Alert! EM Anomaly: Cryo Bay 2

This is where the action happens!

Moderator: Moderators

Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Alert! EM Anomaly: Cryo Bay 2

Unread post by Hive »

BZZT! Captain, there is an EM anomaly in Cryo Bay 2. I was monitoring an interaction between CN Raschad and PO3 Wolfe when it appeared. I have lost contact with the bay.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Alert! EM Anomaly: Cryo Bay 2

Unread post by Hive »

BZZT! PO3 Wolfe has brought CN Raschad to Infirmary Bay 2. He appears to be suffering from convulsions.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! The EM Anomaly has ended.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Hive,

I want a full report on the situation with CN Raschad, the faster the better.

Also, are his convulsions related in any way to the anomaly? Did the anomaly have any other apparent effect on the ship?
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! CN Raschad is still being examined. The cause of his convulsions is unknown. PO3 Wolfe is still working on her report. I have dispatched engineers to examine Cryo Bay 2.

Bzzt! Below is the conversation between PO3 Wolfe and CN Raschad before contact was lost.

Wolfe: (Hesitantly) David? (Pause, 5.9 seconds) David, nobody sent me, I just want to talk...
Raschad: (Quietly) I'm sorry.
Wolfe: No, I'm sorry. David... (Pause, 3.2 seconds) It's the new AI, isn't it?
Raschad: I... I've been prepping my tube for a quick freeze if need be. Extra shielding, jury-rigged some extra batteries to the beacon. They say that's why it took so long to find me. I... I was one of the last. (Pause, 1.6 seconds) Been working on yours too. I'll probably get the mast for modification of military equipment without permission, but...
Wolfe: I didn't even think about it before last time. I should have.
Raschad: (Bitterly) Kinda hard not to with a survivor of... BLAMing hell, I'm like a godBLAM bad penny.
Wolfe: (Softly) No, no, David. That's not true. It was just an (accident)

Bzzt! At this point the EM anomaly disrupted my monitoring of their conversation. I will update you as I know more.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! The following is the report by PO3 Wolfe on the incident in Cryo Bay 2.

At 2005 SST, I met with CN Raschad in Cryo Bay 2 for a private discussion. During this discussion, we observed that several monitors weren't working right. Instead of their normal status readings, they displayed strange symbols. While examining these symbols, we observed movement from the aft.

A figure stepped through the bulkhead as if it wasn't there. It wore what appeared to be green Kavacha armor that had taken a great deal of combat damage. The armor on the left arm was missing, and appeared to have been either damaged by explosives or plasma fire. The black suit they wear underneath appeared to be normal, however. The torso, legs, right arm, and helmet were scorched, marked, and dented. The shape of the armor was very angular, leading me to believe that it was a suit of armor from the war. It had no weapons.

CN Raschad seized up upon seeing it, becoming very still.

The figure walked slowly towards us. As it approached, CN Raschad put himself between it and myself. The figure stopped a short distance from him and began to reach out with his right arm. CN Raschad responded by trying to grapple with it. I believe that he was attempting some form of hip toss.

CN Raschad fell through the figure and screamed once. He then began convulsing. The figure took two quick steps back, as if surprised by this. After a moment, it turned and began to walk away. I took this opportunity to attempt to come to CN Raschad's aid. The figure moved to the aft bulkhead, walking through as if it did not register that the bulkhead was there.

I called several times for Hive or Helen. Getting no response, I collected CN Raschad and carried him to Infirmary Bay 2 to seek immediate medical attention.

Bzzt! PO3 Wolfe seems most distressed by this, and paused while writing it three times to cry. Should I wake Dr. Muldoon to council her?
PsycoJoe
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by PsycoJoe »

Yes please. Also, when she feels up to it have her describe the apparition with as much detail as she can remember.
Helen
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Helen »

As soon as she finishes her session with you psychologist, I will personally make sure that she records every detail about that figure.
thagomizer
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by thagomizer »

Assuming this anomaly didn't fry our recording equipment as conveniently as the monitors, I would like to see the symbols displayed before our visitor appeared, as well as a cross-reference between all Covenant client languages and known Forerunner symbols. If they can hide a multi-mile slipspace portal under several major population centers with nobody noticing, I wouldn't be surprised if something of there's has to do with this.

Also, I think it would be in the best interests of moral if it didn't get out that what appears to be a ghost of a dead soldier is causing seizures among my crew. Outside of the Command crew and Dr. Muldoon and her staff, I'd rather as few people know about this as possible. Hive, please have Dr. Muldoon send the transcript directly to my terminal once she is finished counselling Wolfe.
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

In the meantime, since we were able to pick this thing up in the first place, we must be able to track it. Hive, did this EM anomaly, during its appearance, remain exclusively in Cryo Bay 2, or did it move about as Petty Officer 3rd Class Wolfe suggested in her interview?

If it did move about, where did it first manifest, what was its route, and where did it vanish?

I'm debating with myself what to do about securing against this thing. If it can't be hit by someone charging at it, then I doubt that firing an assault rifle at it is a viable option. Take some time, look into the nature of the anomaly, and tell me if you find any properties that would allow us to block, trap, or dissipate it.

Finally, if the anomaly manifests itself again, I think it would make sense to dispatch medical staff immediately instead of waiting on our victim to be carried all the way to the closest medical ward.

Hive, Helen, I'm sure that both of you realize that whatever this thing is, it's putting crew safety at risk and may pose a threat to our mission here. That means that getting answers is now a high priority.