that it's important and that I'll know soon enough. I pray that your history lesson gives me something to work with, this mission has suddenly turned into a real pressure-cooker.

Hive,
Before you send this transmission, I want to try something. These encrypted files we've been getting, I'm assuming that whoever sent them is trying to tell us something with them, and they may be a means to communicate.

So here's what I want you to do:
Attached to my message back to Chair, I want you to embed a brief text file with the same style of encryption that we've been receiving. Since I don't doubt that everyone else's AIs will be able to crack it too, I shall keep the text file short and inconspicuous.

The text file should read "?"

Ideally, whomever is sending these messages will recognize the encryption as an attempt at communication.
I know, it's a shot in the dark, but you know the old phrase; Nothing ventured...
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Message sent, Captain.
ISitInA
Data [Conditional]

I understand

Unread post by ISitInA »

To: Cpt********.1465.UNSC.THESEUS
Origin: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Received:
Sent: ERROR DATA UNAVAILABLE
Classifications: Captain's Eyes Only, Message Archival Allowed, Neural Net Upload Permissions Denied
Attachments: 0
Subject: I understand

Captain,

You have every right to be annoyed, impatient, and even angry. Especially with me right now. I know how I'd feel if I were in your shoes, and I get the feeling that you haven't yelled yourself mute.

I'm doing what I can, but there are things that both help and hinder going on over here. I'm forced to time things out carefully. Too soon, and it could be bad for both of us. Too late, and you won't get all the information you need... and deserve. Oh, if I could just hand you everything in one batch. How much easier that would make both our lives.

I did accomplish one thing, though. Helen should be receiving a message tomorrow telling her to ease up a bit. Nice direct, official orders that she can't deny. If Ball was still around... But that's like wishing anybody who was listed as MIA during the war were still around, isn't it?

Sincerely,

Chair

Is it you? What is an Orion? What makes an Orion? What's your favorite color?
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

Chair,

Thanks for understanding. It's been a rough few days for myself and my crew, and you've been really nice about my requests.
We had a rough time over here a little while ago, but it's resolved and the order you're having sent to Helen will go a long way.
Yeah, well, with all the wacky stuff that's been going on, you might even get that wish about Ball. Who knows? I'm beginning to feel like one of those captains in those ancient 20th century sci-fis.

Next time we both get into port, dinner's on me.

So it worked, Hive?

Send the following in the same encrypted fashion:
"I'm in contact with them, I think. Tell me who, I'll make sure they hear. And while I'd like to tell you what those are, encryption codes aren't what they used to be."
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

bzzt! Apparently so! I did good!

Bzzt! Message sent!